PDA

View Full Version : MoRe StUpId QuEsTiOnS!

questerd00dman^
10-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Just a few questions i was wondering about......

1)can you organize the order of the palletes colors when you rip an image? That way if there is more than 16 colors in an image you can flip through the csets without the colors getting mixed up. EXAMPLE: you rip an image that has 2 csets but when you rip the pallete one color say was supposed to be light brown for a tree, was instead dark blue for water that was SUPPOSED to be in the other cset.

2)Is there a way to make it where you step on a tile and all the enemys in the flash a color as if you hit them with your sword then just die in the same place and anything they would`ve dropped appeared afterwords?EXAMPLE: Step on swich,
enemies flash, blow up, and rupees and hearts appear out of the smoke.

3)How do i change wich cset i want special sprites to be displayed as. EXAMPLE: I have link sprites. I want to recolor him orange but none of the colors i want to recolor are in that cset so i make a new cset with orange shades, recolor him a bit and stuff and when i go back to his original cset the colors are all mixed up on him and when i play my quest it uses the mixed up colors. so how do i change links cset?

(NOTE:It was kind of hard to explain all that so you may have to re-read alot)

4)Can someone give me a good explanation all about custom bosses and making a custom boss hp meter?

Thats about all i`ve got to ask now. :mega:

-Xero

Freedom
10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
there's a palette tutorial on my page I've been working on, it has a ways to go, but answers some basic questions - ZC info in my sig.

2) I don't think so.

3) links colors

Quest ->Palettes ->Main - Cset 6 is Link's cset with no ring.

Quest ->Palettes->Sprites->1 - Cset 6 is Link's cset with the blue ring.

Quest ->Palettes->Sprites->1 - Cset 7 is Link's cset with the red ring.

Quest ->Palettes->Sprites->1 - Cset 8 is Link's cset with the gold ring.

Quest ->Palettes->Sprites->1 - Cset 9 is the quest icon with no ring.

Quest ->Palettes->Sprites->1 - Cset 10 is the quest icon with the blue ring.

Quest ->Palettes->Sprites->1 - Cset 11 is the quest icon with the red ring.

Quest ->Palettes->Sprites->1 - Cset 12 is the quest icon with the gold ring.

VEL
10-23-2004, 09:04 PM
2)Is there a way to make it where you step on a tile and all the enemys in the flash a color as if you hit them with your sword then just die in the same place and anything they would`ve dropped appeared afterwords?EXAMPLE: Step on swich,
enemies flash, blow up, and rupees and hearts appear out of the smoke.

I copied this out of the "zquest.txt" file that comes with ZC.
KillAllEnemies: When you touch this item, all enemies in the room die.
I think you could use this item for what you want, it might be a one time only thing though (per screen), I'm not sure.

4matsy
10-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Yeah, you have to place the KAE as an item, so once you grab it, it's gone for good. Actually, I suspect this is why he asked about the tile method...:D

Unless you buy it in a shop. But since you use them right away and can't carry them with you, there's no point in even having them for sale...:blah:

And to answer #1...no. Best you can do, to my knowlede, is to reduce all graphics you want to rip from to 16 colors, so that every color in the original image is then guaranteed to be represented in the resulting ZQuest tiles and csets...if you rip from an image with more than 16 colors, ZQuest doesn't just assign each color to an index, but instead starts guessing which pixel is which color, and throws in some error diffusion (graininess) as well, which usually looks downright nasty...

Superstrider
10-26-2004, 05:12 PM
And to answer #1...no. Best you can do, to my knowlegde, is to reduce all graphics you want to rip from to 16 colors, so that every color in the original image is then guaranteed to be represented in the resulting ZQuest tiles and csets...if you rip from an image with more than 16 colors, ZQuest doesn't just assign each color to an index, but instead starts guessing which pixel is which color, and throws in some error diffusion (graininess) as well, which usually looks downright nasty...

I agree with that. When I had to create my Tails Sprites for The Legend of Sally, I ran into that problem. I had to edit the colors of each sprite in paint, then import them into ZQuest. Then, they had to be recolored in the Link Palattes. The end result:

http://www.zcworld.net/forums/screenshots/[21]tailsspritetiles.gif

I'll let this image to speak for itself. (These tiles were the ones ripped from my Quest.)

As stated before, ZQuest can only support 16 colors for each sprite. You will have to work around that.

Freedom
10-26-2004, 05:17 PM
As stated before, ZQuest can only support 16 colors for each sprite. You will have to work around that.

actually less, one is transparent, and one is black

C-Dawg
10-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Bottom line for tile ripping : The fewer colors, the better. This means that when you're making funky big spites for your game, it's probably worthwhile to draw them outside of Zquest using ONLY black and white, and color them in-game. And as for ripping more complicated tiles... good luck. I have no clue how people like Warlock did their original Sd3 pallettes.

-C