PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Coming November 21st for $149.99

Radium
09-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Bundled with Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt and PictoChat :D Woohoo that's a GOOD deal! I'm gettin one in black ;)

Nintendo Press Release (http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=6a6f583d-1711-47be-b03c-d64d6bdd1d66&page=newsmain)

FACT SHEET

NINTENDO DSTM HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS

Launch Date and MSRP:
Nov. 21, 2004, in North America ($149.99)
Dec. 2, 2004, in Japan (¥15,000)
Q1 2005 in Europe and Australia

Size (when closed): 148.7 millimeters (5.85 inches) wide, 84.7 millimeters (3.33 inches) long, 28.9 millimeters (1.13 inches) tall

Top Screen: A backlit, 3-inch, semitransparent reflective TFT color LCD with 256 x 192 pixel resolution and .24 mm dot pitch, capable of displaying 260,000 colors

Touch Screen: Same specs as top screen, but with a transparent analog touch screen

Wireless Communication: IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary format; wireless range is 30 to 100 feet, depending on circumstances; multiple users can play multiplayer games using just one DS Game Card

Controls: Touch screen, embedded microphone for voice recognition, A/B/X/Y face buttons, plus control pad, L/R shoulder buttons, Start and Select buttons

Input/Output: Ports for both Nintendo DS Game Cards and Game Boy® Advance Game Paks, terminals for stereo headphones and microphone

Other features: Embedded PictoChat software that allows up to 16 users to chat at once; embedded real-time clock; date, time and alarm; touch-screen calibration

CPUs: One ARM9 and one ARM7

Sound: Stereo speakers providing virtual surround sound, depending on the software

Battery: Lithium ion battery delivering six to 10 hours of play on a four-hour charge, depending on use; power-saving sleep mode; AC adapter

Languages: English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian

Color: Silver and black

Warlock
09-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Where did you get that it comes w/ Metroid? I didn't see that anywhere in the article.

Radium
09-21-2004, 12:39 PM
www.ve3d.com said that. lol wasn't me!! *cough*

Warlock
09-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Heh, I hope it's true.

Radium
09-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Me too!! But it's still awesome that it's only $150!! that's better than the rumors of $199.

DarkDragoonX
09-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Awesome. I've been waiting for that thing. In my mind, the greatness of the DS stems from one single fact: stylus = mouse = portable RTS & portable FPS. We're going to be getting our FPS fix with Metroid, and you KNOW that eventually, someone will make an RTS as well.

vegeta1215
09-21-2004, 01:10 PM
I read from a Slashdot link that it is not the full version of Metroid Prime Hunters that comes with the DS, but a multiplayer demo. But Picto Chat is built in, so that's cool.

I don't know whether I'll buy one right away. I think the games will be really neat, and I want to support Nintendo since so many haters out there think the DS is going to be another Virtual Boy (and that the PSP is going to dominate the handheld market when it's released), but $150 is still a lot of money, esp when I just got a GBA SP this past December and I have car insurance and car payments to make each month. (not too mention I waited almost 2 years before buying a Nintendo Gamecube)

Radium
09-21-2004, 01:14 PM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/549/549979p1.html There's the article on ds.IGN... Sounds like it's the full game to me, no word from Nintendo just yet though ;)

Orion
09-21-2004, 01:16 PM
It comes with a demo of Hunters, not the entire game. Still a good deal though.

However, now that they released new pictures of the re-design, I think it still looks ugly for some reason. I don't know what it is about it, it just doesn't look as sleek.

vegeta1215
09-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Here's where I read about the Metroid demo: http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5631

UPDATE: Nintendo has also revealed that Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt is being bundled with the DS. First Hunt is a four-player demo, designed to show off the system's wireless multiplayer function. There is no single-player mode in the demo, but it is expected in the full version of Metroid Prime Hunters which will be released at a later date.

Radium
09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Durability is more important than sleekness in my opinion though, I like the design, it's not too bad. I'm sure it looks better in person too :D

MANDRAG GANON
09-21-2004, 02:35 PM
For crap sakes! I just bought a GBA and now they are coming out with a new handheld XD. Ah well I am excited about this though, I think it's going to be awesome. Definately gonna buy it.

Kairyu
09-21-2004, 07:51 PM
If this had come from any website other than Nintendo's, and I mean ANY, I seriously would not have believed it. It just seems... odd to me.

It comes out a month earlier in the U.S.... Costs about only 1.5 times the original GBA price... built-in wireless... Chargeable battery only (as opposed to AA's and AAA's)... embedded microphone (Wha?)... and it's the first Game Boy with built-in stereo.

Certainly beats what people thought the price was gonna be. I hadn't realized it was this close to being released, though- late November?

Radium
09-21-2004, 08:14 PM
A day after my birthday even ;D Nintendo always releases their best stuff that day ;)

Archibaldo
09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Im not sure but is the Nintendo DS an upgraded GameBoy? or is it a totally new system? I heard from someone that it's a whole new system and not even part of the GameBoy division. That's why it's called the Nintendo DS and not the GameBoy DS. Can anyone out there confirm or correct what I've heard?

Warlock
09-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Im not sure but is the Nintendo DS an upgraded GameBoy? or is it a totally new system? I heard from someone that it's a whole new system and not even part of the GameBoy division. That's why it's called the Nintendo DS and not the GameBoy DS. Can anyone out there confirm or correct what I've heard?

It's a whole new system but it can play Game Boy Advance games (I'm not sure about other older GB titles, it might only be Advance titles).

Orion
09-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm gettin one in black ;)

I think your a little out of luck there. I read that when the specs said "silver and black" that it meant just the one color scheme. The casing is silver. The buttons are black. I was kind of hoping for black to, but what are u gunna do? You know sooner or later Nintendo is gunna release every color of the rainbow somehow or another.

Pablo
09-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Eh, maybe I'll buy one when the price drops and it's got some good second- or third-party games. Have fun, though.

Radium
09-22-2004, 12:45 AM
AW bummer 'bout the silver and black. Black would be better because the screen would contrast more.