PDA

View Full Version : How would i go about...

idontknow
12-12-2004, 05:45 PM
...working for a videogame company (such as chamelot or hudson)? I would want to be part of the crew that writes/submits ideas--i guess part of the design board maybe? First of all, i am only a freshman in college, but i'm trying to decide on a major and i just wanna know how reasonable it is do such a thing and what major i would need.

Gerudo
12-12-2004, 05:47 PM
you're asking us? o.O

if you are interested in something like that, i would try to see if they have websites available, and poke around for a 'contact us' link or something...

Rainman
12-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Just gain all the experience necessary to work on video games. If you want to program than your going to have to spend a lot of time becoming a really good programmer. I'm not sure how you get into game design, but I'm sure it not all that unusual of a process. Applying to game companies is like any other job. You just have to have the abilities needed. The only thing that difficult about getting into the industry is that their are limited position for a shit load of people who want to them. Companies have pages on their websites usually on whether they list what position are opened and fairly specific information on what they want you to know.

Here's an example:
http://bungie.com/Inside/Page.aspx?section=Jobs&subsection=Main&page=1

Jigglysaint
12-12-2004, 06:55 PM
I think the ability to read and write in japaneese is a requisite.

idontknow
12-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I think the ability to read and write in japaneese is a requisite

Umm...are u serious or is that a joke?

King Link
12-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Game development is a difficult industry to get into. I don't know first hand, but I know several ways to get into it.

First of all, you will want to study coding (i.e. C/C+(+)) and maybe attend some courses which study such things. There are some institutions that offer courses in game design such as the International Academy of Design and Technology in Toronto. Another is the well known Full Sail in Orlando, Florida.

Some companies, such as Digital Extremes (Unreal Tournament 2003/2004) keep a look out for exceptional modifications for games. At the least, working on modifications and mapping can be good practice. I recommend the three I have the most experience with (even though I have next to no skill and little understanding of them) The Elder Scrolls Construction Set (Morrowind), the Aurora Toolset (Neverwinter Nights) and the UT Version 3.0 Editor (Unreal Tournament 2003/2004).

Those are a few suggestions. Try reading over some job profiles for companies that are looking to hire new people to work for them, such as BioWare's (http://www.bioware.com) job page.

Also, unless you want to work in Japan, Japanese isn't a prerequisite.

Those are my suggestions.

Pablo
12-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Doesn't Cloral work for a game company of some kind? Try PMing him for tips.

gdorf
12-13-2004, 02:32 AM
idon'tknow.

:)

JK. Actually, I think you should go to a college just like many major careers. Study computer science, and do the very best you can. Also, there are colleges aimed specifically towards getting you into the field of video gaming. Digipen is one such institute. I recently had the opportunity to visit Ganonator at Digipen, and it was pretty cool. You might wanna ask him about it.

Ganonator
12-13-2004, 03:37 AM
Yesh.. gdorf and I kicked it for a day at the 'pen about a month ago, so I can tell you some things you might want to know.

First of all, no respectable company is going to hire some shmoe kid off of the streets to design games. That is pretty much the most glorified position in the game world, so you have to start on the bottom and work your way up there.

The best way, and my most personally enjoyable path, is to get into it ground level as a programmer - you can attend digipen, fullsail, even westward in denver. Get your degree from them, now get into a game company.

Work there for 5-10 years, working your way though the ranks, and if you do a good enough job, you'll either get a promotion as a tech director (where i'd like to be), a Producer(a spot I will probably get to some day), or a designer.

There is no place where you can just 'be a designer'. It takes years of planning and hard work. And if you are serious about doing it, you should drop your non-gaming college and go to one where you can actively pursue a career in this field.

AlexMax
12-13-2004, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't count on it. First of all, EVERYONE wants to work in game design, so you're going to haev some hot competition. Second of all, the hours are long, the benefits are few, and at most company's you're almost always in cruch mode. And if the game you are working on sucks, then tough noogies, you're going to have to put up with it. And reguardless of how much of a superstar you are, you will get fucked, eventually. Look what happened to Lord British from OSI, or the entire Black Isle development team working on Fallout 3.

Kairyu
12-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Second of all, the hours are long, the benefits are few, and at most company's you're almost always in cruch mode. And if the game you are working on sucks, then tough noogies, you're going to have to put up with it. And reguardless of how much of a superstar you are, you will get fucked, eventually. Look what happened to Lord British from OSI, or the entire Black Isle development team working on Fallout 3.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/11/news_6112998.html

AlexMax
12-13-2004, 11:48 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/11/news_6112998.html

Exactly what I had in mind, thank you.

Ganonator
12-16-2004, 04:12 PM
I hadn't seen that article, but I understand what it means.

For example, at school last week, I had put in a 9a-midnight shift Thursday and Friday, plus a 10a-8p on the same saturday just to meet deadlines. That's 40 hours, kids, in 3 days.

I know it's not going to magically be any different when I get a real job, so I enjoy time off when I get it.

DsS Game
12-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Man that is something you have to look for yourself.

Otherwise just try your best I guess.

Daywalker