PDA

View Full Version : Expos ARE going to Washington D.C.

phattonez
09-28-2004, 10:01 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040929/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_expos_washington

WASHINGTON - Major League Baseball has chosen Washington, D.C. as the new home of the Montreal Expos (news), a city official told The Associated Press.

The Expos would begin playing in Washington next year at RFK Stadium, the former home of the Washington Senators. The Nation's Capital has been without a team since the Senators left for Texas after the 1971 season.

The deal to move the Expos to Washington would be subject to government approval of funding for both a $13 million refurbishment of RFK Stadium and a new ballpark costing slightly over $400 million, which would be built along the Anacostia River in the southeast section of the city.

A move also must be approved by three-quarters of major league owners and survive legal challenges by the Expos' former limited partners and possibly by Baltimore owner Peter Angelos, who objects to having a team just 40 miles from the Orioles. Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, went to Baltimore on Friday to negotiate a compensation arrangement with Angelos.

The Orioles owner told The (Baltimore) Sun that he could be persuaded to drop his opposition if he could be assured that his team and the state of Maryland's investment in Oriole Park at Camden Yards could be protected.

"If those two goals can be accomplished, and I feel the franchise would be secure and the revenue stream is protected and the asset value is secure, it might be possible to make a deal," Angelos told The Sun for a story Tuesday.

After an announcement, the process of selling the Expos will start. A group that includes former Rangers partner Fred Malek has been seeking a Washington franchise for five years. In addition, several baseball officials have said in the past week that Stan Kasten, former president of the Atlanta Braves (news), Hawks and Thrashers, might be trying to assemble a group.

Kasten is close to baseball commissioner Bud Selig, which likely would be an advantage during the bidding process.

The original Washington Senators played 4,610 home games before becoming the Minnesota Twins (news) after the 1960 season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The expansion Senators played 883 home games before moving to Texas.

In the Senators' last game, on Sept. 30, 1971, they led the New York Yankees (news) 7-5 with two outs in the ninth inning when fans seeking souvenirs went on the RFK Stadium field, which could not be cleared. The Yankees wound up winning the game in a forfeit.

The Rangers retain ownership of the name "Washington Senators," baseball spokesman Carmine Tiso said after consulting with Ethan Orlinsky, a lawyer for Major League Baseball Properties, the sport's licensing division.

Montreal's last home game is scheduled for Wednesday night against Florida. Monday's series opener drew a crowd of 3,923 to Olympic Stadium.

What do you guys think?

Ganonator
09-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Figures. The Expos stink anyway, now they will be american. Kill 3 birds with 4 well placed stones.

Ibis, God of Magicks
09-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ. This is TERRIBLE news. ... For me anyway. I live in Virginia, and even though the Redskins are in DC, EVERYONE in the area is a skins fan. All season long I get skins shoved in my face from every angle (Of course, I'm a Raider fan, so that might hurt things too). I mean, when they announced that Gibbs was coming back, you would have thought it was the Second coming of Jesus Christ himself. Now that DC will have a Baseball team, I'll have to suffer through that as well.

Master Ghaleon
09-29-2004, 08:48 PM
I dont like this at all, its getting to crowded over here in MD with all these sports teams now.

Archibaldo
09-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Well, I for one think it's a good idea. Montreal can't support a professional baseball team, and the Expos suck. Every time I go to one of thier games they lose.

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Yay, not I can root for a good team (Atlanta) and a SHITTY TEAM!!! YAY FOR ME!
But seriously, unless the new manager (which they better get...) can turn the Expos around, I'll ignore them like I do the redskins cause I also live in VA.

Screw the Skins

redsoxgirl33
09-29-2004, 09:37 PM
HaHa... I'm glad they're in DC ... it will take away half of the stupid Baltimore fans... god i hate Baltimore. Did you hear that the taxpayers are going to pay for their new stadium? Way to go... the team that will represent America... i wouldn't pick to scrimmage my little 4th grade coach's pitch team.

Go Boston =D

phattonez
09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
That's how it happens with every team. It caused a lot of problems for Petco Park.

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-29-2004, 09:40 PM
HOLY SH...
Oh, sorry. I'm always shocked when I see red and sox in the same sentence. Braves and Baltimore fan...
All the expos r gonna do in DC is make money foir the fat democrats who r residing there so they can give money to... THEMSELVES...

Go Braves

redsoxgirl33
09-29-2004, 09:50 PM
that's how it always is... the government in general isn't out to help the American citizen.... it's out to make a buck.... that's how everyone is... it's kinda sad really...

But hey... i live in Charlotte ((20minutes from Bank of America Stadium)) and I guess you could say the Braves are my NL team. I've been to Turner Field a couple times. It's wicked nice. Hit me up if u wanna chat Hokie Fan.... aol JeNeLLo2005

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-29-2004, 09:55 PM
ok, I will, but don't get mad if i accidentaly insult red soxs. Not used to being nice to them.
I will never watch the Expos play in their new DC location, but I'm still excited. They may get a record for most losses in a season :surprise: :pimp:

King Link
09-30-2004, 12:10 AM
The Expos used to be a better team in the 1990s, but when they started to trade away all their great players, the fans were sick of it, and they decided not to attend the games. Then, when the Expos started to lose more and more, even fewer people attended the games.

It's too bad, but it's the way of the sports world.

AtmaWeapon
09-30-2004, 01:48 AM
But now it's an issue of national security. The Expos are going all the way next year baby!