PDA

View Full Version : SlashDot

MottZilla
10-26-2004, 02:50 PM
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/10/26/146238.shtml?tid=202&tid=205&tid=3&tid=106

Dark Nation
10-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I noticed in the Mac Beta Tester thread. Anyone know how to retract a Slashdot story? At least it's not listed on the main page.

AlexMax
10-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Best bet is to send a letter to the editors of slashdot. They will probably edit the story with the correction.

As for getting it retracted completely, good luck. :(

vegeta1215
10-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Well, we wanted more visitors didn't we?

We have A LOT of ZC testers right now, how many more do we need? Even if we did need more, I don't think it's right for any member to just go out and say so, especially a member who joined just this week. :glare:

Dark Nation
10-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, there is no correction to be made; the info is correct, we just don't want to get slashdotted. Besied, what kind of correction would be ask for? "Here's the web address, but please don't go there." or maybe "There's a great Zelda clone for that's now being beta tested for Macs but we can't tell you where it is."

Freedom
10-26-2004, 03:15 PM
ewww...
they even have my Basic 1st quest linked into that, I have visions of Nintendo crawling up my......

Belgarath, I hope the fleas of a 1000 camels infest your nostrils.

*b*
10-26-2004, 03:17 PM
a correction saying that the groups are full, or are only accepting a few more members. I can't imagine how many people will see that and go "hey, I use mac, I think I'll go join!"

Belgarath
10-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Oh shit I'm so sorry, I was told the server could handle anything the internet community dished out as a response to one of my posts earlier. Together with the need for beta testers on different platforms I thought I would tell a few friends and help you out.

Damn, I'm so sorry if you didnt want me to do that.... I didnt know you didnt want it. If you want me to try and get them to retract it I will do so.

It's also important to note they heavly edited my text and really f*cked up the message I was trying to send, making it out of context and limiting its informational scope.

I'm so sorry I just wanted to help..

Dark Nation
10-26-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm not angry; your post *did* serve its purpose: get Mac testers. I just hope we don't get nailed by Slashdot (which probably would have happened by now if it were going to happen; luckily, it wasn't a main front-page story) or Nintendo.

Belgarath
10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
After your post in mac-betadev about getting it pulled I have asked them to do so on ethical grounds since this seemed unwanted.

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=127181&cid=10634478

I also sent out a email to someone I once kinda knew and asked him to pull the story as well. If it does get pulled so be it, if not I have done all I can do. If the server blows up or you need a few extra bucks to pay for bandwidth I currently feel guilty enough to help out with it. Just ask.

And to think, most people are happy when something they submit gets posted on slashdot.. I feel like crap and had my submission raped.

As far as nintendo goes, I dont think they will be a problem. ZC has been around for years and its not like your selling it or making money off of it. Its not romz or emulation so no worries there, and its homebrew so there are additional protections under the dmca since your trying to be as 'compatible' as possible with the original.

Sorry for the other trouble.

Tsukuru
10-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Some of the replies to this slashdot thread compete in hillarity to the bad CNET reviews (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=8953) of old.

"... But, honestly, the tendency for open source game developers to spend massive amounts of time simply copying something we already have disappoints me."

Hrm.

satyr
10-26-2004, 11:56 PM
a correction saying that the groups are full, or are only accepting a few more members. I can't imagine how many people will see that and go "hey, I use mac, I think I'll go join!"

..and that's a problem.. how?

*b*
10-27-2004, 12:06 AM
..and that would concern you.. how?

we have enough betatesters as it is, we don't need any more newbies joining just so they can be denied a beta testing position

satyr
10-27-2004, 01:28 AM
..and that would concern you.. how?

we have enough betatesters as it is, we don't need any more newbies joining just so they can be denied a beta testing position
it concerns me as a prospective beta tester. If that's a problem, then don't send people off asking for help.

When you ask for help, then act as if it's not 'good enough', you come off sounding.. well, I'm sure you can figure it out.

But, assuming what you said to be true, I guess I don't need to be here, since it would only be to be denied a beta testing position..?