PDA

View Full Version : A beginner's layering woes

Calvaire
11-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Hullo all, I'm new to ZClassic and ZQuest, and have been spending a few days poking around the program trying certain things out. I've used game-making/ level-editors before, so I'm fairly used to the whole "spend days poking around" routine, and have been learning how things work in the program fairly quickly. One problem I do have though has been with layering, so I'm hoping you guys can help me, since I suspect I'm doing something silly wrong.

I'm using the latest version of ZClassic, and I downloaded the Pure Tileset, release 2. My first mistake may have been in how I attempt to use that tileset, which was admittedly haphazard and uninformed. Because I wanted to start from scratch, I simply opened the tileset qst file, exported the graphics pack, and went on my merry way starting a new quest and importing it. I actually suspect this is part of my mistake, as you'll see later. I'll explain how I go aboutl ayering anyway, just so make sure I'm doing things alright.

So I start on map 1 and make a simple screen at 00. I now want to add a layer of rain to that screen. First thing I do is make a second map. To keep things simple, I use screen 00 on the second map as the layer for my first. I clear out screen 00 on map 2 with an undefined all black combo (presumably transparent, as when I go back to map 1 screen 00 later I can see things fine). Back on map 1 screen 00, I go to the Layers menu. Since I want the rain to be above everything, I make it layer 5 or 6, and in that column I plug in map 2 in the map row. Back on the base screen, I press page down until I get to layers. Making sure everything is checked, I click on the circle under the number 6. I then choose the rain combo and prepare to draw away. Problem is - the rain doesn't show up when I draw it. Nothing shows up on the screen. When I go to map 2 screen 00 and draw THERE, everything shows up fine. But it does not show up on map 1.

Stranger yet, is that certain combos do work just fine. Certain top ends of trees (used on layer 3 or 4) work perfectly, whereas others do not show up.

Why I presume there may have been a problem in the importing is that when I play around in the pure tileset qst file itself, I can do everything just fine. It's happily easy and satisfying in fact. I don't mind clearing out that qst file manually and going from there if need be, I'm just wondering if anybody can explain where my error was, for future reference. Much thanks!

Cepat
11-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Actually, you don't need to export anything yet if you're starting out from scratch. You only export (if you want to use back the same graphics pack, combo, etc...) & then import them into a new quest file.

If you have used screen 00 on map 2 for something already, then you need to use another screen number (let's say screen 01) on map 2 for the rain.

In the Layers menu on map 1 screen 00, you need to input the correct map & screen number..which in this case you input map 2 screen 01 on Layer 5 or 6. Then when you go back to map 1 screen 00, you will see the rain.

Calvaire
11-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi there, and thank you for your help.

I'm thinking that my woes are coming from not knowing how to properly use new tilesets than with layering itself. I can use the classic tileset and layer with it just fine (granted, nothing in the classic set looks particularly good layered). I definitely seem to understand how to do it.

My whole spiel on exported/importing was how I got the pure tileset itself. I opened up the pure .qst file, which had a bunch of screens showing off what it could do. From here, I can work with all of the layers just fine - everything shows up as I want it to. If I erase all of the screens from this qst file and work away, all seems to be fine. It is when I start a whole new quest file of my own from scratch and import the graphics from the other quest that all of a sudden the layering doesn't work for me, and the problems above arise. Odd!

Freedom
11-06-2004, 04:23 PM
just use the pure.qst file then.
there's really no reason to import.
just make a copy of the .qst file, rename it to your quest name, and start working away.

Freelancer
11-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Remember you can not start out perfect and yes I have had layering troubles myself before too. But i practised and I learned.

Calvaire
11-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Much thanks - I just took Freedom's advice and stuck with the tileset qst file. If it works, why not?

And yeah, practice definitely does make perfect. When I first read IDKs layers tutorial I thought there'd be no way I'd ever figure it out. Now it's coming with ease.

*b*
11-06-2004, 07:23 PM
And yeah, practice definitely does make perfect. When I first read IDKs layers tutorial I thought there'd be no way I'd ever figure it out. Now it's coming with ease.

yeah, layers are a pain in the ass to learn. but once you know them fairly well, they are very easy to manipulate, and they add so much to a quest