PDA

View Full Version : I jumped out of a flaming car.

Toolie
10-10-2004, 06:27 PM
So yesterday, my friends Darren and Dan pick up Russ and I from his dorm on the north end of campus. We stop by the south end at mine and Dan's hall to grab some things quick, so we try to find a parking spot in the lot behind my building - which happens to be the main lot for the campus.

A small divider splits the entrance to the lot for entering and exiting traffic. We go past this divider, look for a spot.. can't find any. Darren, who is driving and not from here, starts to reverse as we decide we'll just hold the car next to the building for a minute since we wont be long. He reverses fast out of the lot, but neglects to realize the concrete divider is present.

The left tires jump on to the divider as the right two tires stay on the pavement. The concrete divider is high enough that as the car is wedged like this and moving backward, the fuel tank is scraping on the curb of the median. Soon, the fuel tank ruptures and sparks from a security box we overran catches the rear on fire. This all happens in a matter of a second or two.

I turn around to see what the fuck we just hit, and am greeted with flames lashing at the back window and running up the length of the car awfully fast. I turn and say in a oddly calm matter, "Uh, we're definately on fire." Dan jumps out of the passenger seat to wave down public safety. Russ jumps out the back right seat and takes off. Darren, who has a busted knee, has trouble getting out of the front seat but makes it. I jump out the front driver side because the left door was blocked by the security post on the median.

By the time Darren, and eventually I, got out of the driver side door, flames were totally engulfing the car. All I could do was try to get out of the car before the fuel tank ruptured, and that thought was right in the front of my mind. By the time I had gotten out of the car, flames licking at my jacket had caught the fibers on fire but I quickly put it out as I ran a few yards from the car.

Needless to say, the car exploded... not really movie style, but quickly went up in a tower of flames. The back end melted totally down, with the rest of the car totally burnt beyond recognition. My friend lost his cell phone, wallet, clothes, and food in the car that he had for school. A half dozen police cars showed up along with the fire company. We were asked questions for a bit and let go. None of us were fucked up, so we weren't tested or in trouble or anything.

Afterwards, we all went on with our lives like nothing had happened and went out to party heavily. Now we're known as the people who blew up a fucking car next to the cafeteria. Really, it's unbelievable. For some reason, things like this happen to me a lot more often than the normal person.

Hopefully, his insurance company can do something for him... I feel pretty bad. But, not my car. The first thing I did when I got out of the car was laugh hysterically. I still can't believe it happened.

I tried to take a picture of the car burning with my phone, but it didn't really come out. I could get a picture sometime of the melted and charred parts that are stuck to the asphalt and concrete, with black charred marks everywhere around it.

At this rate, I wonder how long I will stay alive.

Feasul
10-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Really, it's unbelievable. For some reason, things like this happen to me a lot more often than the normal person.
We are all the protagonists in our own lives. Anyway, since no one was hurt, I can safely say, That's awesome! I sorta wish I was there. Now at your next birthday you actually have a reason to celebrate the fact that you haven't died yet.

AtmaWeapon
10-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Awesome. It's a shame the pictures didn't turn out, this is the second "My car caught fire" thread I've seen this month and the second with no pictures :( I want a towering inferno, for crying out loud!

BTW I'm glad you are OK Toolie. Sucks to be your friend, though.

*edit* by that I mean "sucks to be the person whose car caught fire", and not "sucks to be a person who is your friend"

Glitch
10-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Jesus Christ man. That's some insane shit....

goKi
10-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Toolie, you are such an action hero. Last thing i'd be doing if my car caught on fire would be taking pictures.

ShadowTiger
10-10-2004, 09:16 PM
(Friends, Family,
...Countrymen...
You have just witnessed the birth of a sig quote.

*:p* Congratulations on keeping your mortality close to you at all times, Toolie. I don't know what we would do without you.

Rainman
10-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Wow, this is a bit more exciting than your nail clipping topic. About the only thing that could make it more exciting is if it was speeding towards a cliff. Also, perhaps if you were carrying something important like vital medical supplies or something in the back seat.

God dammit I wish something exciting would happen around here.

Master Ghaleon
10-11-2004, 01:23 AM
All you need now is a flying red-butt monkey and a bannana and your all set for the circus.

Damn, thats crazy. Good thing no one got hurt or arrested ;)

Drunken Tiger
10-11-2004, 06:01 AM
BOO!! No pics.. Moments like these calls for videos!!! :sb:

Just joking, Glad noone got hurt.. Needless to say that exploding cars are very dangerous.. -_-''

DT

goKi
10-11-2004, 07:45 AM
If it's videos of a flaming car we want, i know you have a 3G camera phone, DT.

Archibaldo
10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Oh shit! How were you alble to stay calm while you were in a flaming car. I'd wouuld've freaked out and probably be to shocked to get out.

Samson007
10-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Wow thats a very impressive story. Im glad you were not horrible mamed in the process.

Drunken Tiger
10-12-2004, 03:23 AM
If it's videos of a flaming car we want, i know you have a 3G camera phone, DT.

Did you set your car on fire too goki?? =)

goKi
10-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Did you set your car on fire too goki?? =)

Do i look Tasmanian to you, DT?

Destiny
10-13-2004, 08:11 PM
At that rate, I think we all wonder how long you'll stay alive. I hope it is for a long time. :)

Deviance
10-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Toolie if you didn't notice you were on WNEP news today. Happy you are safe :)

Toolie
10-14-2004, 12:21 PM
WNEP? I'm still not familiar with the local news broadcasts in the area... when did this happen? It's very intereseting :)

I also landed a spot in the Beacon, and I think perhaps the Times Leader, though I'll have to check.

Deviance
10-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Well WNEP News is called Newswatch 16. They showed the fire from the heli. I was like damn.

Pablo
10-14-2004, 07:50 PM
I also landed a spot in the Beacon, and I think perhaps the Times Leader, though I'll have to check.Scan please :)