PDA

View Full Version : X-men Legends

cap2030
09-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I got this game yesterday and stayed up till almost 5 in the morning playing.
It's probably the best x-men game ever.

Anyone else played this yet?

vegeta1215
09-30-2004, 11:12 PM
I used to be really into X-Men - I collected X-Men comics, action figures, watched the cartoons. I remember the playing the 5 person X-Men arcade game, and having the X-Men games on Genesis. X-Men is awesome.

But no, I haven't played it yet. I'd like to though.

MottZilla
10-01-2004, 12:20 AM
I haven't had the chance to rent it yet. The place only has 1 copy of it. From what I've seen it looks that it could be fun, good to see it was good enough for someone to post about it. ;) I'll definitely have to check it out.

Vagla
10-01-2004, 12:40 AM
I used to be really into X-Men - I collected X-Men comics, action figures, watched the cartoons. I remember the playing the 5 person X-Men arcade game, and having the X-Men games on Genesis. X-Men is awesome.

It's a 6 person arcade game, actually (though it also is available in 4 person. Not sure about 2 person). There was one on eBay a while back that I would have liked to have bought, but the price was a lot higher than I thought it should have been, the shipping price would be been horrible, and I would have no place to put it (the thing weighs nearly 2 tons, according to the auction, and is insanely big. The seller was selling it because he couldn't get it into his basement as planned, heh). But yeah, the arcade game is pretty fun; multiplayer sidescrolling beat-em-ups of that sort are pretty good, though I think X-Men is one of the worst of them (but I'm not saying it's bad, of course).

As for X-Men Legends, I keep glancing at the TV at the very end of its commercial and I've yet to read up on it online, so I don't know much about it. Looks like it could be potentially good, though, so I'll be sure to look into it soon.

vegeta1215
10-01-2004, 01:04 AM
It's a 6 person arcade game, actually (though it also is available in 4 person. Not sure about 2 person). There was one on eBay a while back that I would have liked to have bought, but the price was a lot higher than I thought it should have been, the shipping price would be been horrible, and I would have no place to put it (the thing weighs nearly 2 tons, according to the auction, and is insanely big. The seller was selling it because he couldn't get it into his basement as planned, heh). But yeah, the arcade game is pretty fun; multiplayer sidescrolling beat-em-ups of that sort are pretty good, though I think X-Men is one of the worst of them (but I'm not saying it's bad, of course).

Yeah, I couldn't remember how many players it had, but I knew it was at least 5. We had the X-Men arcade game in the arcade I worked at. What I great game. I think my friends and I finally played it all the way until the end. I took like $7.00 in quarters. I remember I liked playing as Dazzler, her special was neat.

Vagla
10-01-2004, 02:16 AM
You should probably give Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Turtles in Time, Sunset Riders, King of Dragons, and Knights of the Round. The first two are very similar to X-Men in terms of gameplay, Sunset Riders is a 4 player game of a kinda similar type (it's shooting, not fighting), Knights of the Round is a 3 player game slightly similar to TMNT and X-Men in gameplay but not in style (and overall, it's much better, IMO), and King of Dragons is kinda like Knights of the Round, but not quite (and I think it's only 2 player, but I might be wrong. It's a pretty far cry from X-Men, though). I'm trying to get my hands on all of these arcade games at the moment, but some of them are pretty pricey or so rare that I haven't even seen them for sale yet.

Are there any must-have games you remember from the arcade you worked at?

MottZilla
10-01-2004, 03:23 AM
Vagla, are you trying to get original or converted complete arcade game cabinets? Or are you wanting kits (pcb board, marquee, etc.)? PCBs or kits are much more common to run into than say a factory original game cabinet like TMNT or X-Men.

By the way, you can always use MAME (http://www.mame.net) as it emulates all of those.

Vagla
10-01-2004, 01:51 PM
I already have a cabinet, so my concern is just getting more PCBs. I got a broken Sunset Riders PCB for $13.50 recently which should be fixable, and I already have Super Dodge Ball (that's the cab I have. It's an SDB cab converted from Missile Command), but nothing else.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 4 player cab, though, since SDB's cab is only 2 players.

vegeta1215
10-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Are there any must-have games you remember from the arcade you worked at?

There are too many good games in the arcade that we had. Besides X-Men, there were some other games where multiple players battle in a similar fashion - like The Simpsons and TMNT games. Also all the fighting games like MK, MK II, MK 3, Killer Instinct, the X-Men fighting game, both Marvel VS Capcom games.

