PDA

View Full Version : Does the AGN dictionary still exist?

DemoQuestFan
11-29-2004, 07:34 PM
The dictionary where all the AGN "terms" were. Is it still around?

vegeta1215
11-30-2004, 01:25 AM
By terms do you mean acronyms? I don't think this is it, but your post reminded me of this site: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

AGN and ZC are in there :)

EDIT: Is this what you're looking for? http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=742979 - It was linked in the New Members Forum FAQ.

Zero Wing
12-01-2004, 11:18 AM
interesting, but what is "Open Zelda" exactly?

DarkDragon
12-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Repton was going to make a script-based remake of LLTP, if I recall correctly; development of it was abandoned. The new project, Open Legends, is I think now being hosted by GU.

DsS Game
12-01-2004, 01:57 PM
wow I never knew that really existed. :lol:

Daywalker

theplustwo
12-01-2004, 09:03 PM

Daywalker
Well, to the best of my knowledge, there was never really a working version of Open Zelda.

AtmaWeapon
12-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Repton was going to make a script-based remake of LLTP, if I recall correctly; development of it was abandoned. The new project, Open Legends, is I think now being hosted by GU.

I was a part of the OZ scripting for a little while. I remember Repton had something to do with it, but openzelda (known as GD for some reason I never figured out) was the developer of the project.

It was DirectX so it ran in Windows, it had a nice map editor, came with the scripts the game ran on, it was based on LttP.

Its largest advantage and also its largest disadvantage was its openness. Everything in the game was scripted, and the script was available for modification. Want a fire boomerang? Script one up! Feel like creating a new enemy? Script it up! Do you want a tile that catches on fire and turns into an enemy that then turns into a tile you can slash and turns into a chicken? Script it up! This meant that you were only limited by the engine and its capabilities. However, this became a large disadvantage because it led to slow development. Like many open source projects, the largest contributions came from the community. However, these contributions were sporadic and followed what the coders wanted, not necessarily what the game needed to progress. The game didn't have a full implementation of every item, so getting a good shot at a LttP clone going required gathering several scripts together just to get started.

The engine had its shortcomings, too. I spent a few weeks trying to script the spinning sword attack into the game. Through my research, I was able to determine the engine accepted input based on KeyPress events rather than KeyDown events*, which made scripting any kind of action that involved holding a button for a time pretty much impossible. The bug was reported by me and confirmed by GD, and it was on the list for the next version. Another glaring bug was that program flags (used to indicate "player has hit this switch" or "player has advanced this far so this city should be destroyed") were not saved with your save games. This was the highest priority bug.

However, GD didn't have the time to continue the project. Open Zelda went open source and was released on SourceForge. This made it no longer an Armageddon game. About this time I left the project, and last I checked a new version still hadn't been released, so the input bug is still there (though I had a friend that was working with the source and he told me they fixed the save bug.)

I really liked it and I think it had more potential than ZC, but it's a good example of how making something too open-ended can kill a project.

*off-topic
*For the curious non-programmers or those unfamiliar with event-driven programs, there is a big difference between KeyPress and KeyDown. KeyDown fires when the key is depressed, KeyUp fires when the key is released. Between those two, KeyPress is generated at least once. If the key is held down, multiple KeyPress events will fire (this is why if I hold 'a' the result is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa; character input is based on KeyPress.) Because of this, when I would hold the button to charge my attack, Open Zelda would see one keypress followed by several quick keypresses, as opposed to the key being down and later up.

ZTC
12-01-2004, 09:27 PM
heh, I remember the OZ forums from back in '01
pretty impressive thread...

Dechipher
12-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Repton did Galaga Advanced, I'm pretty sure about that, though I wasn't clear on his development in OZ.
Kryten was working on FF3C, but I dunno what the hell happened there....

ZTC
12-01-2004, 10:14 PM
jeez, this is bring back memories
btw, what ever happened to "Men in Blue"?

Deviance
12-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Ah good old galaga advance. Anyone still have a copy of it. I really have the urge to play that game.

DsS Game
12-02-2004, 12:57 AM
Well, to the best of my knowledge, there was never really a working version of Open Zelda.

I wasn't talking about OZ I was talking about the AGN Dictionary.

Daywalker

Shadowblazer
12-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Kryten was working on FF3C, but I dunno what the hell happened there....
He fell off the face of the Earth... he managed to climb back up, but in the process he dropped FF3PC into the abyss.

goKi
12-02-2004, 06:36 PM
The AGN dictionary was fun, but we need to bring back the family tree!

Rainman
12-03-2004, 12:30 AM

Daywalker

I came here here OpenZelda actually. :) It was a cool idea, but didn't go very far on here. Also, the program didn't work on my system so I couldn't do much.

DsS Game
12-04-2004, 08:27 AM
I came here here OpenZelda actually. :) It was a cool idea, but didn't go very far on here. Also, the program didn't work on my system so I couldn't do much.

Man not you too lol.

I was talking bout the dictionary. I never really dealth with OZ.

Daywalker