PDA

View Full Version : Stewart vs. O'Reilly

Axel
09-29-2004, 05:58 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/28/comedy.politics/index.html

Wow. Now I'm not suprised at all. Surprising as it may seem to those that don't watch him, Stewart actually covers most of the major issues. O'Reilly only pretends to know what's going on, as the article proves, once again.
The Daily Show, a valid news source? Apparently.

Saffith
09-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Here's an actual transcript: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132946,00.html
Jon actually referred to it on the show last night. "I know you've all had a long day of stoned slacking," and so forth. Heh.

Blonde799
09-30-2004, 11:34 AM
The Daily Show is teh best news source EVAR!:D I watch it like, all the time. It's the only way I can get an opinion on news that degrades stupidity.:p

Goat
09-30-2004, 01:39 PM
I love teh daily show, i love john stewart, i love steven colbert, i love them all, yes i even once loved crain kilborne (hey, he really did used to be funny) The daily show makes news fun, and interesting, brings you the news ina new and exciting way, i mean cmon, when you can get people like john kerry, jon mccain, and the most important man in teh world, tom cruise, to coem on your show, theres got to be soem validity to your program, i hate how all teh other news is so one sided, fox news is to conservative, cnn is to liberal, msnbc is a douche bag, teh daily show brinsg ti hard on both fronts and stays in teh middle, theyll criticize bush in one story,. and then turn around and criticize kerry in teh other, i knwo alot of people who are my age watch teh daily show, and if that gets us younger peopel to keep up on current events and get us interested in current events then theyre doing their job

Rainman
09-30-2004, 02:59 PM
<---- refer to avatar here or up here ^ depending on your layout.
I enjoy the Daily Show and for much the same reasons that Goat mentioned above.

The Daily Show themselves said it best. The vast majority of news shows either provide the left side, the right side, or both. Neither is going to provide the right answer. The extreme left isn't going to be right on all issues and neither is the extreme right. If you have both than you have both side yelling at each other and nothing is accomplished.

The ideal news program should be one that work toward the most reasonable median. If you think about it, having both sides yelling out there viewpoints is only going to polarize people and it certainly isn't going to arrive at any definite conclusion. Have you ever watched a show like Crossfire? At the end of the show, you wind up having not learned anything.

The news programs, in an attempt to be unbiased (if they try so at all), have decided that to just let both sides have equal time. Jon Stewart has repeatedly said that he believes this is wrong. News should act as a filter. It should be hard research and call out what is bull shit and what isn't. In effect, the news should be biased.... towards the facts. Opinions are one thing that news can do little to change. You're values tha you have at abou the time you reach adulthood will most likely stick with you for a good amount of your life. The media should filter out all the bullshit that comes from republicans and give you what amounts to the definite undisputable facts. It's then up to the viewer to determine what important to them and arrive at a conclusion.

That's what both Stewart and I believe needs to happen. Whatever, you can stick with your talk heads if you want.

Breaker
09-30-2004, 03:43 PM
http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=bill_oreilly

In his "Talking Points Memo" segment, he whined that "nearly everyday, there's something written on the Internet about me that's flat out untrue," continuing with his theory that "the reason these net people get away with all kinds of stuff is that they work for no one. They put stuff up with no restraints. This, of course, is dangerous..." Yeah, real dangerous Bill. Next thing you know, people will get the crazy idea that they have the right to express their opinions as they see fit.

Eckels
09-30-2004, 03:53 PM
I've never liked O'reilly, but I'm the stoned slacker to end all stoned slackers, and I love the daily show. So i can't say he's entirely wrong.
;)

BLONDINE
09-30-2004, 04:11 PM
HaHa...I don't think that the test is to accurate...I haven't been fallowing the election at all..jsut little things I over hear and I never get the chance to watch TV and I got 5 out of 6 right...hm...someting wrong with that....

Rainman
09-30-2004, 05:56 PM
http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=bill_oreilly

That's really awesome. :thumbsup:

Axel
09-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah, that's great.

Hey, Stewart referenced O'Reily again last night. "Uh, honestly I really thought you were all stoned slackers. Now that I know I feel sorta... intimidated...." And continued harrasing O'Reilly:
O'Reilly Factor Clip: "I think its impressive the president agreeing to appear on an interview with us like this."
Jon Stewart: "Yeah, its real impressive the President of the United States appearing on an interview with the most conservative network in the country...."
clip: "The President did not recieve the questions before hand nor were there any restrictions placed on what we could ask. Again, thats impressive."
Jon: "No, No its not. That's the minimum you can do and still call it an interview. Anything less is scripted."
Jon: "In his defense, however, O'Reilly did ask a few tough questions. And then immediately gave the President the answers."