PDA

View Full Version : Monitor frequency effects Vsync

Hot Water Music
09-25-2004, 07:55 PM
This is a weird fact, but on my computer, the frequency rate can go to 75, and when it was on that, the Vsync syncs it into that rate. Anyone knew this?

ZTC
09-25-2004, 08:34 PM
yeah, just turn Vsync off, or swich to the large windowed mode

fatcatfan
09-26-2004, 04:38 PM
That's what vsync does... it syncs to the refresh rate of your monitor, to avoid "tearing".

Dark Nation
09-26-2004, 06:35 PM
This has been sort of fixed in the latest beta. Now, the screen buffer is updated 60 times a second and then sent to the screen at the next available vsync. This heeps the action at almost exactly 60 frames per second. Unfortunately, if you have a very low refresh rate on your monitor, the frame rate drops quite a bit (to about 30 or 40 on my OS X machine). So, at the moment, the wait for vsync is turned off, leaving the frame rate at 60 fps, but allowing for tearing. A better solution is being researched.

MottZilla
10-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Hey DN, did you ever add an option to ZC to enable triple buffering? I recently added that to my own game, got rid of all tearing for me which was still experienced when only using vsync.

Dark Nation
10-15-2004, 11:11 AM
I thought triple buffering only worked in pure DOS? Or maybe it only works in DOS if it is pure DOS (not a DOS session in Windows) and Windows works anyway? I'll have to look into it.

MottZilla
10-15-2004, 03:14 PM
My game (NGIV) is Win32 and tripple buffering seems to enable and work wonders.

Dark Nation
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Well, as I implied, I was only going on heresay and probably got my facts mixed up. I'll definitely look into it if I can keep my game going at 60 fps *and* have it avoid tearing.

MottZilla
10-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Just so you know, I was under the DOS only impression too but decided to try it anyway. It's very nice not to have tearing, although in ZC tearing is not very apparent unless switching screens or calling the sub screen since otherwise the background isn't moving. Also, as far as I know, once enabled, you cannot disable triple buffer until you restart the program and just don't enable it again.