PDA

View Full Version : Original Quests

boram_c
12-07-2004, 01:27 AM
I would like some input on the following question: please rank all 18 dungeons in both the first and second quests in order of least difficulty to most difficulty in terms of the following attributes:

Map layout: the size and structure of the dungeon's floor plan; how far does the player has to travel around the various parts of the dungeon

Enemies: the enemy formations, traps, and active stone statues used throughout the dungeon

Items: the available disposable items strewn around the different rooms, the ease of finding the map and compass, the ease of locating the dungeon item(s)

Secrets: the number and complexity of secrets that have to be unraveled in the dungeon

When making your lists, please refer to each dungeon by the quest number followed by the dungeon number separated by a period (e.g. 1.5, 2.4).

To keep consistency in rating the dungeons, please assume in all cases that Link has a life meter with eight hearts and four bombs (eight maximum possible) as well as the following items: White Sword, a Magic Shield, the Blue Ring, a Blue Candle, a Red Water of Life, the magical Boomerang, and any items (other than bombs) necessary to defeat certain bosses except for those found in the dungeon considered (e.g. in 1.5, assume Link starts out with no Recorder; in 1.6, assume Link already has the Bow and Arrows).

Edit: If possible, please list all eighteen dungeons on a list of difficulty.

Foxx
12-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Hmmm...... fascinating that someone should pose this problem. I once theorized very similar rankings for the dungeons many years ago.

In my rankings, there were two categories: "Enemies" (the difficulty of the fighting component) and "Maze" (which is basically a combination of map layout/items/secrets). Also, I had the dungeons in the first and second quests ranked separately.

So here are the rankings I arrived at for the difficulty of the original dungeons:

First Quest

Enemies: 1.1; 1.2; 1.3; 1.4; 1.5; 1.7; 1.8; 1.6; 1.9 (here, I can't remember if I had 1.5 and 1.7 switched, they're very close)
Map layout/items/secrets: 1.1; 1.2; 1.3; 1.4; 1.5; 1.6; 1.8; 1.7; 1.9

Second Quest

Enemies: 2.1; 2.3; 2.2; 2.4; 2.8; 2.7; 2.5; 2.6; 2.9
Map layout/items/secrets: 2.1; 2.3; 2.2; 2.5; 2.4; 2.6; 2.7; 2.8; 2.9

As for breaking down the "maze" category further, or comparing levels across quests, that was never part of my analysis; I may take a closer look at that later.

Ganonator
12-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Secrets: the number and complexity of secrets that have to be unraveled in the dungeon

Z1 had great game design, where the learning curve was done during gameplay.

1.1 - one push block.
1.2 - bombable walls, boss required special means to defeat
1.3 - smarter AI, one dead end
1.4 - dark rooms, couldn't initially enter this room
1.5 - hidden areas to find (required to beat level), dungeon itself was in a strange place
1.6 - smarter AI, hidden areas, boss requires item not found in dungeon
1.7 - hidden dungeon, nested hidden areas, dead ends
1.8 - totally hidden dungeon, smarter AI, tunnels
1.9 - new enemies, maze complexity, size.

If you'll notice, things in the first level are used in subsequent levels, for instance, you won't see something in an earlier level that you won't find again in a later one.

Second quest was the same, but had a but more of a challenege.

2.1 - Required map to find the boss
2.2 - Hidden Entrance, walk through walls (forced), dead ends
2.3 - required extra work and key.
2.4 - Suns, lose life/money room, where the fuck is the raft
2.5 - Very difficult enemies ( at the time )
2.6 - Hidden dungeon, dead ends, requires bombs again*
2.7 - Hidden dungeon, warps in a variety of rooms (some no return track)
2.8 - Completely Hidden, warps in almost every room, after you beat it, you can go for the 'next piece'
2.9 - pwnage.

I've taken a lot of game design theory, and I feel that this game is one of the best for people who have never played a console game before.
Also, take Mario 1. You must jump before you are required to jump to survive.

boram_c
12-11-2004, 03:16 PM

Z1 had great game design, where the learning curve was done during gameplay.

1.1 - one push block.
1.2 - bombable walls, boss required special means to defeat
1.3 - smarter AI, one dead end
1.4 - dark rooms, couldn't initially enter this room
1.5 - hidden areas to find (required to beat level), dungeon itself was in a strange place
1.6 - smarter AI, hidden areas, boss requires item not found in dungeon
1.7 - hidden dungeon, nested hidden areas, dead ends
1.8 - totally hidden dungeon, smarter AI, tunnels
1.9 - new enemies, maze complexity, size.

If you'll notice, things in the first level are used in subsequent levels, for instance, you won't see something in an earlier level that you won't find again in a later one.

Second quest was the same, but had a but more of a challenege.

2.1 - Required map to find the boss
2.2 - Hidden Entrance, walk through walls (forced), dead ends
2.3 - required extra work and key.
2.4 - Suns, lose life/money room, where the f--k is the raft
2.5 - Very difficult enemies ( at the time )
2.6 - Hidden dungeon, dead ends, requires bombs again*
2.7 - Hidden dungeon, warps in a variety of rooms (some no return track)
2.8 - Completely Hidden, warps in almost every room, after you beat it, you can go for the 'next piece'
2.9 - pwnage.

I've taken a lot of game design theory, and I feel that this game is one of the best for people who have never played a console game before.
Also, take Mario 1. You must jump before you are required to jump to survive.
Ganonator, the location of 2.8 is given by a hint in 2.6:

"South of arrow mark hides a secret."

South of the arrow (where one can find the Magical Sword) is the location of 2.8. Of course, why this hint is located in 2.6 is a mystery to me.