PDA

View Full Version : Changing Link

LanDi
12-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone, i have an idea, but im not sure exactly how to do it in zquest, i really hope it isnt too ambitious...

basically i want to be able to change the way link looks throughout the game, i mean as a playable link. i know you can get the rings and it changes the pallette of his tunic, but thats not what i mean.

i mean to say that you play as a seperate link sprite after an event, basically like an example, in Wind Waker you start off as link without is tunic, then later get the tunic, is it possible for me to somehow make it so that when link gets the tunic (lets say i make that the blue ring) i can completely change his playable sprite image in the game. can i make link playable without his tunic and then give him one later? heck nm tunics, i should be able to make link a slobbering monster if i want lol....basically can i alter the sprites mid game or is it hardcoded :(?

and if it is hard coded, is there a way of "getting around it" using some kind of loopholes or what not?

thanks in advance everyone
happy questing

Espo
12-10-2004, 08:47 AM
The game gets the sprites that are used for the playable character from specific locations on the tile page. This is a great idea but I think the way to do it is to have the game use a pointer to the first link sprite that can be control by the game designer when building a quest. A good idea but I don't think it is doable right now.

Orion
12-10-2004, 02:06 PM
The only way you could really do it would be to change his appearance every time he got a shield, since that is the only time the sprites switch.

Dart Zaidyer
12-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Check out the beta reports. "Link Tile Mods" allow you to do exactly what you're describing. But of course, you'll have to wait until the next stable release like everyone else.

LanDi
12-10-2004, 05:21 PM
thanks a lot for your responses

when you say getting a new sheild, how exactly do you point the editor to the new link sprites when he gets that shield? how does it even know how to update it itself?

and for the new beta reports? where are they? id like to have a look at the new features being added...and can i begin to implement them now? im just starting work on my new quest and it will probably take a while before im finished, perhaps the stable version would be released by then.

oh and i know this is probably stupid to ask, but do you have any clue when the new beta will be released?

thanks again everyone
Happy Questing

CrystalBlade
12-11-2004, 02:00 AM
The only way you could really do it would be to change his appearance every time he got a shield, since that is the only time the sprites switch.
Actually, you can't do that because that doesn't affect Link's walk up and sword swing sprites, unfortunately. ;)

thanks a lot for your responses

when you say getting a new sheild, how exactly do you point the editor to the new link sprites when he gets that shield? how does it even know how to update it itself?
It looks at specific tiles depending on what sheild Link has. I can post a list of where they look to if you want.

and for the new beta reports? where are they? id like to have a look at the new features being added...and can i begin to implement them now? im just starting work on my new quest and it will probably take a while before im finished, perhaps the stable version would be released by then.
The beta reports (or whatever you want to call them) are at ZC.com, under "History" I believe. And in order to implement the new features, you'll have to wait for a new public beta/version. Sorry.

oh and i know this is probably stupid to ask, but do you have any clue when the new beta will be released?
Nope, not even Dark Nation knows. It all depends on how good the beta testers do and how fast it is done.

thanks again everyone
Happy Questing
Comments in bold.