PDA

View Full Version : "Check for Undercombo" Option

idontknow
12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
How about an option for zquest (In the Misc-->Options Menu) that you can check that will make it so something will appear & flash over combos that require an undercombo but where the undercombo has not yet been set?

Perhaps it would also check instances like where you have a slash combo & flag 16 over it--because that's exceptable, the icon would not appear. However, if neither a flag has been set nor undercombo, then a small square would appear over such combos (just like the small "Show Misalign" triangles appear on the sides for walkability misalignments.)

Maybe such options are annoying, with all the flashing things and stuff and all the exceptions, but it would be nice when done with the quest and when you are "debugging" it, trying to seek out where you may have forgotten to set the undercombo, instead of always going to each screen and repeatedly click "Undercombo" in the data menu over & over again.

Drakmyth
12-01-2004, 05:14 PM
An addition to this might be to check if a secret combo flag was placed but the secret combo tile wasn't set would also trigger the check. This may pose a problem if the secret combo is intentionally blank but oh well.

Orion
12-01-2004, 06:21 PM
I've always been hoping for combos to someday all have their own undercombos, instead of setting a universal one for the whole screen. But, that would be something to suggest in the public forum. Wishful thinking, I guess.

The idea of having something like the undercombo checker sounds cool though.

ShadowTiger
12-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Perhaps simply a global checker, which checks each screen on each map, (Though that's certainly overkill.) for screens that have the first combo has the undercombo. .. Granted, of course, that you could have something MEANT to be the first combo as an undercombo, which would mess up the whole system of checking that way..

I'd easily recommend the same sort of thing with Link's Start Positions. And that's MORE of a problem (Yes, I needed it that size. You all know why too. Stop denying it.) than undercombos, because undercombos can be graphical in nature, or slightly more problematic. If Link gets stuck in a corner, you can't tell me that's graphical. :eyebrow: .. Please, .. please.. please, for the love of god, don't ignore this paragraph. >_< .. I beg of you..

Drakmyth
12-02-2004, 01:23 AM
/ignoring BH4's post
I think...

lol. Just kidding. That would be a really good thing to is to make sure that Link's starting position is set for something other than the default. Of course, that again brings up the thing about the author wanting Link to start in the upper left-hand corner (God only knows WHY anyone would want to do that but it's always a possibility).

idontknow
12-02-2004, 01:42 AM
As far as the starting point check, i'm not sure what it would check, as you could click on the blue or green warp/start squares are to see where link would go--but i suppose it may be a good idea...

And all of these checks would be good regardless of whether or not such "mistakes" can actually be something done intentionally--i mean, take a look at the "show misaligns" for example--it'll show misalignments that are often times, in fact, intentional--such as water (which counts as a solid) being on the edge of one screen & the next combo on the next screen may be land but it'll still count as a misalignment.

Here's some other checks i recommend:

--Unselected Secret Combos (shows which secret combos have not been determined, for all flags placed on the screen that require one)

--Push Blocks--not sure exactly what would happen here, but might be nice to have checks to see that you can push them or that for all push block triggers, there are enough pushable blocks to cover them. Let's say you have a push right flag (which means you have to stand to the LEFT of the combo and push towards the right, but if another solid is next to this pushable combo on the left, then you can't possibly reach it--this could be a good type of check.

--No Enemies--not really an error per say, but something, maybe in an additional panel on the bottom center of the main screen, that tells you what enemies you have--or something that reminds you that you have not selected any enemies for that screen yet.

--Any Others???

Its not like such options would 'correct' the problem--it would however just make it more simply to find such potential 'problems'.

ShadowTiger
12-02-2004, 01:46 AM
As far as the starting point check, i'm not sure what it would check, as you could click on the blue or green warp/start squares are to see where link would go--but i suppose it may be a good idea... Yes, it would check to see if (Either, perhaps, of) the start positions are in the upper left corner, that they both default to. If they are, you might get a notification of some sort.

And all of these checks would be good regardless of whether or not such "mistakes" can actually be something done intentionally--i mean, take a look at the "show misaligns" for example--it'll show misalignments that are often times, in fact, intentional--such as water (which counts as a solid) being on the edge of one screen & the next combo on the next screen may be land but it'll still count as a misalignment. Well, how often is it that you'll find a start position in the default upper left corner? And even if there is, then you can just skip over correcting that screen. No biggie. :) (Replies In Bold)