PDA

View Full Version : Satalite Comparison

Monica
11-16-2004, 04:50 PM
When I was around 12, we got our first Satalite, a DirecTV system and it was wonderful, but after awhile it started going out in a storm, but as well as when a cloud or the sun got in the way, so my dad had it shut off and moved us back to cable. >_< I really want it back though, and I'm gonna try talking my dad into it again. I'm thinking maybe our stuff is old and maybe they've upgraded the newer models to stand up to clouds more, heh. Can they even do that?

Anyway I was wondering if you have a satalite, what kind is it?
When did you get it?
How does it act in weather?

Eckels
11-16-2004, 06:06 PM
As far as i know, satellite signals still aren't weather proof. My wife's family has DirectTV, and are forever complaining about it going out when the weather is bad. I don't know that it's so bad when it's simply cloudy, but heavy rain, snow etc, can really sour the signal.

deathbyhokie
11-16-2004, 06:11 PM
my parents only had a problem with theirs when major storms were moving through the area. snow and random clouds didn't seem to screw with it too much. well, as long as you wiped the snow off the dish.

ShadowTiger
11-16-2004, 07:16 PM
(I have no cable.) If I had ever owned a Satellite dish, I'm pretty sure it would have flown off with any strong wind that came along, and would have embedded itself into my neighbors roof. It's much funnier when posting it than if it would actually happen.

Archibaldo
11-17-2004, 02:40 PM
I have Star Choice. Ours only goes out in severe snow storms and severe thunder storms. The only thing I hate about Star Choice is that we can't get the cartoon network. It doesn't provide it.

Dart Zaidyer
11-17-2004, 02:53 PM
These days, Satellite dishes are much more resilient to the weather. I have a DirecTV dish, and the only time it ever goes out is during really thick rain or snow, which doesn't happen very often.

What you should really be concerned about is the programming. How much are you willing to pay for 80 regurgitations of local TV, but with stupider commercials, invasive banners and popups during the show, and reruns of the same episode several times within the day/weekend/two week bracket?

Monica
11-17-2004, 03:24 PM
These days, Satellite dishes are much more resilient to the weather. I have a DirecTV dish, and the only time it ever goes out is during really thick rain or snow, which doesn't happen very often.

What you should really be concerned about is the programming. How much are you willing to pay for 80 regurgitations of local TV, but with stupider commercials, invasive banners and popups during the show, and reruns of the same episode several times within the day/weekend/two week bracket?

I want the Total Choice Plus package for $42.99, and this (http://www.cmaaccess.com/channel-packages/tallulah.pdf) is why. (Note: you need Adobe Reader to view that) At the top of page 1 is the digital lineup and at the bottom of page 2 is what I have now. Compare that with the Total Choice Plus on Directv.com. What do you mean by regurgetations and stupid commercials? Banners and Popups? What the heck? What has happened since I last had it?

J.J. Maxx
11-18-2004, 01:30 AM
I install satellite systems both Dish Network and Direct. The quality of you systems storm/weather resilience is how good the installer aligned your dish. Nuff said.

Blonde799
11-18-2004, 02:18 AM
In other words, half-ass job, half-ass dish?:p