PDA

View Full Version : Request a review!

vegeta1215
12-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Instead of having a review subforum like we had discussed, myself and BH4 have come up with a more simple way for members to get info on the games they're curious about playing. It's called "request a review."

The way it works is:
1) You post the name of a game you want to know about.
2) Members will post mini-reviews of the game you requested.

----------------------

The mini-reviews should be brief so people will be willing to write them - they should consist of 1-2 paragraphs of comments on the game, and a short list of goods and bads about the game. At the end you may state whether you recommend the game or not (and post a rating from 1-10 if you feel the need to)

So, anyone who has played the games requested below, please help your fellow AGN members out by writing mini-reviews!

Requested games:
----------------------
- Baten Kaitos - GCN
- Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg - GCN
- Goldeneye: Rogue Agent - Multiple
- Mario Power Tennis - GCN
- Ninja Gaiden - X-Box
- Shaq-Fu - SNES
- Star Wars: KOTOR - PC
- X-Men: Legends - GCN

Kairyu
12-05-2004, 11:33 PM
X-Men: Legends for GCN. Is it like Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, but with X-Men and fewer glitches? Or is it something else?

AtmaWeapon
12-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Shaq-Fu for the SNES. I heard it was what Street Fighter wishes it could be.

Archibaldo
12-07-2004, 10:55 PM
I would like to see a review for Baten Kaitos.

mikeron
12-08-2004, 06:50 AM
A review of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent by someone who is into the multiplayer aspect would be nice.

ShadowTiger
12-08-2004, 04:13 PM
I would like to see a review for Baten Kaitos.
It's not much of a review, but I did find This (http://www.zhq2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3427).

Archibaldo
12-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks BH4. But I'd still like to see a more in-depth review.

vegeta1215
12-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks BH4. But I'd still like to see a more in-depth review.

I can link you more in depth reviews if you'd like (I find Gamespot's to be very good), but that's not really the purpose of this thread. It's here for people to request reviews and then have AGNer's post about their OWN experiences from playing the games in mini-reviews (I say mini-reviews because I don't think enough AGNer's would be willing to write long in-depth reviews)

C'mon people! Surely someone has played the games people have requested.

UPDATE: I'll be adding any newly requested games to a list in the first post so that those willing to post mini-reviews can see which ones have been requested without searching through the whole thread.

Kairyu
12-10-2004, 09:18 AM
I hadn't heard many nice things about the Shaq-Fu games before, but I did hear plenty of not-nice things. From my experiences, I don't really think that's justified. Shaq Fu is short, but it's not really BAD, just different.

Shaq-Fu is a fighting game featuring a mummy named Sett. It also features Shaquille O Neal as the main character. It's by EA, "Delphine studios," and probably some other people too. It has a Vs. mode which doubles as an Arcade mode when you don't have a second player, a Story mode, a tournament mode, and options. The options are fairly standard, stuff like adjusting time and controls.

The gameplay is fairly simple. Control pad is move, guard, duck and jump. A, B, X, and Y are punch and kick with two versions of each. L works with the control pad: if you hold L and press left or right, you'll dash, If you hold L and down, you'll form a temporary anti-projectile shield, and if you hold L and a direction while next to the opponent, you'll throw them. R taunts the opponent. There's also a fury bar right below your health bar that rises as you take damage, and when it's maxed out your character flashes red for a while, but I haven't noticed any actual uses for this yet.

The controls feel somewhat loose, but not in a bad way. Characters almost seem to be floating sometimes, but you get used to it quickly and it's not really a problem. Specials are performed a bit differently than in most fighting games. Commands are performed by pressing a series of directions, and then an attack button. The difference is, only left, right, and down are used. For instance, Shaq's flame kick is Down, Forward, Kick. Not Down, Down-Forward, Forward, Kick. Some other unusual combinations are used, like Forward, Back, Forward or Down, Back, Down, but once you figure out what they are it's pretty simple to perform them on a regular basis.

There are 7 characters, and they all play very differently. They're also well balanced, with the exception of Shaq, who is actually too WEAK. His only specials are a low, spinning projectile and a point-blank flaming spin kick that does lots of damage. His forward dash also sucks, so it's hard to get close enough to use his flame kick, which is his only really good attack. And you're only allowed to play story mode with Shaq.

The game's defining element, though, is the silliness. It's never laugh-out-loud hilarious, but it's not bad for a SNES fighting game. Whenever a character, any character, even the final boss, gets seriously injured, their character portrait changes so that it looks like they're about to cry. In Vs. mode, each character has insults specific to each other character. Interestingly enough, if you go Shaq Vs. Shaq, the winner calls the loser ugly, even though they're the same player.

All in all, I'd say Shaq-Fu makes a nice little diversion from traditional fighters, but not enough to pay more than $10 for. I'd give it 6/10, for above average.

Quote of the game: "My name is Kaori and I'm going to seriously damage your body!" - Kaori

Dark Knight
12-11-2004, 02:56 PM
I want to see a review over Ninja Gaiden for teh Xbox.

JD_8386
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM
I would like one on Star Wars: Knights of the Old republic (1 not 2) for PC

Samson007
12-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Shaq-Fu for the SNES. I heard it was what Street Fighter wishes it could be.

Shaq fu was an excellent game with many hours of joyful gameplay. I remember this game qhite well. Plenty of characters to play with, each with their own set of special moves in quick fight mode.

In story mode, you are Shaq, who's basketball game is interrupted by monsters, you must get your revenge, so you set out on a series of fights. Its fun, its strange, its a good game.

Now, the game I want reviewed is Mario Power Tennis. Im supposed to get it for christmas and so far ive heard good things. With the exception of the annoying cut scenes when you use a power shot. Luckily you can turn power shots off all together so it will be good either way, I just want another persons perspective on the game.

vegeta1215
12-22-2004, 05:30 PM
C'mon people! Surely someone at AGN has played the games in the list at the top of this thread!

Kairyu
12-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Yeah, seriously. I KNOW for a fact that people here have played most of those games...

By the way, there are a couple of Shaq-Fu reviews already. Do you keep a request in the list even if it's been fulfilled, or should we have a separate list for completed entries, or... ?

vegeta1215
12-22-2004, 11:26 PM
I was gonna keep titles listed in case others wanted to add reviews of their own. I'm open to ideas though.

I'm not really worried about Shaq-Fu. I think Atma's request for it was intended as a joke - that game has gotten some of the worst reviews in video game history.

EDIT: I decided to un-sticky this thread cause people weren't really participating like I thought they would :( Oh well...