PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Gameboy Player for someone who has one

Mitsukara
12-08-2004, 05:59 AM
Okay, so they finally made a newer version of the Super Gameboy, just one year after I actually found and bought a Super Gameboy. That's okay because I love my Super Gameboy, but in light of the fact it has no compatability with Gameboy Color or Advance games, I've been thinking about trying to get a Gameboy Player for my Gamecube in the next few years... or decades, at least...

So anyway, I've only seen one in use once, and only very briefly then, and I'm wondering some things about it.

Do the games play absolutely full-screen, or are they in the middle of the screen with a big fat border around them like Super Gameboy? Or is it resizeable or something? I would think old Gameboy games would fit most TVs, but GBA games are wide and would probably have black lines at the top and bottom... is something like that correct?

For old Gameboy games (if I had one I'd use it for Super Mario Land all the time ^.^), is there any sort of feature that allows you to set your own color pallette? The SGB had a utility where you could use 4 different shades of about 40 colors for everything (in addition to some suggested pallettes made-in), whereas the GBA lets you pick only from a few preset color schemes. I figure the Gameboy player probably has a feature similar to the GBA one, but I'm wondering if it allows a custom scheme as well, and if sprites for moving objects can be set seperately (SGB doesn't recognize it, but the GBA color pallettes use two different color schemes for each preset, one for "active objects" and one for "background objects". For instance, Mario and the enemies would be red and everything else would be green).

Can you set your own Controller scheme at all? It'd be really awesome to use Y for B and A for A, instead of that silly typical Gamecube B button business.

Can you use both the joystick and the D-pad (arrow pad), or just one or the other? I'm guessing both, but I don't know for sure...

Finally, are there any compatability problems with any particular games? I'd mostly play stuff like Super Mario Land 1 & 2, Link's Awakening (original, although I keep meaning to buy a copy of DX...), Super Mario Bros DX, etc. on it, although I do have a few GBA games I would also play.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated! ^.^

Zero Wing
12-08-2004, 12:33 PM
For old Gameboy games (if I had one I'd use it for Super Mario Land all the time ^.^), is there any sort of feature that allows you to set your own color pallette? The SGB had a utility where you could use 4 different shades of about 40 colors for everything (in addition to some suggested pallettes made-in), whereas the GBA lets you pick only from a few preset color schemes. I figure the Gameboy player probably has a feature similar to the GBA one, but I'm wondering if it allows a custom scheme as well, and if sprites for moving objects can be set seperately (SGB doesn't recognize it, but the GBA color pallettes use two different color schemes for each preset, one for "active objects" and one for "background objects". For instance, Mario and the enemies would be red and everything else would be green).
methinks it be a preset color scheme

Finally, are there any compatability problems with any particular games?
the only games that I can think are the ones that use the rumble/motion effects

but in light of the fact it has no compatability with Gameboy Color or Advance games
the black GBC carts work on the SGB

Saffith
12-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Do the games play absolutely full-screen, or are they in the middle of the screen with a big fat border around them like Super Gameboy? Or is it resizeable or something? I would think old Gameboy games would fit most TVs, but GBA games are wide and would probably have black lines at the top and bottom... is something like that correct?You can switch between 1:1 and fullscreen. GB and GBC games stay within the GBA screen, though.

For old Gameboy games (if I had one I'd use it for Super Mario Land all the time ^.^), is there any sort of feature that allows you to set your own color pallette?Nope. It handles them the same way the GBA does.

Can you set your own Controller scheme at all? It'd be really awesome to use Y for B and A for A, instead of that silly typical Gamecube B button business.Only to a very limited extent. A, B, and Start always correspond to A, B, and Start. R and L on the GBA can be set to either R and L or X and Y on the Cube, with Select being mapped to the other pair.

Can you use both the joystick and the D-pad (arrow pad), or just one or the other? I'm guessing both, but I don't know for sure...You can use either one at any time.

Finally, are there any compatability problems with any particular games?Not that I'm aware of. I think it has exactly the same compatibility as the GBA.

DsS Game
12-08-2004, 06:34 PM
It's capability is the same as the GBA.

Daywalker