PDA

View Full Version : A question about DMaps

Drakmyth
12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi all. I just started using insta-warps to make some nice effects. However, since these insta-warp effects usually involve going to an identicle screen on the same map, although the playing area doesn't notice a difference, Link's dot jumps all over the place on the mini-map. When I use Dungeon DMaps an invisible wall ends up blocking part of my levels so I use overworld DMaps for everything and, except for the mini-map problem, it works fine. Anywho, I was wondering if there was a way to trick the mini-map into thinking you never left the room but still allowing me to warp Link to identicle rooms for the same effects.

Example:
I made a special shutter door that opens when you get near it and closes when you move away from it. In room one, the door is closed and there are insta-warps about halfway up the screen. When you pass them they move you one screen down which is an identicle screen with the door open. Passing lower than halfway on this screen insta-warps you back to the closed door screen.

The problem is that on the mini-map, Link moves up and down when he warps. I want to keep the Link dot from moving when I do this. Is this possible and if so... how?

Thanks for you're help.

Ganonator
12-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I've always made the identical d-map on a different map, where the maps both aligned as far as the x-offset was concerned.

So, if i'm in room 3a in dmap X, and warp to the identical room in dmap Y, i'm still in room 3a, just on a different map.

*b*
12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
or, you could disable the subscreen, which will erase the menu above the gameplay screen, so you don't have to worry about that. it looks kinds funky sometimes, but it's better than having 50+ DMaps for a simple cutscene

Drakmyth
12-09-2004, 12:28 AM
If it were for a cutscene I would but these warps I'm using are during gameplay so to disabled the subscreen would kinda mess up the gameplay.