PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Warez Trap

gdorf
11-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Recently, one of the HL2Files.com members here, alerted me of a pirated warez version of Half-Life 2, apparently released via the Bittorent network. I immediately, forwarded this to Gabe Newell of VALVe Software. [The great man, we should all be thanking for Half-Life 2 big grin ].

A couple of hours later, Gabe replied with the following:

"We're running a bit of an experiment. We're keeping track of the accounts that do this and will be shutting them off."

So, as you can see, VALVe Software have released a test "warez" version aimed at catching people out. These people will have their accounts deleted and will be banned from Steam.

Therefore, I strongly suggest that you DO NOT participate in these illegal activities as it would only lead to your own harm.

VALVe Software spent over $40 Million to develop Half-Life 2. Show them you appreciate their work. Buy the game! :)

source: http://halflife2.filefront.com/news/;13907

So, download hl2 and get your steam account banned. Sounds fair to me. :)

Lutraphobiac
11-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Lol, that is awesome. It seems a little sneaky, but since I have already purchased the game I won't complain.

Orion
11-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Heh, I found a virus on my computer which came in the file, oddly enough, halflife2.exe. I didn't download it, so I don't know how it got in. I don't even like half life. But it was a pain in my ass.

Masamune
11-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Heh, I'm gonna see if my CS source still works. ^_^

EDIT: Well shit.... They got me. =(

DarkDragoonX
11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
That is the coolest thing ever.

jman2050
11-18-2004, 11:06 PM
More game companies should do this... no wait >_>

Seriously though, that's a cool idea.

Radium
11-19-2004, 12:51 PM
This is a rumor, nobody knows for sure from valve whether or not valve released this warez version.

midnitebassist
11-19-2004, 01:58 PM
That's awesome. I should do that...i wouldn't have anything to do it to though...

HL2 is awesome...i'm glad i bought it now.

EDIT
as opposed to dling it, of course.

gdorf
11-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Heh, I'm gonna see if my CS source still works. ^_^

EDIT: Well shit.... They got me.

This is a rumor, nobody knows for sure from valve whether or not valve released this warez version.

Unless masa was joking...

King Link
11-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Finally, a video game company is fighting back. This is an excellent idea, I think. Maybe people will think twice about this sort of thing.