PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem - CD-RW Drive

King Link
12-04-2004, 02:01 AM
When I try to load up a CD of some sort, nothing happens. No autoplay, and under My Computer, the system doesn't even seem to realize there is a disc in the drive. You can't double click on the icon and start anything up. It just continues to remain as the normal icon when a CD isn't in the D: drive.

For reference, this includes all discs (games and such) that I own. I've had the computer since about June, been playing games since. Now, the same games that I've been playing for the last five or six months won't start up.

Anyways, if you can understand my problem, and you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate the help.

Radium
12-04-2004, 02:09 AM
1. Is the CD-Drive plugged into your motherboard properly?
2. The drive's lens may be dirty.
3. There may be a firmware update for your cd drive on the CD drive manufacturers website that you should install.
4. Do you have all the windows updates?
5. Have you installed any new hardware that may have caused the problem?
6. Anything else you remember doing right before the problem started happening?

Gerudo
12-04-2004, 02:11 AM
i would highly recommend checking the cables if you havent already, also rebooting may help.

do the cd's spin when you insert them?

King Link
12-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Thanks Radium, I'm gonna check those.

And Gerudo, no, the CDs aren't spinning.

Gerudo
12-04-2004, 03:15 AM
then theres your problem... the motor in the cd might be shot, then you need a new drive... (or at least someone who can fix it)

King Link
12-04-2004, 03:18 AM
Ah, okay, thanks. Appreciate the help.

Radium
12-04-2004, 02:17 PM
The belt in the drive may also have come loose... you might be able to fix that ;) assuming it has a belt... some don't I'm sure.

Michaelk88
12-04-2004, 07:38 PM
my laptops cd drive dont have a belt becuase the lens and spinning thing is on the tray..

Ganon's Minion
12-04-2004, 10:36 PM
The whole deal is sort of pissing me off. The discs aren't spinning or anything yet, we'll probably just have to send it back into the shops for a little while.