PDA

View Full Version : Forieners Running the Country

Monica
12-09-2004, 02:27 PM
This has been debated at other forums but I don't think it's been discussed here. Everyone's heard how people in California are trying to get the rules changed so Govornater Arnold can run for president.

Now, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of letting foreiners run to be the leader of another country. That whole idea in itself seems so....wrong. I can't explain why but it does. The only reason they let Arnold be governer is because he's a make-believe action hero. They probably think he can transfer his heroics from the big screen into his policies (hence the term Govornater) I don't really have much trust for Hollywood liberals. You know they weren't paying attention because he ran as a republican.

Now, I love Arnold's movies, and I'm sure he's a decent person, but Hollywood legends do not belong in the white house, especially foreiners. It makes the way we run our country look like a joke. (and before anyone mentions Bush, at least he's a real politician and chose it as a career)

Can anyone honestly say they would want a foreiner running their country?

Rainman
12-09-2004, 02:36 PM
We're all foreigners in here if you think about it. I don't see the problem really. I think that there should be a required number of years of residency, but I don't think an outright ban is necessary. Some people think that doing such opens the door for some communist/evil-doer from another country. I really don't get this fear because as long as the voters and news reporters are doing their job we'd be OK. Oh wait....

Archibaldo
12-09-2004, 05:40 PM
On the positive side of him being president it's not like he's going to be easily assassinated.
It would be cool if the states had some one who couldn't choke on a pretzle as a president. :laughing:

Lutraphobiac
12-09-2004, 05:46 PM
You have sme valid points, but I think yu have a few misconceptions particulary about the Governorator.

The only reason they let Arnold be governer is because he's a make-believe action hero.

That is somewhat true, but that only applies to the portion of people who didn't vote before mostly. Arnold is a republican, but his policies lean toward libertarian which I believe has a strong contingency in California.

They probably think he can transfer his heroics from the big screen into his policies (hence the term Govornater)

I don't think that was why they call him the Governator people just like puns I guess. Arnold has done pretty well for the government that he inherited. It was predicted that he would himself be thrown out of office when he drove the government into the ground. That hasn't happened and he has actually made some good progress.

I don't really have much trust for Hollywood liberals. You know they weren't paying attention because he ran as a republican.

This seems a little out of line. Love for hollywood icons extend across party lines and the guy who was running against him was not to likeable(may be my opinion).

Now, I love Arnold's movies, and I'm sure he's a decent person, but Hollywood legends do not belong in the white house, especially foreiners. It makes the way we run our country look like a joke. (and before anyone mentions Bush, at least he's a real politician and chose it as a career)

Hollywood legends or not. Everyone should have a chance to get into the white house. While being famous gives kind of an unfair advantage, I think if the person is qualified then they should be able to run. I think Arnold has shown he is capable by his record.

As to other countries thinking the presidency is a joke, if you voted or wanted to vote for Bush(as indicated by your conservative tone in your post) then you shouldn't be worried. Other countries are already disappointed in that choice. I think they would like to have a European in office who has liberal social views.

Some peopel say that they think that if we have this amendment then Saddam Hussien of the world can be elected. If you believe this than you have little faith in out system. The media is sure to protect us against this and who is to say that we can't make our own Saddams.

My vote is that you should have to be a citizen for at least 20 years.

Good topic.

(Don't take offense to me quoting you so much. It helps me organize)

Monica
12-09-2004, 06:09 PM
You have sme valid points, but I think yu have a few misconceptions particulary about the Governorator.

That is somewhat true, but that only applies to the portion of people who didn't vote before mostly. Arnold is a republican, but his policies lean toward libertarian which I believe has a strong contingency in California.

I don't think that was why they call him the Governator people just like puns I guess. Arnold has done pretty well for the government that he inherited. It was predicted that he would himself be thrown out of office when he drove the government into the ground. That hasn't happened and he has actually made some good progress.

This seems a little out of line. Love for hollywood icons extend across party lines and the guy who was running against him was not to likeable(may be my opinion).

Hollywood legends or not. Everyone should have a chance to get into the white house. While being famous gives kind of an unfair advantage, I think if the person is qualified then they should be able to run. I think Arnold has shown he is capable by his record.

As to other countries thinking the presidency is a joke, if you voted or wanted to vote for Bush(as indicated by your conservative tone in your post) then you shouldn't be worried. Other countries are already disappointed in that choice. I think they would like to have a European in office who has liberal social views.

Some peopel say that they think that if we have this amendment then Saddam Hussien of the world can be elected. If you believe this than you have little faith in out system. The media is sure to protect us against this and who is to say that we can't make our own Saddams.

My vote is that you should have to be a citizen for at least 20 years.

Good topic.

(Don't take offense to me quoting you so much. It helps me organize)

Yes you have good points as well. Now that I read it, that line was out of line and I appologize. While you have a point that everyone has a right to try, it just seems so...so...unreal if an actor got it, y'know? I mean they're famous because they are entertainers, them being the president is just awkward, do you know what I mean?

No offense taken. ^_^

VEL
12-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Wasn't Ronald Reagan an actor?

Lutraphobiac
12-09-2004, 06:27 PM
The creators of the constitution created this at a time that it was much more likely that a crazy foreigner could come and take over. I believe the original intent for protection is unnecessary in the information age.

I too find that we put actors/actress on to high of a pedestal, but I know that there is no sense in fighting the popularity. All we can do is look at the person's views and ability to lead, and make a decision as to whether they would be right for our country. Ronald Reagan was an actor too, and he didn't do to bad when he wasn't going out of his mind from Alzheimer's.

