PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Computer Problem

ZeldaFan001
11-11-2004, 12:33 PM
So I was working on this Laptop computer that has a Pentium 4 that has a speed of 3 GHz. It was late at night and I was either programming in C++ or playing Zelda Classic. Well, I was having a fun time, and wasn't expecting this at all, and then, OH NO, the computer shuts down without warning and I didn't save my work! I thought, hmm, maybe we had a power outage, but no, the lights were still on, so it couldn't be that. Was anybody playing a trick on me and unplugged the computer? I look down, but it's still plugged in. Still concerned of what had just happened, I suddenly thought that it could be my CPU overheating, but I couldn't believe it would be that, since I've never had problems like that before. But, I also did think at times where the computer did become warm at the bottom when I have it on my lap. I thought, "Hmm, maybe I should go ahead and put it on my lap, just to be sure."
There's only one thing I can say.......
YEOUCH!!!!!!!
That bottom was so hot, you could put eggs on top of it and cook them! (Of course, I didn't try this!) So now, I quite possibly have a problem with my CPU cooling. I put this computer on a desk, and it is somewhat surrounded by my stuff, but not so much to actually block the air flow inside and outside my computer. I don't really feel like taking it to Gateway to solve the problem, because schoolwork has kept me so busy, I need it for online homework assignments. Is there anything I can do to reduce this heat problem or any good methods you know that work?

ShadowTiger
11-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Perhaps place it on one of those shipping boxes, that looks like a crate with holes in it all over, instead of on your lap? :shrug: ... And of course, there's the standard "Buy a new fan" issue. :p :rolleyes:

Still... good luck with it, man. ;)

DarkPanther
11-11-2004, 05:32 PM
A couple things....

1. If your power goes out, or if your laptop gets unplugged, it is not going to shut off. Most laptops come with a built in power storer called a battery (http://www.batteries.com/). See also, lithium ion batteries.

2. Don't place your laptop on anything soft such as a towel, your lap, or your bed. Laptops run hotter than PCs due to the restricted space and limited cooling power. Some laptops even blow the hot air out downward, thus requiring they be placed on a hard surface to move the heat away. Either way, soft things absorb heat. If the surfaces around the laptop get heated up, the laptop will heat up even more. Put it on your desk, table, or other firm surface that will be less likely to heat up over a period of time. The surface of the laptop will still become heated after a while, but will be less likely to overheat. There are also some cooling stations (http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33) you can buy to set your laptop on that serve as sort of a docking station and will keep it from heating up much at all.

Good luck!

DarkDragon
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
That happened to my laptop as well, so I just started propping up the back of it with a pencil, problem solved.

ZeldaFan001
11-13-2004, 03:28 AM
OK, this problem just doesn't seem to want to go away. :(

I don't really want to spend any money though, either, so what is something I could use to prop it up? I use a house fan to cool her down in case if it does overheat, but then I gotta do it again in 15 minutes. *sigh* This problem has never happened before.

I always usually keep it on this desk I built for it. It's a hard surface and works very well. I'll probably find some old CD's or something to prop it up. We'll see what happens.

EDIT:

YES! The propping up the computer in the back works great! I've kept the temperature running and even did some CPU extensive tests, and the CPU is significantly cooler. Thanks a lot! ;)

vegeta1215
11-13-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm just curious - did it only happen when playing ZC? Or did your CPU overheat when you used other applications too?

Iori
11-13-2004, 05:41 PM
You could also buy a laptop stand/holder thing, or whatever they are. I have one and it works great. It's a Targus, I think.

ZeldaFan001
11-14-2004, 05:14 PM
It happened only when I was playing Zelda Classic. In fact, when I played Zelda Classic, my CPU would almost always overheat 10 minutes later! O_O

It only did once in a Doom Multiplayer game I was playing, but the problem is more frequent playing Zelda Classic.

vegeta1215
11-14-2004, 07:05 PM
ZC does use an abnormally high amount of CPU (at least I've noticed on my system) Not sure why though.

MrCow
11-14-2004, 07:18 PM
yea i run a good 2 degrees hotter with it running... its an abnormal ammount for a small program, but nonetheless its not something that would destroy my machine.

Foxx
11-15-2004, 04:53 AM
Hmmm..... I would guess this is the sort of thing that would be most likely to happen when you run very advanced programs. My laptop got good and hot when I was playing the Guild Wars demo (Halloween weekend), but it never did overheat.

ZTC
11-15-2004, 10:42 AM
ZC does use an abnormally high amount of CPU (at least I've noticed on my system) Not sure why though.

on my processor usage reports, it always shows 100% when running ZC or Zquest, so it's not just your system :shrug: