PDA

View Full Version : Quest Rating system

Freedom
11-12-2004, 05:41 PM
I was looking at the quest ratings on the database and noticed that the top rated quests have a whopping 3 hearts, most are lower, and many people don't even bother to rate at all.

Seems to me that all the time spent making these quests is pretty much being wasted since there are none considered better then "fair" according to the player responses.

Where is the incentive to continue bothering with building them since it seems they sure aren't being appreciated much?

Maybe this is why so few of the oldtimers don't even bother to release quests any more.

Petoe
11-12-2004, 05:48 PM
I was just about to contact a person who works on the QDB, like Eckels, about this problem. The top rated quests are rated ridiculously low. The QDB is great and all, but in my opinion the rating system should be something like at PureZC: To rate a quest you have to post a comment. That would probably prevent most of the unfair ratings.

Eckels
11-12-2004, 06:04 PM
there are people, freelancer for instance, who have gone through the db and given 0 ratings for like 40 or more quests. Thats why the ratings look as they do.
They have all been warned. And so far no one has done it again. At some point i'll write a script to purge those ratings, but i havent had time yet.

I don't want to have a system like PureZC's. I'd rather leave it this way, and deal with the abusers seperately. What I may do, is make a list pop up when you click on the hearts that show what each user rated the quest as. that way the public would see what a person is voting. That would make it clearer
when someone is abusing the system, and it would also kind of work as an endorsing system. "well lets see, it says that "this person" likes this quest, and he's usually pretty picky, etc.."

also please keep in mind, the qdb is still relatively new. over time, more ratings will be added to the db, and the ratings will average out much better. and individual zeroes and such won't be as much of a factor. But they will be dealt with, don't worry.

elise
11-12-2004, 07:10 PM
It would be great if it's visible who rated and with what rate cause the way it's now they are abusing it, and if thats not bad enough it also makes good Questmakers doubt if they even have to make other quests.
I personal think it would be a great loss if questmakers stop making quests because of the rating system :(

Freelancer
11-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Sorry about what I did, I think it was rude and I think we should just let the mods and admins rate quests, because people like me will act like bullies. :banghead: The rating system is only for you to know what quests are good right? So maby my suggestion is usefull. (not being mean :) ) I really hope we can deal with these problems.

Freedom
11-13-2004, 02:07 AM
That's quite an apology, you knew better but did it anyway, now you suggest that only Mods and Admins should rate quests, because people like you can't be trusted to do the right thing huh?

Sure these problems could be dealt with, they could start by banning people like you who abuse the the rating system in the first place.

The people that PLAY the quests are the ones who should decide what is good and not, otherwise the whole rating system is worthless and should be removed all together.

Manny
11-18-2004, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Just because the ratings are low doesn't mean the work you guys do is underappreciated. It is much appreciated, trust me :)
I know making a quest takes forever (i've worked on a few quests over the years finishing none, though i'd like to finish one oneday), but the work you guys do is great. don't let that stupid rating system get the better of you! keep up the great work
-manny

p.s. freedom i just started your quest swansong yesterday in my spare time. haven't done much but i love your pallets and tileset. looks great so far.

Slash
11-25-2004, 01:46 AM
still...almost ALL the quests are rated 3
however, some rated-3 quests are WAY better than other rated-3 quests

for me it's just a number that doesn't mean a thing
I do hope however that one day it'll become a clear indicator of the quest quality

Rydia
11-25-2004, 04:58 AM
I would be in there rating the ones I have played, but I log in, and it says I am not logged in. I can log in a million times to rate a quest, or make comments, and it will say, Please log in, or whatever it says. I'm guessing I am not the only one that this problem happens to.

Freedom
11-25-2004, 05:30 AM
same here, I PM'ed Eckels about it a few weeks ago.

Manny
11-25-2004, 01:19 PM
i find that if i go from AGN to zelda classic in the same browser window it'll have me as logged on in the quest database. or if i use anything besides IE
-manny

elise
11-26-2004, 09:25 AM
I only use IE and never had that loggin problem .
It always recognized me :)

Ovi
12-02-2004, 11:01 AM
I'm haveing a similar problem but only on the high school computer (not that I'd be on during school :) ) I think it has something to do with the cookies. Apperently if you press "remember me" it will keep you logged in until you either log in as someone else, log out, or delete the cookies. My theory is that if you set your browser not to delete cookies then you should stayed loged in, but then again, that's only a theory. Hope I managed to help you guys.