PDA

View Full Version : Defining PWN

punkonjunk1024
10-30-2004, 12:08 AM
As far as I know, the term PWNed was explained to me as standing for "pre-owned", and this idiotic concept was explained to me as follows - You are so owned that you were owned before you got owned by the owner, now the PWNer.
This was explained to me when I visited a friend a while back, and he introduced me to counterstrike.
Now, where I come from, (door county, WI) the term POON applies as a noun and verb to box, and screwing, respectively. So I could hardly contain myself hearing idiots shouting across the internet cafe at each other "I f*cking PWNED on you dude!"
But that has basically no relation. can someone define this term any better than said moron?
TIA

Rainman
10-30-2004, 12:42 AM
It was explained to me that it just came about from a mistype. Someone went to type owned and accidentally typed pwned. I think that makes more sense.

slef
10-30-2004, 01:28 AM
thats right. some warcraft map was misspelled back in the day, and it turned into a term for completely slaughtering people.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwn&r=f

Warlock
10-30-2004, 02:00 AM
Pwned = gay ass word for people who can't type to feel good about their "1337ness"

AlexMax
10-30-2004, 02:24 AM
It was explained to me that it just came about from a mistype. Someone went to type owned and accidentally typed pwned. I think that makes more sense.

This seems most likely, seeing as how the O and the P key are right next to each other.

Ganonator
10-30-2004, 04:18 AM
Man, i must be a real loser. I actually use the term 'pwned' (pone - d) on a daily basis, along with listening to people say 'woot'.

We went to UW, and said it. They really laughed at us.

Warlock
10-30-2004, 05:58 AM
w00t = cool
pwned = stupid ;p

I've only once every found pwned funny, and that was on an image someone made with an orc from World of WarCraft doing a /roar emote over the body of a dead deer with "PWNED!" written at the top. THAT was funny. Otherwise, it's just a stupid typo that somehow got popular like leet speak (also stupid). If it was actually spelled right, that would be one thing.. it wouldn't be so bad. But I honestly don't see the fasination with a word by someone who can't manipulate his keyboard to hit the the correct keys (heh, images of fat Homer in his mumu trying to dial on the telephone come to mind.. "We're sorry, your fingers are too fat to dial.. if you would like to request a special dialing wand, slam your hand on the keypad").

punkonjunk1024
10-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Leet is idiocy. Said moron who defined PWNed for me (apparently, incorrectly) is also a very heavy 733Ter. (did I get that right?)
If thats how PWN came about, it's disturbing that it got so popular and widespreadly used.
I think w99t should now replace w00t.
And we'd all be cool for coining a new chat jargon cliche.

Ich
10-30-2004, 11:28 AM
As with most internet related stupidity, the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn) has extensive coverage. I use it jokingly sometimes, like when watching a stupid movie and some guy gets torn apart by aliens. "Pwned!"

punkonjunk1024
10-30-2004, 11:46 AM
HAHAHAHA!
Were an internet sub culture,
A Subculture!!! HA!
I guess that would be a subjective term.
members of a "subculture" is commonly used to apply to those crazy hooligans in trashy plaid, with funny hair.
Oh, wait, there all yuppies now. Good charlette loving yuppies.
OK rant done now.
Nice mohawk (or pic of someone with a mohawk), Ich.

Blonde799
10-30-2004, 12:04 PM
I just thought it meant "pawned" or "power-owned". Never really used it though.