PDA

View Full Version : How do u read signs in zelda classic

Hulio
10-22-2004, 03:53 AM
In these zelda games i wanna know at u press to read signs.
Ive tried every damn button and i cant read them :(

Questwizard88
10-22-2004, 10:38 AM
What "signs" are you trying to read, and in what quest?

Ganonator
10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Signs can not be done like you are thinking of ( such as LttP style signs), but your players can be tricked into thinking they are very easily.

Make a screen with a sign on it. Make sure everything is cosmetically set up. Next, put a pit warp in front of the sign, that takes you to an identical screen where text is on the screen (as if you were reading a sign ).

As the player moves around, he'll walk on other pit warps back to the original screen. You'll have to play around with it for a while to get it to look right.

Good luck!

Hulio
10-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Yeh tnx :D cos i thought there was some special button u had to press to read signs in the game but that idea would make more sense.
But I also have seen some screenshots of ppl reading signs before where some small black text seems to cover a small propertion of the screen instead of going right across

ill show u a screenshot of one used in practice when i find one

Freedom
10-22-2004, 07:12 PM
I do that sometimes by just using a temp trigger and putting the words on layer 3

Belgarath
10-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Creating a new room only for text seems like allot of work.

Ganonator
10-22-2004, 07:50 PM
It is work, but if you want your quest to stand out, you need to go the extra mile to make it look pretty. I know quest makes who go to a different room where a string is displayed.

All about style, of course.

C-Dawg
10-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Yea, readable signs and speaking to townspeople and the like is sort of the norm in the upper echelon of quests nowadays. That doesn't mean that you can't make a solid quest without it. Don't try to freestyle before you can doggie paddle; make yourself a nice standard quest to get the hang of the engine, and gradually try out new techniques as you get confident with the old stuff.

-C