PDA

View Full Version : Those Darned Moblins!

frostmaster72
11-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Those Darned Moblins!

First off, is it "Moblin" or "Molblin"?
I've seen it spelled both ways and I just kinda wanted to clear that up.

Another question I had was what the heck is the weapon they use? I remember in my younger days of playing LoZ, that I always thought they shot arrows. However, my older and more observant self is beginning to question that.

Do they throw javelins?

I based this on the fact that that you can't see a bow in their possession and that the Moblins/Molblins in OoT were carrying javelins (spears?).

Any other thoughts?

Just thought I would ask

- Trav :)

Yoshiman
11-16-2004, 11:13 PM
It's Moblin. Rhymes with goblin.

And I belive that they're supposed to have spears. Generally, all official artwork has them with a spear. However, in the Wind Waker, they have something different. It looks like a spear, but I forget exactly what they're called. :shrug:

vegeta1215
11-17-2004, 01:27 AM
To answer your questions,

They are called Moblins. There is a typo in The Legend of Zelda (NES) instruction booklet that has it spelled "Molbins". They use arrows in The Legend of Zelda (NES), and spears and javelins (throwing spears) in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

They use various weapons in the Gameboy Zelda games. Some have arrows, others have a sword and shield. I don't remember there being any Moblins in A Link to the Past though.

Yoshiman
11-17-2004, 07:45 AM
I don't remember there being any Moblins in A Link to the Past though.
They were in the Dark World by the pyramid. They tossed spears like the red-horned soldiers did in the Light World.

ShadowTiger
11-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Indeed. However, were they in Z64? They were called Moriblins and Monblins (Well, there was only ONE Monblin.) when you saw them in the (Adult Link) Forest Maze before the Forest Temple. I wonder if those guys are their cousins, or just different or something.

vegeta1215
11-18-2004, 12:38 AM
They were in the Dark World by the pyramid. They tossed spears like the red-horned soldiers did in the Light World.

Were those Moblins? I thought they were pig warriors.

But, Nintendo has kind of turned Moblins into pig creatures with The Wind Waker (as opposed to dog creatures, which is what they were originally) So who knows :shrug:

Indeed. However, were they in Z64? They were called Moriblins and Monblins (Well, there was only ONE Monblin.) when you saw them in the (Adult Link) Forest Maze before the Forest Temple. I wonder if those guys are their cousins, or just different or something.

That's the only place I've seen them in Ocarina of Time. I thought they were just Moblins though, and not either of those other spellings you posted. I'll have to go and take a look later.

ShadowTiger
11-18-2004, 10:15 AM
I got those spellings from a hintbook, really. Maybe someone should ask TSA. :p He seems to be well versed in the game. (OR, you could also Z-target one in the game, and press C Up. That'll give you a name.)

MANDRAG GANON
11-18-2004, 04:56 PM
*shakes head* they were called Moblins in OOT.

Pangolin
11-19-2004, 07:48 AM
I have a teacher called Mr. Roblin.

Anyway, moblins have spears and Darknuts have axes. They look kinda similar on the originals. as for shooting arrows, Moblins did do that in originals, didn't they? Or was it boomerangs?
Not that was Seasons. But yeah they did shoot arroes some of them unless I am going senile.

vegeta1215
11-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Darknuts do not have axes! They have swords. Moblins shot arrows in the original Zelda, and it was Goriyas who had boomerangs.

I can't think of any enemies in the original Zelda that had axes, but Daira's had axes in Zelda II (and they are a pain to fight early in the game)

Mak-X
11-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Yeah, the pig monsters outside the Pyramid of Power in ALttP are essentially Moblins. They move around and throw spears. I thought the first appearence of these pig enemies was Link's Awakening, where they are called "Pigblins" if I remember right from what someone told me. The modern moblin are pigs today, I guess that goes along with the theme of Ganon being a pig better.

Moriblin and Monblin were from the Versus Books OoT guide, and they're the best terms I've seen to differentiate between those two moblins. I think "Moliblin", which was in the original Zelda 1 manual, comes from how the word is translated, probably like spelling Link "Linku" or "Rinku".

MANDRAG GANON
11-19-2004, 10:07 PM
I have a teacher called Mr. Roblin.

Anyway, moblins have spears and Darknuts have axes. They look kinda similar on the originals. as for shooting arrows, Moblins did do that in originals, didn't they? Or was it boomerangs?
Not that was Seasons. But yeah they did shoot arroes some of them unless I am going senile.
Iron Knuckles have axes.

vegeta1215
11-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Iron Knuckles have axes.

They do in OoT and in MM, but in Zelda II they have swords. The blue iron knuckles are the worst.