PDA

View Full Version : Computer Randomly Shuts Off

SSJ3500
11-26-2004, 01:29 AM
I've had this laptop for about 2, maybe 3 months, and it has a problem where every once in a while, it will just randomly shut itself off. Usually if I leave it alone for a minute or two it will work just fine again. I've tried running Adaware, defraging, and boosting the level of security on my firewall. Any one had a similar problem like this, or a way to fix it?

Orion
11-26-2004, 01:52 AM
Sounds like the power supply is shot. Had this problem with my PC. I'm not sure how these things work for laptops, but I imagine you can take it in and they'll have a simple little doodad to plud your laptop into that will tell you if the power supply is the problem or not.

4matsy
11-26-2004, 01:55 AM
Or the main processor. Happened to my old desktop box when the fan quit and the CPU/motherboard overheated...

Gerudo
11-26-2004, 02:01 AM
actually, i had this problem previously as well, it was a problem between my mainboard and (i believe) my soundcard. i had to replace the mainboard. =/

Pablo
11-26-2004, 02:02 AM
sounds to me like it's overheating. Try using it on a hard surface with plenty of room around it, for ventilation, and see if that helps.

deathbyhokie
11-26-2004, 02:02 AM
could also be overheating, especially if it's a laptop. what are you doing when it shuts off?

SSJ3500
11-26-2004, 02:39 AM
I shuts off at random times really, could be while I'm running Kazaa and a couple other programs or something as simple as windows media player. It probably is overheating though, I am using it while laying down on a couch after all. I'll look into it further if it starts doing it more frequently and none of the suggestions work.

gdorf
11-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I was going to guess overheating. Try to give it as much airflow as possible.

SSJ3500
11-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah, it's overheating. I had it on the adomen for my chair and it kept shutting off. It must have done it 8 times, I tried shutting off the internet and stuff, none of which worked. Then I put it on a foldable table, cleared out the area behind it and it works fine.

Feasul
11-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Hmmm, maybe the problem is overheating.
Yeah, my brother had the same problem on his laptop. If it continues (as his did) you'll probably have to fix the fan.
Also, it's amazing how many people (myself included, I'm probably being a hypocrite right now) don't bother to read whether their suggestion has already been posted.

Drunken Tiger
11-27-2004, 09:40 AM
I dont know whats wrong with the laptop and i think its better that i dont pretend that i do.. ^^

But i got a problem as well.. But the difference is that itll turn on in the middle of the night and scare the shit outta me.. Any ideas.. Im sure i didnt set it to turn on int hte middle of the night..
:shrug:

DT

Master Ghaleon
11-27-2004, 11:24 AM
DT - Your problem is that your your house is haunted and a ghost is playin tricks on ya. I never see it do such a thing before.

DarkDragon
11-28-2004, 02:23 AM
If your computer randomly shuts off, or starts running really slows after a period of performance-intensive activity, then you should purchase a can of compressed air, and blow the hell out of the vent in the back of the computer. This will dislodge the dust that has accumulated on the heatsink, and will solve the heat problem, for a while at least.

gdorf
11-28-2004, 04:41 AM
Also, it's amazing how many people (myself included, I'm probably being a hypocrite right now) don't bother to read whether their suggestion has already been posted.

Its not that we don't read, its that we are confirming. By comfirming that I believe its an overheating issue I can help show the most popular answer. Its the same way a poll works, by supporting one solution I can help save someone the hassle of trying everything.

Btw: stating that you think its hypocrisy doesn't make it any better. :shrug:

And SSJ, you may want to check out something like this (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-999-331&DEPA=0).

customer review:

I have bought two of these and amazingly they both solved my problems. Laptop components are so close together that the heat is passed directly from one component to another. I had one Laptop shutting down due to the processor overheating, after i put a heatsink underneath it, everything worked great. The other laptop got too hot and played choppy DVDs, after the heatsink was installed the DVD played smoothly. This is a highly recommended product, it will help with your laptop's health and lifetime.

jman2050
11-28-2004, 11:44 AM
I have the same problem with my laptop, and it pisses me off to no end. Hopefully, the store and/or manufacturer will do something to alleviate the problem (I'm not sending it in for overheating, but for another unrelated reason). I wasn't sure if it was a problem just with my laptop or if this was common amongst laptop users. Now that I know it's common, I won't be so worried when it occurs again.

I should buy that cooling pad also, that should help...

Pangolin
11-28-2004, 03:10 PM
I'd kick it. And then scream. And then give up and send it to a computer fixer. Thats what I did wehn mine went bust a month ago. Took awhile but hey I'm back now to tell the tale.

DsS Game
12-02-2004, 01:02 AM
It's either overheating or someone actually hacked into your laptop. Hackers have a way now off actually cutting you off completely. It happened to me when I had AOL.

Daywalker