PDA

View Full Version : Dance of Remembrance Question: Radien please read!!!!

LanDi
12-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Hello, im new to these forums and this is my first post, im of course interested in Zelda Classic and have worked with it long before, but i just never got around to actually joining the community. well here i am, and im starting out with a question. im not sure if this belongs in zquest help, or here but i figured it has more to do with here....

so anyway i beat Radiens Dance of Remembrance demo. First off, i would like to say WOW!...that is by far the BEST ZQuest made....even though its just a demo.....but still. i have to commemorate you Radien, for your superb job. in my quest i realised that i would also like to include cutscenes ala DoR, but am wary as to memory space of how my limitations are...

basically we have 255 maps in zquest, and i would just like to know with dance of remembrance how many of those maps have you used so far Radien, i need to know so i can plan out the scope of my game acordingly.

so Radien if your out there please respond....

oh and if your not Radien please respond too, i could use all the tips i can get :D

thanks a bunch in advance everyone
Happy Questing!

Freedom
12-09-2004, 07:19 PM
If you were to run low on anything I'd say it would not be maps but dmaps.
I think you're pretty safe on that score too, you'll have plenty :)

ShadowTiger
12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Indeed. If Radien posted regularly here, I'm sure he would thank you. quite vigorously. You can contact him over at www.purezc.com. He posts regularly there.

Reflectionist
12-18-2004, 07:44 PM
He has used 11 maps. including some things that aren't in DoR.

That is all the information I can give you.

Radien ZC
12-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi there! Sorry for the delayed answer. I don't visit this forum very often.... perhaps I should, eh? I announced my last tileset here, and it got practically no response, so I was a little discouraged.

I'm glad you like the demo! Thank you! :) I'd intended to make it memorable; hopefully the full quest will be, too... (as well as actually finished)

As for your question, Deluge Temple was absolutely crazy as far as DMaps. I've let Reflectionist see my QST file in ZQuest, so he's seen it, but I think he's choosing not to include some of the Deluge Temple DMaps because they serve odd purposes. Deluge Temple actually used 18 DMaps, all told. Here's the breakdown:

6 Dmaps for floors B2, B1, F1, F2, F3, and F4.
4 Dmaps for alternate versions of B2, B1, F1, and F2.
1 Dmap for map and compass rooms (map rooms use other Dmaps as well).
2 Cave-type DMaps for "secrets" - one for each map, as the Temple takes up two full maps.
1 Overworld-type DMap for manipulating the "Entrance/Exit" warp points.
1 Dungeon-type DMap for certain secrets that need to reset.
1 Dungeon-type Dmap for the Devil Toad boss.
1 Dungeon-type DMap for the "boss defeated" animation (just to change the MIDI).
1 DMap with no MIDI (for the final cutscene).

...I also used 10 DMaps for the areas outside the dungeon.

As you can see, I would run out of DMaps very quickly if they were all like this. The fastest way to eat up DMaps is to have dungeons with 4+ floors and complex boss flag triggers. I'm hoping to use around eight DMaps for level 2, if I can manage it.

Here's hoping they increase the max number of DMaps in a future version of ZQuest/ZC, so neither of us will have to worry about it anymore! ;)