PDA

View Full Version : Enter Genesis

Ian
10-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Cut and pasted from PureZC (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=63&t=8058)

Enter Genesis

Before I mentino the story, I'd like to point out a few things:

-Yes, I'm using Link graphics. Only becuase I don't have the ability to creat a brand new person, and a portrair for him. So for now the main character, Turan, will look like Link.

- This quest has nothing to do with Zelda. the only references will be visually, but that's it. No names, no people, and no carrots. :)

- This quest will be very story focused. I'm trying to make it as involved as possible and stuff. While, the story part of the quest won't be long, I'm filling the void with a few side quests, which will give you more info on various things about the world, and more items and stuff to aid you along the way.

- There is no collecting ANYTHING. No crystals, no triforces, and no pies. Sorry. I'll probably have some kind of artwork in the triforce border space.

-It's my first quest, don't expect me to pull out an MtPP on you guys. :D

And now, with further ado, I give you the main atraction!

Do you?

Ah do.

And do you?

Ado too!

You may kiss the....story:

The quest starts off in a blacksmith's shop. Turan, the Blacksmith's aprentice finalyl finishes off his greates.....or shall I say, only work yet. For practice, he's been working on a Bracer. It's a shield that runs down the front of your arm, and has a sharp point on the top, whcih is in front of your hand, where you can attack things with. Anyways, he holds it up in excitement, and you can almost here a sound in the background, like on cue. But in spite of this great event, the fact that the metal is still burning a bright red slips Turans mind as he holds the Bracer as high as he can. In any case, he burns his hands and drops the Bracer. He lets it cool off, and pick it back up
Turan:
"Hiyaahh. Ufhh. This thing is hard to use. Mind if I go test it out in the forest?"

Smith (The Blacksmith. Yeah, I know. Don't even say it):
"Sure, but while you're out, drop by Fort Calen and see if they have any spare firewood. We're runnig low.

Turan:
"Yeah, sure. I'm gonna pick up some Rabit too. We haven't had that in a while"

Turan is about 15 or so. Nobody's really sure, heck I'm not even sure...becuase I never got that far. Just kidding, his age doesn't matter. yet Anyways, like anyone else, he's not perfect. He's a smartass, and too curious for his own good. But most of all, he has a memory problem. He blacks out usually about once a day. He's doing something he normally does, but then he just realizes he's not where he was. It's not like he ends up standing over dead body's usually, he's just doing normal things. There's always townfolk to come to his aid if people accuse him, as he's always around someone.

So yeah, he's out slashing around with his bracer, cutting up trees and stuff, when he comes out to a ciff. As how looks around, he noticed something in the sky. Something big. No it wasn't a bid, or plane, and Superman is usually sleeping at this time of day. It was a huge black tornado-like thing reaching from the ground up past the clouds. His vision is skewed by trees as he searches for where it hits the ground. As he runs down the cliff, everything gets blurry, and then his concious fades...

Yep, that's about it for now. I can't really say any more without giving it all away. It'll have twists, and it'll have turns. I'll be using portraits for a few people. I don't have a due date right now, as it's too early to tell where this goes. Iwouldn't epect it any earlier than next December. I'll probably have a demo up to and including 1/3 of the quest. Maybe for a Spring expo, if the happens to be one.

I've been working on tiles mostly over the past week or so. I'm trying to get lots of detail tiles for right now before I go all out and build the whole overworld. I've got a lot of new stuff done, most of which you'll be seeing in a SotW in the next few weeks. My most recent SotW entries will probably be in the quest. Changed around a bit maybe.

After I enter a SotW in the near future, I'll give you guys loads of screens of what I've been working on. Anyways, hope you had the most boringest time reading all of this! ^_^ I know I did :P

I doubt many of you know who I am, but this is my frist real atempt at a quest. I'm still working on the story and stuff though. Most of it is set in stone, but I'm trying to work everything out so even if it's not possible, it works in a logical way. I don't want any loose ends, no plot holes, no little oops, so I'm ironic all that out before digging into the OVerworld. I do have some stuff done though.

Anyways, I don't have many screenshots yet because I don't really want to show off too much. But like I said above, there'll be lots of screenies in a week or two's time.

mr.Descer
10-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Hey I know who you are. You have done many great tiles. especially for my buddy P. :)
I cannot wait to play a quest made by Ian! Your screenshots look really cool. I love the Zelda 3 set. I juts wonder why you use Zelda tiles in non-Zelda quest. :/

Ian
10-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Well, if I ever get a week or two off from everything, for soem random reason, I'll probably take the time to change all the sprites. The only thing about that is that making portraits for them would be really hard. That's one of the key reasons I'm still using zelda tiles.

Orion
10-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Glad to see someone is actually using the Z3 set. As far as I know you're the only one to do so, so far.

ShadowTiger
10-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Oh, rest assured Orion, it's infinitely more popular than you make it out to be. :thumbsup: Really, people are really enjoying it. (As you can plainly see. :p ) Thanks for it, quite eternally.

IaN, I can't wait to see how the quest turns out. Your talents easily surpass that of mine, (Don't comment! O_O ) (Train of thought derails completely.) and I don't know of your quest speed. Good luck Ian. :thumbsup:

Ian
10-28-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm almost sure that Hero Link is also using it for his ALttP remake. At least I think it was Hero Link. Yes, it's a great set, and I've really gotten into it. You don't know how amazed I was when you released this version, because I was using a version from before. Needless to say, it made life a hell lot better.

It's going kinda slow, but I have most of my new Overworld tiles recolored and ripped into ZC, so hopefully I can get a good chunk into it by the end of the week.

(Train of thought derails completely.)
:P :D

Freedom
10-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm looking forward to this quest Ian, and I believe BH4 is correct, this tileset is going to see a lot of use in the future, I hope to do a quest with it in the future myself, if I ever get caught up.

C-Dawg
10-28-2004, 01:50 PM
The Z3 tiles are amazing; really awesome looking stuff from Orion. I've been playing with them in my spare time, but have nothing to show for it just yet.

That said; Ian, you're using the mountain/elevation tiles incorrectly. The Z3 tiles should never have a border of only one tile (which is what you do on the water's edge.) They're tricky to work with, but if you use them correctly, they look a billion times better.

I'm only mentioning this because it was a frequent problem with DOY, and distracted from the graphics of the game. It's easily correctable if you work with the tiles for a bit.

-C

Ian
10-28-2004, 07:35 PM
I've noticed it a few times, and I've been working on fixing those up today, actually. But yes, you're right. You really notice if you look at it animated :P

EDIT: Ah the irony. The only screen that gives me trouble to the one in my sig. Of course! Oh well, it does look a whole lot better.

(Great to see you're still coming in from time to time :thumbsup: )

Ian
11-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Update: I've been working on some rips over the pst couple of days. New houses, trees, rocks, bushes and other townly stuff. It's looking awesome. I'm not sure how it'll fite with the rest of the town tiles, but if push comes to shove, I'll replace the old with the new. Hopefully I'll be able to use a combination. I'll probably spend most of my time ripping and recoloring for a few weeks.

I've got most the story worked out now. The smaller details will come when I actaully get to these parts.