PDA

View Full Version : Something wierd in firefox

Michaelk88
11-14-2004, 12:40 AM
somewebsites think i use netscape???

ShadowTiger
11-14-2004, 01:12 AM
Are you referring to the "send error report" it gives you when it crashes?

vegeta1215
11-14-2004, 01:56 AM
The latest version of Netscape (7.x) is based on Mozilla/Gecko rendering engine, which is what Firefox is based on. It wouldn't surprise me if a site thought you were using Netscape.

Michaelk88
11-14-2004, 09:23 PM
So Netscape is mozilla too... i though netscape was more like IE

vegeta1215
11-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Netscape and IE are VERY different. In fact, Netscape and IE were the two opposing sides during the browser wars of the late 90s. Netscape lost the browser war though, and since then IE has gained over 90% of the market share for browsers. But, that's starting to change thanks to Mozilla (specifically Firefox) ;)

Short History of Mozilla: Around 1998 or so, Netscape open sourced it's version 4.x browser. The source code was improved and built upon, ultimately becoming Mozilla. Now several browser based on Mozilla and it's rendering engine. (the new Netscape, Firefox, Camino, etc)

Sylvan_Wizard
11-16-2004, 09:52 PM
In fact, Netscape and IE were the two opposing sides during the browser wars of the late 90s. Netscape lost the browser war though, and since then IE has gained over 90% of the market share for browsers.Wasn't really a browser war, since there wasn't really a competition. Microsoft simply included IE with the OS knowing people would just use it since it's already there. That way IE automatically got the same distribution as Windows.

somewebsites think i use netscape???It's really just a script that checks if you're using IE. If not, it generally just assumes Netscape, and uses the appropriately modified HTML. Code designed for Netscape will work fine in Firefox/Mozilla, but code designed for IE is not standards compliant and will sometimes not work right.