PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend thinking about your posts?

ShadowTiger
10-14-2004, 11:36 AM
I think this will be an interesting thread. I hope it proves to be very enlightening for some of us, myself included. (And by that same token, it could also prove nearly devastating in the opposite fashion. We'll see.)

About how much time do you think you spend thinking about what you're going to post, and actually posting? How many revisions do you do, or do you just post immediately what comes into your mind? And do you ever change that as you type it? Do you ever stop and think, and see something which may come to be from your content?

Okay, here's an interesting one. Have you ever actually done research before posting? Or have you ever just relied on your instincts for a post .. say.. in the Think Tank?

Or, do you ever feel a sort of inhibition while posting, such as having an odd problem where your train of thought frequently gets completely derailed, and as a result, your proverbial train company gets sued by the passengers? (Hence, Train/Train Company = You and your post, and Passengers = other members and their responses to your post and their critiques.)

Also, how frequently do you feel you must abide by the rules of the forum? (Within limits, of course.) For example, I remember a topic about the Greatest NES game in General Discussion which was never moved, (Something which I've always wondered about.) and then there's always GB, for which you always stand the chance for being flamed for sticking up for people and doing good things. To clarify that last one, just because you're in a forum where flaming can exist, doesn't mean it must exist in all instances. Therefore, due to the freedom allowed like that, arguments can exist debating even whether or not flaming is mandatory. And by recent events, they certainly do! ^_^;'

Ah, forum life. :rolleyes:

SixTen
10-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Usually I go through and try to fix all the grammar mistakes, unless I'm really tired or in a state when I just don't care. I have done some research for a thread in Think Tank once, but it wasn't very much, and I can't remember if it was online or offline research.

I try to abide by the rules. I have only recieved one warning, and that was for gravedigging, but the post had been bumped by a vote in the poll adn I hadn't checked the dates. So that was still kind of my fault. I always check the dates on posts now.

I don't go in to GB much, mostly because I'm not very good at arguing let alone good at holding my own when 20 other people are flaming you. I also find I sometimes post the stupidest shit there (see my thread about the fucking freshmen here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=78948) ).

I also don't know why I was so obsessed with getting to 1000 posts so fast. It was a lame goal. The only thing I think it accomplished was to get a good sense of who everyone was on here and how they acted. I don't get pissed off when someone flames me or disagrees with me because it's a frickin web board and there's more to life than this.

I am going to stop before I go on a rant.

slothman
10-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Hey SixTen 10 more posts until you are leet. :D
I do try to think before I post. Obviously I don't always. :(

@Britannianhero4
Or, do you ever feel a sort of inhibition while posting, such as having an odd problem where your train of thought frequently gets completely derailed, and as a result, your proverbial train company gets sued by the passengers? (Hence, Train/Train Company = You and your post, and Passengers = other members and their responses to your post and their critiques.)
I saw a quote on TV once where one person was asking another how he could sit in his chair. It was related to the fact that people who do what others want, hence spineless would have a hard time sitting without a spine. A very obscure analogy. Yours is similar in obscurity but still funny.

I do check for spelling, though only with MS Word, before anything but short posts.
I often feel I do have to abide by the rules, not just because they are rules, but because they are nice as well.

P.S. I think the NES game topic wasn't moved because GD can have topics about most things. Someone may want it in GB so more people can see it.

I once bumped a poll by voting not realizing that that happens. I don't think anything much happened after though.

Gerudo
10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
in all reality, sometimes it doesnt matter how much time you spend thinking about you post, because someone else can come along, and just because your post isnt up to their standards, the whole post is basically negated (http://www.armageddongames.net/showpost.php?p=967965&postcount=53), no matter if you spent 5 seconds or 5 minutes on it...

thinking about my post? i do it as i am typing, then go back and input my additional thoughts when i am finished, then submit.

Ich
10-14-2004, 02:13 PM
As little as possible.

Darkgrammer
10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
I write it (w.e minutes it takes 1- 10) and post it, when I post it I read it and edit mistakes. nuff' said. :cool:

Rainman
10-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Depends on the type of post. One such as this take virtually no thought just recollection. I quickly come up with an idea for a reply than post it.

For ones that require more thought I spend a lot of time revising and editing until it's exactly how I want it to be.

*b*
10-14-2004, 02:45 PM
same as Rainman; it depends on the post. usually, if I'm posting an answer to a question somone has in ZC help, I'll go into ZQuest to make sure my answer's right

Goat
10-16-2004, 10:28 AM
About 5 minutes or so, most of teh time id ont even read teh whoel thread, my mind is made up after i read the opening post

Archibaldo
10-16-2004, 10:35 AM
It depends on what thread I'm posting in, if it;'s a thread in GD, I just go with my opinions,, If it's in GB I take careful consideration not to post something stupid. And in Think Tank, I just post with my instinct. I only ever change my posts if there is a spelling or grammar mistake.

Sylvan_Wizard
10-16-2004, 12:32 PM
About how much time do you think you spend thinking about what you're going to post, and actually posting?Depends. Some posts are quick, I already know what I want to post, and I just take about as long as it takes to type it. Some I think on for a few minutes. Usually for the ones I think on I'm simply thinking how to word things. On the other hand, sometimes I'll read something I'll be thinking about for days or more, and when I'm done thinking about it I'll end up posting something about it, which would be why I don't spend too much time thinking when posting, because I do it AFK.

How many revisions do you do, or do you just post immediately what comes into your mind?I usually make a few corrections as I'm typing, and then go back and edit for typos.

And do you ever change that as you type it? Do you ever stop and think, and see something which may come to be from your content?I usually do.

Have you ever actually done research before posting?Many times. I debate a lot and am frequently called on to back up my statements.

Or have you ever just relied on your instincts for a post .. say.. in the Think Tank?Done that too.

Or, do you ever feel a sort of inhibition while posting, such as having an odd problem where your train of thought frequently gets completely derailed, and as a result, your proverbial train company gets sued by the passengers? (Hence, Train/Train Company = You and your post, and Passengers = other members and their responses to your post and their critiques.)When debating in real life I frequently end up going off on a tangent to prove a related point and end up forgetting what started the debate... One of the things I love about debating online is that it's all written down so I don't have to worry about forgetting it.
I have had topics derailed, but I don't think I've had an inhibition about posting.

Also, how frequently do you feel you must abide by the rules of the forum?I usually do, though sometimes I might debate the rules if I think they should be changed. ;)

Dark_jester1587
10-17-2004, 12:20 PM
i write whatever is in my sick and twisted mind...

Dracula
10-17-2004, 06:31 PM
i write whatever is in my sick and twisted mind...

...which obviously means you have plenty of wasted spare time for thinking about what you post. It's obvious,we know. :disgust: