PDA

View Full Version : ZC won't read quests

SUCCESSOR
11-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm on XP. I just downloaded the latest versions. loaded them up and it says "Error Loading 1st qst. Internal Error." and it won't read custom quests and blah blah blah. any way to fix this?

Yoshiman
11-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Do you have 1st.qst, 2nd.qst, and 3rd.qst in the same directory as Zelda Classic? I've never seen the "Internal Error" part, though... :shrug:

*b*
11-03-2004, 10:31 PM
I take it you downloaded the Windows version? did you download the support archive as well? I'm not sure if that's seperate, but it wouldn't hurt to look

SUCCESSOR
11-04-2004, 11:34 AM
There doesn't seem to be a support archive for 183 or 184. I dunno.

I also cannot open zquest. it open a black screen and exits immediately.

Cepat
11-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Your support files must be extracted into this folder c:\zcbeta.

You can check this useful link to see if you have the correct files :

http://storm.prohosting.com/~mfreedom/ZC/install.htm

*b*
11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Cepat, the don't have to be installed to a certain directory; only the same folder as the rest of the files, and that can be anywhere

SUCCESSOR, are you a computer admin? ZQuest won't work unless you are

Freedom
11-04-2004, 02:43 PM
This is the second problem of this kind.
Are the support files being offered on the downloads page?

Dark Nation
11-04-2004, 03:38 PM
An internal error occurs when ZC (or ZQuest) can't open a temporary file to write the decrypted version of the quest being opened. Generally, it places the temporary file in the root of the drive the ZC is located on. The directory could be read-only or full (no more entries exist in the File Allocation Table for the root directory).

MottZilla
11-04-2004, 05:51 PM
You can't change that can you DN? Seems to me and I'm sure many other writing temporary files to the root is not a very nice practice.

SUCCESSOR
11-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Damn. No I am not a Computer Admin. I have a very thin line of liberty.

Cepat
11-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Cepat, the don't have to be installed to a certain directory; only the same folder as the rest of the files, and that can be anywhere

*b*, when you first extract the support zip files, the path will lead to c:\zcbeta & of course you can change it to any new directory you like, as long as your mainzelda.exe & zquest.exe files are in the new directory too.

*b*
11-04-2004, 11:19 PM
yes, thank you, I've known that for about three years. you said that the files had to be installed to C:\zcbeta\, and it sounded like they absolutley had to be in that folder

Cepat
11-04-2004, 11:26 PM
The reason why I said that was because when you unzip the files, the directory is there by default. So naturally, your files will all be located in that directory when you unzip :)
Most people won't realise they can change the directory to some other directory :D

Dark Nation
11-05-2004, 11:18 AM
You can't change that can you DN? Seems to me and I'm sure many other writing temporary files to the root is not a very nice practice.

It wasn't by design. The temporary filename is generated by the tmpnam() function. I will look into making the temporary files go into ZC's directory.