PDA

View Full Version : ZC in Linux via Wine?

enderak
11-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I am wondering if anyone has attempted to run Zelda Classic in Linux by using Wine. I am able to run it, and the graphics look fine, the sound works fine, my usb gamepad works fine, my usb mouse works fine - but my keyboard (ps/2) doesn't work at all! This normally wouldn't be a problem, but ZC has you type in your name instead of selecting it via the controller like the original nes version.

Seems like a solution is so close, yet so far away. :|

Just looking to see if anyone else has tried ZC with Wine. I wish I had a usb keyboard - it would probably work! :P

vegeta1215
11-10-2004, 12:50 AM
I tried it a while back, but it didn't work. Then again, I don't know a lot about how to use Wine, so I probably didn't do all that I needed to in order to run it correctly. If you'd like to post some directions, I'll give it a try again. (Also, what version of ZC did you try it with?)

There is a Linux port of ZC in Alpha testing, so there's not much need to work hard to get it running with Wine, but it'd still be fun to do.

enderak
11-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Hmm.. I read somewhere that there was a Linux version in the works, but I couldn't find a download on the website. Perhaps I just need to look harder (or smarter)...

But, I'm using the latest version - 1.92/184 with Wine 20040408. To run it, I just run "wine -- zelda-w.exe -windowed". I don't see any debug information that would hint to why the keyboard input doesn't work. It works with other programs ran with Wine, so it seems to be specific to ZC.

jman2050
11-10-2004, 09:03 AM
The linux version hasn't been released yet, so you won't find a download for it yet.

And I would think that for programs like Wine there'd be different results for different people. The only advice I can give you is to go and buy a USB keyboard and see if that works (they don't cost a lot at all, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem)

Kry
11-10-2004, 10:21 AM
No, I'm pretty sure there was a low version Linux ZC at one time. I'll take a look and get back to ya.