PDA

View Full Version : Parents on Strike

Monica
12-08-2004, 09:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041208/ap_on_fe_st/parents_on_strike_2

DELTONA, Fla. - Even though the dishes, garbage and dirty laundry were piling up, homeowners Cat and Harlan Barnard were getting no help from their two children.

After begging and pleading with their 17-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter to help out around the house, the Barnards decided they were fed up. So they went on strike — and moved out to the front yard.

"This was our last-ditch effort," Cat Barnard said.

Since Monday morning, the Barnards have lived in a tent in their front yard, going inside the house only to use the restroom or shower. The couple sits on lawn chairs and roasts marshmallows over a hibachi.

Their children were confused on the first day when they came home from school. "It's extremely inconvenient," said their son, Ben Barnard. "Every time the phone rings, we have to run outside to give it to them."

Whether the couple's actions could be regarded as abandonment depends on how much guidance the parents are still providing and "if the children are suffering as a result," said Carrie Hoeppner, a spokeswoman with the Department of Children & Families in Orange County.

But Cat Barnard says the strike may already be paying dividends. She noted that her daughter washed her own clothes for the first time on Tuesday.

"This is war," Cat Barnard said. "I love my babies, but I don't like what they're doing."

Wow, I saw a movie called Moms on Strike, but I didn't think anyone would actually do it. I think they should be charged with neglect, that could scar a child. :(

Rainman
12-08-2004, 09:30 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041208/ap_on_fe_st/parents_on_strike_2
I think they should be charged with neglect, that could scar a child. :(
They are 12 and 17. I doubt anything bad would happen to them at this point because they should be more or less self sufficient at this point.

Masamune
12-08-2004, 09:31 PM
It's not neglect.... They sound like spoiled assholes to me. If my parents just left, I could fend for myself with the exception of grocery shopping and bills. I do my own laundry and feed myself for the most part. It'll teach the kids not to be such pussies. Build character, ya know? Especially if one is 17.

ShadowTiger
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I would probably side with the parents here. Although we have fairly limited information as to the actual behavior of the kids, the parents would probably know best. I mean, it's a parent's job to make sure that the kids grow up right, ... right? And the girl washing her own clothes for once is a pretty good start. Either the kids will learn to take responsibiltiy for their own actions, (Albeit eventually.) or they'll just sit inside and watch TV and fail, or they'll get the hint and try harder.

Archibaldo
12-08-2004, 09:49 PM
If I were the kids I'd fight fire with fire. If any one calls, I would just say that my parents arn't around. (insert maniacle laughter here)
But that parents are being a little harsh. There are better ways to do things. If they wanted their kids to do their own laundry, just wash all you clothes and leave the kids clothes sitting in the hamper.
I could easily live on my own, I would just need a job and a legal guardian to sign certain papers.

Rijuhn
12-08-2004, 09:52 PM
I applaud the efforts of these two parents. Their fresh approach to parenting is already paying off if the girl is washing her clothes for the first time.

ShadowTiger
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
*Cough* .. I believe someone from Pure recommended that they should turn on the sprinklers..

Lutraphobiac
12-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Sounds like something a child would do. You are their damn parents suck it up and deal with it. You are to much of a pussy to dicipline your child on a regular basis so you think of some outlandish scheme. I wouldn't say neglect, but I don't think they were doing such a bang up job before this.

gdorf
12-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Sounds like something a child would do. You are their damn parents suck it up and deal with it. You are to much of a pussy to dicipline your child on a regular basis so you think of some outlandish scheme. I wouldn't say neglect, but I don't think I bang up job before this.

No, I am not their damn parents, and I am not a pussy. Oh wait, were you talking about the parents? Oh.. sorry.. I couldn't tell from the way you posted :shrug:

I think we all know what these children really need: physical abuse. A yardstick or a hot iron would do nicely to teach them some respect. :sb:

Archibaldo
12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
I think we all know what these children really need: physical abuse. A yardstick or a hot iron would do nicely to teach them some respect. :sb:
I agree with gdorf here. There's nothing a good beat down won't solve. :D

Lutraphobiac
12-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Oh.. sorry.. I couldn't tell from the way you posted

You are so clever

slothman
12-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Of course I don't know what happened but the parents do seem fed up. Of course they could just not allow the kids to have amenities such as dessert or allowance or TV. Just "bread and water" and room of course. Though I don't know why they don't spank. That's not that bad if done sparingly.

AlexMax
12-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Such is the reason why I am never having kids. Ever

Trusso
12-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Maybe if they werent such sucky parents they wouldnt have to go on strike because they would have raised their kids better in the first place. Seems to me that they are horrable parents who did a bad job, and are now doing a worse one.

me2
12-09-2004, 12:45 AM
if I don't do what I have to do and they tell me 3 times, I get whipped. it's not like "I told you to shower plenty of times already! I'm living outside!" if my parents acted that way, I won't take a shower just to watch them go out in the rain. my parents make me do laundry, make my lunch, take out the trash, vaccuum, and clean. I don't get paid. I love my parents for making me work so hard. (that wasn't sarcasm btw)

Pangolin
12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Thats quite ridiculous. I'd say that was lazy. If you're going to have children, you must take into account that it is a full time job that you cannot shirk or not attend. It follows you.