PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems

PrinceMSC
12-01-2004, 08:12 PM
I just bought a new computer a few days ago and downloaded Alpha 4 windows version. I'm using Windows XP, and ZC and ZQ work fine other than the sound. I cannot get sound to work in either programs. So is there something I need to tweak? Or am I doomed?

:king: PrinceMSC :king:

Freedom
12-01-2004, 09:14 PM
You'll need to set up your drivers.

here's the info I collected up, it may help

If you run AG setup.exe, then go to midi driver, it'll ask you for your sound card and give you a list. If yours isn't on the list, it's not compatible.

Okay, don't mess with the patches and such... leave them at default. Try changing your midi device to either "MPU-401" or "Midi Out". Don't use auto-detect: it'll usually give the generic "Adlib" option, which is probably what the problem is.

Thank you Overdrive it worked!

Ok Tudorcat this is what you should do!

1-Go into AGSetup
2-Go to Digital Driver
3-Click on Generic SB
4-Listen to what the bottom screen says and set everything to what the "usually" is.
5-Click ok
6-Go to the other sound option
7-Select MPU-401
8-Select everything to what the bottom screen says
9-Click ok, save the changes.
10-Run Zelda

Boomaster choose MPU-401 anyway. Let me tell you that I don't have a Generic SB or MPU-401 but it worked. Choose it anyway then in the options screen set the stuff to what the bottom screen says. Click ok, and run Zelda.

If this doesn't work just keep playing around with all the sound cards and save. Eventually something should work. After trying a sound card imediately set the options and save and run Zelda.

DON'T DO A SOUND TEST IN AGSETUP, IT WILL FAIL!

DO A SOUND TEST ONLY IN THE ZELDA GAME!

--------------------------
what I did for mine
--------------------------

set Digital Driver to "Soundblaster Pro" and "usual" settings as instructed by the Agsetup.exe
set Midi Driver to "Adlib (opl2) and "usual" settings.

PrinceMSC
12-01-2004, 10:12 PM
After downloading version 1.84 to get AG Setup, I used it to run a sound test. Everything in the program works fine as far as sound goes. But after I saved and exited, I then opened up the windows version Alpha 4 and tried to play music but there was no sound. AG Setup is in the same folder as Alpha 4 btw.

I also downloaded the DOS version of Alpha 4 and when I first opened it up there was this repeating noise that wouldn't go away. It sounded like someone was pushing an annoying beeping button over and over quickly. I tried to get sound to work in it but nothing happened. But after I ran AG Setup I then had sound in the DOS version of Alpha 4. But the beep noise was still there and was louder than the music.

PrinceMSC
12-03-2004, 06:56 PM
For the past couple of days I have been messing around with the sound on my computer, hoping that maybe I can get the sound to work in the windows versions of Alpha 4. Nothing I did fixed the problem. And then I got to thinking if the other Alphas sound works for me. So I downloaded the windows version of Alpha 2, and the sound works just fine. Then I downloaded the windows version of Alpha 3, and once again the sound works just fine. So I then downloaded Alpha 4 one more time, and I got the same result as the other alpha 4, the sound doesn't work.

Dark Nation, something you did after alpha 3 has made it to where I can't hear sound in the ZC program. I sure hope that alpha 5 sound works for me. Or the possible Christmas version.

Below is allegro. I'm not sure if this helps any, but I decided to post it just in case.

ZQuest v1.93 Alpha (Build 3)
Allocating MIDI buffer (9.84k/9.84k)... OK
Allocating map buffer (185.94k/195.78k)... OK
Allocating string buffer (6.75M/6.94M)... OK
Allocating door combo buffer (159.50k/7.10M)... OK
Allocating dmap buffer (51.00k/7.15M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (1.49M/8.64M)... OK
Allocating color data buffer (158.11k/8.80M)... OK
Allocating tile buffer (8.00M/16.79M)... OK
Allocating trash buffer (97.66k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating item buffer (6.00k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating weapon buffer (2.00k/16.90M)... OK
Allocating guy buffer (14.00k/16.91M)... OK
Allocating combo undo buffer (1.49M/18.40M)... OK
Allocating tile undo buffer (8.00M/26.40M)... OK
Allocating file path buffers (1.25k/26.40M)... OK
Initializing Allegro... OK
Loading data files:
ZQuest.Dat (internal)...OK
ZGP.Dat...OK
Fonts.Dat...OK
OK
Initializing sound driver... OK

ZQuest v1.93 Alpha (Build 4)
Allocating MIDI buffer (9.84k/9.84k)... OK
Allocating map buffer (185.94k/195.78k)... OK
Allocating string buffer (6.75M/6.94M)... OK
Allocating door combo buffer (159.50k/7.10M)... OK
Allocating dmap buffer (51.00k/7.15M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (1.49M/8.64M)... OK
Allocating color data buffer (158.11k/8.80M)... OK
Allocating tile buffer (8.00M/16.79M)... OK
Allocating trash buffer (97.66k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating item buffer (6.00k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating weapon buffer (2.00k/16.90M)... OK
Allocating guy buffer (14.00k/16.91M)... OK
Allocating combo undo buffer (1.49M/18.40M)... OK
Allocating tile undo buffer (8.00M/26.40M)... OK
Allocating file path buffers (1.25k/26.40M)... OK
Initializing Allegro... OK
Loading data files:
ZQuest.Dat...OK
ZGP.Dat...OK
Fonts.Dat...OK
OK
Initializing sound driver... Sound driver not available. Sound disabled.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting...okay.
Opening...okay.
Reading Header...okay.
Reading Rules...okay.
Reading Strings...okay.
Reading Doors...okay.
Reading DMaps...okay.
Reading Misc. Data...okay.
Reading Items...okay.
Reading Weapons...okay.
Reading Maps...okay.
Reading Combos...okay.
Reading Color Data...okay.
Reading Tiles...okay.
Reading MIDIs...okay.
Reading Cheat Codes...okay.
Reading Init. Data...okay.
Reading Enemy Data...okay.
Done.

Tygore
01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
*raises hand*

Same problem here. Worked before, not now.

Dart Zaidyer
01-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I also get weird problems with the new sound system. After a while, (sometimes it takes up to 20 minutes, and one time it happened almost immediately) sound will just cease to play. This is a hardware issue, because even though ZC sets it off, it affects other programs too, such as Windows noises, Jedi Knight, Sound Recorder, and so forth. (These programs are also capable of setting it off, actually.)

Many people are reporting issues with the sound in 2.10. What's changed, and why? Could it be changed back?

Rydia
01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
I have also had the sound just stop working. I had to restart ZC/ZQ to get it to run again. Also, their is that echo/sustained notes problem that still exists.