PDA

View Full Version : What's all this then?

Eckels
10-20-2004, 09:30 PM
[21:17] <Eckels> i had an idea for a front page that i think would be awesome if it was a collaboration
[21:17] <Shadowblazer> lay it on me ape man
[21:17] <Eckels> all it would be is a front page, with links to like, ZC, SE and the forums
[21:18] <Eckels> but it would be different with each refresh
[21:18] <Eckels> and there could be a bank of like 50 or 100 pages
[21:18] <Shadowblazer> oh my
[21:18] <Eckels> nothing crazy, all simple, but kinda artistic
[21:18] <Shadowblazer> that's... interesting
[21:18] <Shadowblazer> yesss...
[21:18] <Eckels> i thought it would be cool if we had a few people, like you, me, maybe JJmax, a few others
[21:18] <Eckels> to come up with 10 or so pages
[21:18] <Shadowblazer> yeah, I like that
[21:18] <Eckels> and they'd all be put up as the main page
[21:18] <Eckels> dig it?
[21:19] <Shadowblazer> I could certainly whip something up
[21:19] <Shadowblazer> definitely
[21:19] <Eckels> yeah, i mean totally simple
[21:19] <Eckels> i want to create a forum for it
[21:20] <Eckels> which i'll probably do, and invite people to join in
[21:20] <Eckels> not a public forum
[21:20] <Eckels> but a staff forum
[21:20] <Eckels> maybe we could allow public contests
[21:20] <Eckels> for extra pages
[21:20] <Shadowblazer> yeah, good idea
[21:20] <Eckels> that would be cool too
[21:20] <Eckels> ok i'll make the forum
[21:21] <Shadowblazer> yay

Ok so that's it in a nutshell..

The pages can be as basic or as complicated, as dynamic or as static as you want them to be, but keep in mind they all have to be nothing more than a porthole to AG. A link to the forums, a link to ZC, and a link to SE.

We would also have to decide on a few ground rules, like should each page be "signed" by the author? I thought that was a neat idea. What should the total filesize of the page and all necessary files be (for instance Flash, or Javascript files), and do we want universal compatibility (dumbed down code) on some of the more treat filled pages, or do we care little enough about that to let people have some uni-platform fun?

any comments or questions please state em. If you're willing to join in this project, simply start a thread with your name as the subject. That will be your portfolio.

Make sense?

cyberkitten
10-20-2004, 11:09 PM
eckels, i lubu. and i promise as soon as this funeral thing is over and my brain is something less than mush, i'll be able to process thoughts again and come up with something to contribute.
oh, and did i mention that i lubu?

Rainman
10-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Awesome! I'm totally willing to contribute. I can't spend a shit load of time on this as I'm doing some college stuff, but I'll think of some things I could do. I'll make a "portfolio" topic whenever I do so. :)

AtmaWeapon
10-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh man I am so going to do one of the following:

Become enthusiastic about the project and begin working on it, then get sidetracked and eventually miss the deadline Submit a mediocre entry that will be ridiculed and rejected

I really need to work on my motivation :)

*edit* odd... I used the quick reply first and it looked like I made a post but then no post was there...

carrot red
10-22-2004, 10:27 PM
I have read it before (and wanted to joke saying to ck that she mentioned it twice.)

I don't usually post unless I have something of substance to say, but anyway...

-The filesize shouldn't be too big for it might deter people on dial up. As for compatibilities, you have to see what OS s frequent the forums the most and take that into consideration.
-You could make a contest out of it, the prize being the signature (or Premium for a couple of months for regular members.)
-Some people could come up with ideas, but not with the programing. (In my case, it takes me too long to program the simplest page and time is something I lack.)
-Just a porthole or a news page also as it was talked about several times?
-I think your best bet is laying out a unified skeleton and giving free reign to creativity.

Mercy
10-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Hey Eckels, you might want to make sure all the submissions are html compatible.

And I still have that shotgun if you change your mind.

m.

Eckels
10-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Oh man I am so going to do one of the following:

Become enthusiastic about the project and begin working on it, then get sidetracked and eventually miss the deadline Submit a mediocre entry that will be ridiculed and rejected

I really need to work on my motivation :)

*edit* odd... I used the quick reply first and it looked like I made a post but then no post was there...

No deadline - Just submit a page.

Eckels
10-29-2004, 05:21 PM
come On, Fuckars! Make Something!

Foxy
10-30-2004, 09:11 AM
I have some stuff made up, I just need to do the linking part and I'll submit them. Would've done so sooner, except my three boys have been keeping me distracted. :-)

jman2050
11-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Woah, what an awesome idea. I wouldn't have ever thought of that.

Hopefully I can make something nice and good to put on the main page. Good luck to everyone else as well.

Eckels
11-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Awesome, get into it.

As for what happens next, I'm waiting for J-Rod to get something together for armageddongames.com, that's where these pages will go.

theplustwo
11-18-2004, 12:05 PM
you could, alternatively, make it like css zen garden and just have people submit different css layouts (with necessary images/etc) but run it all off of one html file

gdorf
11-18-2004, 06:07 PM
I'd like to make a thread, but it says I don't have permission.

edit: just noticed: all the users who have posted sofar are either paying members or mods..

Eckels
11-18-2004, 06:12 PM
odd... lemme see what's up

edit - should be fixed, try it now.

Wallnut1588
12-01-2004, 08:17 PM
so, uh, where do i submit?

me2
12-01-2004, 08:32 PM
If you're willing to join in this project, simply start a thread with your name as the subject. That will be your portfolio.

I have an idea, but I suck at designing. So if wants to, feel free to do it for me. :)
-a file folder that has "Armageddon Games" diagonally (/), and under it, CLASSIFIED in caps. It has tabs for the Forums, ZC, and SE. It has that one font, you know, the one you see on a portfolio. in big red faded letters.

Zhoros
12-22-2004, 10:37 PM
I dont have the spare time to devote to a project such as this.. however I will provide some inspiration...

http://www.csszengarden.com

The above website functions similar to the way your intend your homepage to function. XHTML/CSS is the way to go.

-Zhoros