Edit: Beaten on mentioning Ronald

Pablo
12-09-2004, 06:27 PM
I think that as long as a person has spent the majority of his life in the US, he should be able to run for president. This birth requirement is in my opinion unnecessary, although I can see the reasoning behind it. I believe I heard something about the birth requirement being enacted so that a foreign king (i.e. King George) couldn't run for President in the US when many citizens were still pro-Brit.

slothman
12-09-2004, 08:40 PM
The problem is that if an amendment gets passed allowing hims to be president then it will be like a mandate that he is a good job. The only reason he got CA is because he is well known, not because he has good policies. Similarly to Reagan. And if you think anyone should be able to run then does that include babies or gay people or Hitler for that matter. I ersonally don't have faith. If they can "elect" Bush then the system is broken.

punkonjunk1024
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
We are all foreigners. But the problem is, if an amendment of the likes gets passed, the presidency will become nothing but a popularity contest. That would be disgusting.

Kairyu
12-09-2004, 09:37 PM
The problem is that if an amendment gets passed allowing hims to be president then it will be like a mandate that he is a good job.
You mean "he is a good man for the job," right? If so, how did you come to that conclusion? If not, what did you mean?

The only reason he got CA is because he is well known, not because he has good policies. Similarly to Reagan.
How do we know that? It could have been because of his policies, or it could have been a combination of the two, or it could have been because the other candidates sucked, etc.

And if you think anyone should be able to run then does that include babies or gay people or Hitler for that matter.
Huh? We're talking about allowing people who have lived in the country for 20 years. Babies are, by definition, well under twenty. Hitler has presumably been dead for quite some time. Homosexuals... well, do you really think a homosexual candidate could be elected anytime soon?

I ersonally don't have faith. If they can "elect" Bush then the system is broken.
He WAS elected this year. And he was elected last election as well, due to the way "the system" works. It's the Electoral College that directly determines the President, not the American people. And the fact that the candidate you didn't like won does NOT mean the system is broken. In this case, it just means you don't agree with the majority of American voters.

We are all foreigners. But the problem is, if an amendment of the likes gets passed, the presidency will become nothing but a popularity contest. That would be disgusting.
It IS a popularity contest. The most popular person wins. If someone had policies that everyone hated, they wouldn't be popular.

On subject, the twenty-year citizenship idea sounds good to me. America is suppossed to be some sorta "melting pot" nowadays, might as well let our leadership reflect it...

punkonjunk1024
12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Oh, thats not what I meant at all.
Let me elaborate.
All of the voters who may or may not make an educated vote, and more importantly, those who are not politically minded at all and do not vote, will begin to vote for the presinator because they see a face they like. And if it was his face against kerry's... we're all screwed.

Saffith
12-09-2004, 09:52 PM
How do we know that? It could have been because of his policies, or it could have been a combination of the two, or it could have been because the other candidate sucked, etc.Candidates. Plural. Very plural. Including Arnold, there were 135 of them. It's hard to imagine he was the clear best choice.

Kairyu
12-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Candidates. Plural. Very plural. Including Arnold, there were 135 of them. It's hard to imagine he was the clear best choice.
The "clear best choice" is generally someone intelligent enough not to actually WANT political office (i.e. George Washington). Government officials pretty much are selected on a "best-availible" basis, not a "best-possible" basis. Besides, I don't know anything about the 134 other candidates, so I really don't have any clue which one of them was best. Did you have someone specific in mind?

SixTen
12-09-2004, 10:11 PM
I think as long as he's doing a good job why can't he run for president? He is a naturalized citezen I believe so who care? Change the laws. I think we've had presidents that have done more damage than what Arnold might do.

punkonjunk1024
12-09-2004, 10:23 PM
The "clear best choice" is generally someone intelligent enough not to actually WANT political office (i.e. George Washington). Government officials pretty much are selected on a "best-availible" basis, not a "best-possible" basis. Besides, I don't know anything about the 134 other candidates, so we really don't have any clue which one of them was best. Did you have someone specific in mind? Unfortunately, saffith is right. The fucking president of hustler magizine ran.
And got quite a big lump of votes. the governator won because he had a bit of politics on his side, besides his stupid popularity. Stupid. Popularity.
THAT election WAS a popularity contest. I don't want our presidental elections to look like that.
(what the hell do I care? I'm moving to canada in a little less than a year :P )

Gerudo
12-09-2004, 10:44 PM
heh...

"i vant to be president!", but will he be back?

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/dabliobr/demolition-man.jpg

Lilith
12-10-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm a libertarian and I <3 Arnold. I'd love to have him as my prez.

Lutraphobiac
12-10-2004, 02:53 PM
I see that we are having two debates here. One is debating wether celebrities should be elected, and the other is debating whether immigrants should be able to be elected. At times we seen to be confusing the the two.

The amendment is for IMMIGRANTS not celebrites. I don't see how passing this would make it such. Other celebrities could run, but have not shown interest.

I don't see the problem peole have with celebrity politicians if they have good policies. Most assume Arnold does not. (slothman)

punkonjunk1024
12-10-2004, 06:24 PM
The amendment is for IMMIGRANTS not celebrites. I don't see how passing this would make it such. Other celebrities could run, but have not shown interest.
Uh, why don't you look up all the people running for the election against arnold.
ALOT have shown interest.