PDA

View Full Version : Computer customization.

SSJ3500
09-26-2004, 06:50 PM
I just got a new laptop and I'm trying to costomize this thing with my own graphics and stuff. I've found ways to customize the welcome screen, load screen, and a few other things. The problem is that I don't have a way to save stuff as the format required, does any one know of any programs for making graphics for: Load screens, welcome screens, Winamp/Windows Media Player skins, Kazaa Skins, and cursors?

MrCow
09-26-2004, 06:52 PM
style xp has a way to do it, but you have to pay for it.

Pablo
09-27-2004, 12:35 AM
www.1001winampskins.com (http://www.1001winampskins.com/)

www.deviantart.com (http://www.deviantart.com/)

should be everything you need right there

EDIT: Oh wait, you wanted to make your own. Heh. I dunno about tutorials for those, but those 2 links have a lot of premade skins/cursors/etc.

Kairyu
09-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Y'know, last time I was at Borders, I saw a book with an address for some sites like that. The only one I remembered, though, was the Windows XP Powertoys page. If you haven't seen that yet, and you own Windows XP, do yourself a freaking huge favor and go to the Microsoft site. You should do that anyway for Windows Updates. Anyway, go to the XP page and check the "Powertoys" category. They're really nice, official third party programs to boost XP.

You'll want Tweak UI if you don't have it. That lets you fool around with plenty of secret options. Also, there's another Powertoy on a different page which lets you use Windows Media Player for your screensaver. It only uses WMP 9, though, so if you use 10, you'll have to uninstall 10 and install 9. I use Winamp anyway, so worked for me.

Anyway, I'd suggest you get a pad of paper and a pencil, go to Borders, find the "Windows XP for |\|00|3$" books or whatever they are, and look under any chapter with the word "customization" for websites. I KNOW I saw at least one free program designed to make startup and log on screens...

midnitebassist
09-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah, the Powertoys kick. I've got TweakUI, it's probably one of the coolest things on my computer. Actually...no. But still...i'd recommend it. I also like the Alt-Tab powertoy. That can get handy if you have a lot of similar programs running. So yeah...Go Powertoys!

*b*
09-27-2004, 03:06 PM
GIF Movie Gear can export normal cursors and animated cursors. and WindowBlinds has some cool XP themes, and I think most of them can be edited in paint, though I've only used one. Winamp skins can also be done in paint. I don't know about Kazaa skins, though