PDA

View Full Version : Can you have an item then lose it?

Ovi
10-03-2004, 09:08 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I know that this is a ling shot, but I want to create a quest in which you start with all the items and then, to make it a little more fun, you battle with somebody, <blah, blah, you don't care> and then Ganon does something to make you loose everything you have, therefor resulting in a quest just like any other... what I'm trying to say is whether or not it is possible to start with all the items in a dungen, and as soon as you complete the dungen, you lose everything you have exept the wood sword.

*b*
10-03-2004, 09:37 PM
unfortunatley, no. but, I did talk with fatcatfan (one of the developers) and he said that it could be done, but he's not sure if it WILL be done

Dark Nation
10-04-2004, 12:00 PM
It is not possible yet. It should be at some point, but I'm not sure when. I'm already putting in motion the workings for DMap-based item restrictions (like you enter a temple where no magic is allowed, or an arena where you can only use your wooden sword) but actually removing items isn't there yet.

ShadowTiger
10-04-2004, 12:53 PM
And yet getting them is. I may know virtually nothing about the code, but I just find it a bit funny that you can walk over a sprite, and suddenly it appears in your inventory, fully usable, yet there's not that much in the way of reversing that operation. .. Like maybe turning 'off' a flag that says you have the item. Well, again, what do I know about the code. :shrug:

Whatever happens is fine, DN. If we really had to, I'm sure we could just stop the quest there, and begin another quest after that plot scene in the condition Link will be in at such a stage. That would work, but .. you all know what I mean, and know very well the implications of such a project.

Dark Nation
10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
I can remove items in the code with no problem. The problem is finding a nice way for the quest designer to do it. I suppose I could finish the temporary item blocking code for the DMaps and have a checkbox that has the items actually removed instead of just disabled when you enter the DMap. Thoughts?

Ovi
10-07-2004, 06:33 AM
I just thought of something: You can lose your shield because of some of minions (happens all the time in 6th dungen 1st quest) You could just make some more minions who will take away other items, that way you can preety much create a story line too.

Freelancer
10-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Okay making it so you start off with all items is possible, try Initail data but there is only one kind of minion/like like and he steals your shield. For the Dark Nation what are YOU talking about?

Ovi
10-10-2004, 10:16 PM
The point is that it would be really cool to have a quest in which you start off fully ecuiped then you go try to fight ganon but he defeats you and you end up loosing everything and having to do the part before you fight ganon. Basicly, the quest would start with the end, continue with the begining and finish with a different version of the same end (obviously it will be a lot harder and this time you defeat Ganon)

*b*
10-10-2004, 10:49 PM
or, you can lose items during cutscenes, allowing you to play as another charachter, maybe

DN: would the effect you're proposing be permanent, or temporary?

ZTC
10-11-2004, 02:38 AM
DN, once the items are removed, you can collect them again, i assume?
if so, then the one quest i'm workin on would get pretty interesting, for i could combine the 2 episodes...

anyways, it would be a nice feature to see in the next public release...

Espo
10-15-2004, 11:33 PM
I know nothing of the code BUT...

It would seem to me that in order to propagate item possesions through the rest of the quest you have the item possesion as a global variable. So when you get an item some happens along the lines of...

global ITEM raft=TRUE;

if this is the case then you can have events that occur that can then run the line

global ITEM raft=FALSE;

you could implement this in the data menu by having a "subtract item" screen flag and have the item to subtract selectable form the "item" option in Data->Item. of course there would have to be some error checking to make sure the selected item is actually in possession.

By the way I'm an electrical engineer and not a software engineer so if anything I said here is completely foolish or incorrect please disregard.

MottZilla
10-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Dark Nation or pretty much any decent programmer could easily code something to do what you are proposing. The thing is making it fit in nicely.

DN, I think that would work nicely. So when you enter that DMAP it would rather than uh, disable, certain items, you could also check a "remove items permanently" box? If so, ya that sounds fun. ;)

Espo
10-16-2004, 10:54 AM
yes, interface is the one of the most important parts of programming i suppose.