We never had NBA Hangtime, but an arcdea near us did. That is one of the few sports arcade games I got hooked on. Can't think of any others right now.

MottZilla
10-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Wow, I'm suprised there is another AGN member into arcades enough to know about cabinets and PCBS. :O

I would love to get a cabinet, you get the best play experience from a good cabinet I think. But cabinets take alot of space and aren't fun to move. That's why I might build a jamma rig instead, although some games that don't run at (roughly) 60hz can be a bitch when using a standard TV. Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct being offenders of such. Both games I wish to get. Right now I only have a Street Fighter II' CE pcb I got cheap. It works, and we actually put it in a friend's cabinet, though we never did finish converting it. It was a Donkey Kong Cabinet, which monitor was mounted vertical.

Can never have enough money to play with these things.

Vagla
10-01-2004, 04:49 PM
My cab needs a lot of work, heh. I need to get new controls for it, at least to match up the two joysticks (there are currently two different types of joysticks on it - one where the joystick itself moves a round thing around that pushes the microswitches, and one where it's square, not round. They actually feel pretty different). It'd probably benefit from a new coin door and some paint, and it overall needs some touchup/detailing work. *shrugs* I might just try to get a 4 player cab and leave it at that until I have my own place and thus have more room for this kind of thing.

The guy I got SDB from had arcade machines all over his house. His garage was filled with them, he had a game room with a pool table in the center and a bunch of games along the walls, and he had a lot outside in an open-ended shed. I think he went a bit overboard (taking into consideration the size of his house), but that's just my opinion. ;)

I'd like to either gut a 4 player cab and convert it to a MAME cab or just build a MAME cab from scratch sometime in the not too distant future. Not only would it be good for MAME stuff, but it'd be a great way to play NES and SNES stuff with friends, heh.

vegeta1215: Consider me weird, but I'm actually not much of a fan of one-on-one fighting games. Super Smash Bros. / Melee are basically the only fighting games that I've managed to really, thoroughly enjoy (well, and Samurai Shodown, but not so much as SSB/M). Street Fighter II and the MK games aren't bad games at all, and I might get the arcade versions of them, but I'm actually a lot more interested in the multiplayer sidescrolling brawling games and Raiden-like games. Course, there's a great deal of other stuff I want, like Rod-Land, Bubble Bobble (any of them), Puzzle Bobble (any), Smash TV, and Forgotten Worlds. Good stuff.

vegeta1215
10-01-2004, 05:28 PM
I forgot to mention Dragon's Lair. I loved that game. We had it at our arcade for the longest time, but we eventually had to get rid of it cause the laser disc system kept over heating and it was costing too much to get fixed.

I also go really hooked on Top Skater and Time Crisis II, but you can't build a cabinet with that. Raiden II is a great shooter arcade game, and the classics like Donkey Kong and Galaga and Ms Pacman are great. I was so mad when the arcade down the boardwalk in OC MD got rid of their Donkey Kong cabinet :(

MottZilla
10-02-2004, 04:05 AM
I'm gonna be like that guy someday. Just have my house packed with arcade cabs. =D

Collateral
10-03-2004, 12:06 AM
i wish the commercial actully showed gameplay footage.

Vagla
10-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Heh, I finally got my hands on a TMNT PCB, and I'll be trying to get a few more in the next couple of days. I'm pretty excited about actually putting my cab to some use, since Super Dodge Ball hasn't been that exciting considering that I've already played through most of the game and it's all really similar. I might try to get X-Men soon, but I'd have to wire it so that the start buttons on my cab also act as the third button, since SDB is only a two button game (and I don't yet know how to do that wiring).

MottZilla
10-04-2004, 01:29 AM
If you are wiring up 2 players for TMNT I hear that can be a pain in the ass to do. I wish I had a TMNT pcb though, both of them. I love the intro to TMNT Turtles in Time. Ah classic gaming...

Vagla
10-04-2004, 05:32 PM
This one is a two player version, so I should have no trouble. I'd also like to get Turtles in Time, and that should also be pretty simple to get working after a friend of mine gets me some 2 player chips for it.

I was trying to get Shadow Dancer yesterday, but it wound up going for a much higher price than I expected, so I refrained from bidding. Good game, but it's extremely frustrating (I can't even count how many times I died in it yesterday while playing through it in MAME).

Pizza Power!!

MottZilla
10-07-2004, 01:44 AM
I wish I had the money to feed my arcade game addiction right now. I would collect so many games, but since I can't atleast I have emulation. ;) For now atleast that'll do.