PDA

View Full Version : Need Computer help please

Master Ghaleon
12-05-2004, 12:46 AM
Alrighty, my computer keeps on restarting its self when Im trying to update my modem. It also was doing this when I tried to install WoW. Now I pretty much have everything updated that I know of except the modem and SP2, which I cannot do cause the computer resets itself. I am running WinXP

This Message appears when I do the error report

HERE (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=0466d29f-5ab3-42ff-9a3f-879451960dd4&SID=11#top)

I dunno what the hell to do. Anyone of you Computer heads know how I can fix this so I can finally be relieved from this pain and suffering. It will be much appreciated

gdorf
12-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Uninstall and reinstall your video card drivers and try again

Master Ghaleon
12-05-2004, 01:36 AM
I found BETA drivers for the card that im downloading right now

Here is some more info

I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video card

Blue screen will sometimes say "performing dump of physical memory" which I take it as " Computer just shit its pants"

and ive got 2 black screens.

If this download doesnt work, Ill go with gdorf's plan

Ganonator
12-05-2004, 03:37 AM
That is the exact same error I receive when I try to play SE on an nvidia machine. I guess try the new drivers, and good luck.

Master Ghaleon
12-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Got the new driver installed, and tried to install the game. Same thing happened again. So after that I went back to the Windows Update page and there was a new critical update file to download. What this file does is it will tell ya if the PS2 wasnt install right cause they had problems with it not and people werent able to redownload. So after I got it a message appeared that my system is unstable because of SP2 not installed right. So, I went into the Add/Remove Programs and went down to SP2 to remove. Well at the very end it says it cannot find file specified " Service pack 2" Service Pack 2 not uninstalled.

So how am I supposed to get rid of it?

Or If I can find a download of it, to save it to my computer and then installing it. That should overwrite all the files and fix them all. Im thinking thats what I should do.

mikeron
12-05-2004, 06:04 PM
The last time Windows told me I had a video driver problem, I updated my chipset drivers, then updated my video card drivers. Problem solved. That error reporting thing never ceases to amaze me with its lack of usefulness.

AtmaWeapon
12-05-2004, 06:21 PM
If you're looking to retry the SP2 install, look here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en).

If SP2 isn't configured correctly (install was canceled or whatnot) odd things can happen. Since it replaces a LOT of system files with new versions, and if some don't get replaced it can cause intermittent problems.

You have two choices.

First, you can try to go back to a good System Restore point. If I'm not mistaken, the SP2 setup makes one by default and you'll want to go before then. If you still have the problem, go on to step 2.

Step 2 is catalog every piece of hardware in your machine, including the motherboard. Find drivers for everything and update every driver (I'd stay away from the beta drivers you mentioned).

WinXP only craps out like that when there's a severe hardware misconfiguration or failure, so there's something that needs to be fixed. How long has this computer run on that partition, and how many hardware changes have been made? How many applications do you have installed? The basic rule of thumb I've found (and this holds in Linux as well) is that every application you install reduces the stability of the system by a margin that varies with how deep into the system the application goes. Adopting the philosophy "I will only install what I need, and nothing more" can work wonders for extending the life of a system.

Anyway, if I remember the last few times I got this specific error, the dialog actually claimed (paraphrased) "I'm not sure what happened but it's usually a graphics driver that causes this so I'm blaming it on the graphics driver." In my opinion, you've got a driver conflict of some sort.

Master Ghaleon
12-06-2004, 11:59 PM
I did a system restore point before SP2. It fucked my puter up worse

This is what happened to my last puter. The fan stopped working and burnt the proccesor. So I brought a new motherboard, Proccesor, fan, and a videocard. Now when he tried to put in my 256 ddr mem stick into my new mother board, he said that in one slot the computer wouldnt work, but the other slot the computer turned on. Could it just be a bad mem stick thats fucking everything up? Or even bad slots in the motherboard? Its a M7VIG 400 mainboard., is that a POS motherboard?

Bitchin'Boy
01-14-2005, 07:43 PM
If none of (o') the above works call the company who made that computer & get a replacement.

I am 17 right now but on Feburary 12, 2005 I will be 18!!!

So when I move out I'll get my own Windows XP & post here how much it costed me plus how much my internet costs if I am allowed of course.

goKi
01-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Stop digging up old threads.... :\

please... just die.

Ganonator
01-14-2005, 08:17 PM
4.No multiple nicknames
There is a limit of one account/nickname per person at AGN. Whether it's because you cannot decide on a nick or because you're trying to evade a ban, registering more than one account is not permitted.

From the official rules. Banned.

DsS Game
01-18-2005, 12:15 AM
rofl whats funny is I was about to help him until I realized how old the thread is. Dude close it.

Daywalker

Mega Man
01-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Well what I would do is, save everything that you know is safe & possible to a blank disc & Restart the computer.

Then, after that, put the files back on the computer if that does not work look below.

If nothing else works call the company and say what you did and ask if you need a replacement.

Master Ghaleon
01-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Someone please close this thread before it gets more infected with more crap.

My puter is up and running. so no more help and useless posts

goKi
01-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Alright, Closed at request of author. Problem was solved a long time ago.