PDA

View Full Version : "Dimebag", of Pantera/Damageplan, shot to death on stage...

Dracula
12-09-2004, 10:11 PM
I don't care what kind of music you're into, I don't care whether you're a metalhead or not... I hope you treat this tragic story with respect...

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nightclub.shooting/index.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/09/obit.dimebag.ap/index.html

"Dimebag" Darrel Abbott, who founded Pantera and helped form Damageplan, was shot to death at his own live concert on stage. A 25-year-old man jumped up on the stage, shot and killed the guitarist, along with three more people. The suspect also held a hostage at gunpoint before he was was shot by a police officer. Darrel Abbot was 38 years old.

This is a tragic story, not only to headbangers and metalheads, but to the world of music in general. I was just about in tears when I was told the news. Not to mention, I was supposed to see these guys live last September on my birthday (which I now regret never being able to witness). It always seems like the world stops revolving when a musician is gone.

ShadowTiger
12-09-2004, 10:14 PM
... *Sigh* ...

He'll be sorely missed. :shakeno: I'm sorry that you couldn't see him on your Birthday, man. I know how that feels ... I saw this on the news this morning. Everyone I spoke to knew about the incident after I had passed through the area. May he always be remembered in each rocking head, air-guitar strum, and scraggly music note seen passing through someone's head.

RIP, friend.

moocow
12-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Yeah, talk about a suprise when I heard that this morning. The last place I'd have ever expected someone famous to be shot and killed at is Columbus. Only 45 minutes from where I live.

I have friends that run a tattoo parlor here in Heath that have a band... they occassionally play in the Alrosa Villa.

I was a little irritated when some guy on the news today said something like, "Have you heard that music? It's not much of a loss." WTF. I never listened to the band, but jesus christ. Don't be such an old man -_-

Gerudo
12-10-2004, 02:50 AM
I was a little irritated when some guy on the news today said something like, "Have you heard that music? It's not much of a loss." WTF. I never listened to the band, but jesus christ. Don't be such an old man -_-yea, its like people care more about music that other individuals...

i only ever listened to a couple Pantera songs, and never really paid attention to damageplan... its all so crazy...

Lutraphobiac
12-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I was a little irritated when some guy on the news today said something like, "Have you heard that music? It's not much of a loss." WTF. I never listened to the band, but jesus christ. Don't be such an old man -_-

That is what you get when you have "news" people who can interject opinions. That line is particularly offensive to fans and the mans family.

Never listened, but that is sad. Kid I know always wore a Pantera shirt. I bet he is shocked.

Goat
12-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Ya, it does suck immensly. My best friend called me to tell me about it, I was sleeping cause I had just gotten off work and hes all liek dude! dime bag was killed last night, i was liek no way, he told me to turn on teh news, so i turned on fox news and they were talking about it, they showed teh arena, alarosa villa, and i wa sliek wtf? ive been there before, and then some guy came on talking about how the music is to violent and causes things liek this to happen, and i whole heartedly agree, cause it is commonplace, i know every single concert i go to at least 2 peopel are killed, people are such fags

Zelda
12-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Yea it's terrible.. I can't believe someone would do that. I never listened much to Pantera or Damageplan but I heard some of a Dimebag tribute on Sirius and they were pretty good. He'll definatly be missed.

AlexMax
12-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Why couldn't they have shot some of those assholes from Creed or Red Hot Chili Peppers insetead.

Life's so unfair. :cry:

Goat
12-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey, teh chilli peppers rock, and creed broke up, but if they were so inclined to kill anyone from nickleback, i would not object

theplustwo
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Why couldn't they have shot some of those assholes from Creed or Red Hot Chili Peppers insetead.

Life's so unfair. :cry:
Chili Peppers don't deserve to die, but Scott Stapp can drop off the face of the earth if he wants.

In Norwegian black metal, it is fairly common for bands to kill members of other bands. One of my friends is (quite inexplicably) into the whole scene. You'd never know it from seeing him walk down the street though.