PDA

View Full Version : How're classes so far?

Rainman
09-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I guess most of you will have started some kind of schooling by now and had a week or two to size up the classes. How do you like'em so far?

Calculus/Physics

I put these together because so far they are virtually indistinguishable. We are going over essentially the same stuff. (vectors) We haven't gotten to deep into calculus yet in Calculus class yet. I'm having only a little bit of trouble because some of the concepts because, while they are simple, they weren't covered at all in high school. Physics has been just as easy because, as I said, the two classes are starting out the same. Homework isn't hard yet and it's only once a week for either class. The only tough problems are ones that are worded so weird that I"m confused as to what the fuck they are talking about.

Psychology

Easy enough so far. There is only 4 exams which can be good or bad, but no final. However, I'm going to have to participate in a human research project (as a subject). It's an elective course and I find it fairly interesting. I briefly considered becoming a psychologist a few years ago, but that quickly died.

Chemistry

Pretty good so far. I haven't done chemistry since 11th grade, but I still remember much of the concepts. There's not that much required homework and it's taught well.

Engineering Analysis

My first engineering related class and it couldn't be easier. Most of the things we'll cover this year I either already know well or it's an easy concept for me to understand. It's gotten boring at times as I "learn" Excel for the 3rd time in my education career. I just got done learning how to do things on a unix system which is cool. Next up is a HTML unit which undoubtedly bore me to tears or a least a nap.

Professors

My professors this year seem to be cool for the most part. My chemistry teachers is probably the best one. Engineering anaysis' professor is an Indian (not native american) and seems to be a good teacher all though, as I've stated, his class has been pretty boring so far. My physics professor is a good guy as well and always seems in a good mood to be doing physics which helps me immeasurably. The psychology professor is about as entertaining as the chemistry professor, but his subject as not as material heavy so I tend to enjoy his classes. The only professor that I'm not enjoying isn't even the one I'm supposed to have. He's stepping in for another professor who's having visa problems. He doesn't really know how to teach it seems and he leaves me sometimes more confused about the material than before he discussed it.

Schedule

I've got 24 hours worth of class time spread out unevenly from monday to friday. It thankfully a bit lighter near the end of the week. Not all the 24 hours is actual lectures. Some are recitations which are either study time for a particulur class, a time to go over homework before turning it in, or quiz time. I've been mostly good about making classes, but I missed a chemistry class yesterday morning on "accident" That was a good breakfast though.

plith
09-14-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm still in high school, and my courses will probably wind up killing me.

Calculus: I've been at the top of all my math classes since Freshman year. The concept isn't really all that hard. But I got a few hours of homework the first night. All easy enough questions, but way too many. I'm gonna be up late again tonight just to get this subject done with.

Physics: Can't say much about it. Haven't had any real homework yet, and we haven't exactly gone over anything too earth-shattering in class, either. I am told, however, that it is the single hardest course in the whole school, so I'm holding my breath.

Statistics: The baby AP course. So far, all he's done is make us watch videos and give us some light homework. Which is funny, since it's the same teacher as in my calculus class.

French: I haven't quite figured out yet whether this will be as easy for me as it has been the past two years. It's a pretty ridiculous class in some respects... like using a seventh/eighth-grade French vocabulary to describe second-grade subjects... or something.

English: It's the same as any other English class has ever been.

Theology: Yes, they make us take this stuff. It's one of those Catholic schools. My teacher's insane. Just one of those characters... We talk about God... and stuff.

biggiy05
09-14-2004, 04:57 PM
3 classes baby it rocks :D

Agri Business 4/FFA- Easy class we have to make picnic tables for the patio cuz the lunch rooms are packed but ppl screw shit up so its taken longer than it should.

Gov't- Love it my teacher Mr. Dufford is cool we take notes and thats it but he is a funny teacher and he is what is gonna get me out of my classes so I can help decorate for homecoming.

English 12a- Sucks ass! The teacher is a pain in the ass and dishes out homework in bucket fulls every nite, and she has a really annoying voice. After those three classes I go home for a bit then go to work.

vegeta1215
09-14-2004, 05:38 PM
I've only had each of my classes once, but so far Software Engineering and Database Management seem like they'll be the same as the courses I took as an undergrad, and be pretty boring. (and probably pretty easy too, which I can't complain about).

I'm really excited about my TCP/IP class though. My teacher is a young guy, but really energetic and interesting to listen to. So far he has explained things very cleary and uses easy to understand analogies to convey the topics we're learning about.

slef
09-14-2004, 05:44 PM
ah yes, evil school

geometry: not that hard, except I dont really pay attention so I miss how to do some stuff
English:hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate cant stand grammar
drama3: best class ever. getting ready for the musical. were doing fiddler on the roof
ap history: probably my favorite class, the teacher makes it extremely hard but fun at the same time.
desktop publishing: your normal learn nothing crap computer class.
chemistry: becoming increasingly difficult, im not a big science person
choir: my first year singing so this isnt going so well. really bad at everything but I like it anyway

Yoshiman
09-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Biology- Easy. The teacher is one of the nicest ones I've ever had. She doesn't give us too much homework. The tests are really simple if you pay attention.

Art and Design- Durr... You'd have to be extremely lazy to fail this class. All you really do is draw.

Algebra- Ugh... Hate it. Algemabra make krunk's head go owie. The teacher gives us around 100 problems a night. I'm not exagerrating, either.

Phys Ed.- Another simple class. As long as you're not laying around and have good sportsmanship, the class is a given 'A'.

Spanish 1 Part 2- A so-so class. There are days when I don't want to go. Other days I don't really mind. There's usually a good amount of classwork, but the teacher doesn't give too much homework. There are days at the end of each chapter that our teacher will let us watch a movie (In Spanish, of course).

Communications1 (Television)- Simple. All we've done so far was write vocabulary in our notebooks. Tomorrow, I believe we're going to start using the TV cameras and other equipment.

History- I'm not really sure... we haven't done any graded assignments yet. All we've been doing is taking notes. Our teacher says we're going to have to write a big essay soon...

English- Easy. Vocabulary and writing. Not much to say. A pretty bland class.

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Mine (9th grade)
History- Its okay. Teacher is ex-redskin, so theres somethin to talk about. orta boring, lots of maps. *yawn*
Music Theory- My specialty center class. Had to audition to get into the class... Pretty cool, just got instroment, so haven't done much. The song I'm writing (Black Smith) is beastin...
German II- Blech. Das ist zu blod.(how do u do umlauts?). I hace to mein Nametag. It sux.
Band- *Yawn* Just playing my Bass Clarinet and BEASTIN up the oposing band students. Even though they don't oppose much :D.
English- The best class ever. Half of my friends are in it. Just goof around, do clemson notes (i hate clemson so much now...) and reading a seperate peace, the biggest piece of shit in the world. OMG.
Geometry- OMG. WTF? It's the hardest crap ever. All kinds of formulas and stuff. I hate this class so much.
Science- Gay. Gay gay gay gay gay. Sux so much, I'm gettin pwned in bordom. *Yawn*Almost fell asleep

Brasel
09-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm taking one class this year. Its a computer networking class for tactical warfare and communications. Its really kind of neat. It was only a couple weeks long though, but hell, only a couple weeks and I get college credits and promotion points.

As you may have guessed, its not for college, its for the U.S. Army. They pay to send me to classes and when I get back from Iraq, they'll pay to send me to college. Sounds good to me.

All I can say is, no matter how bad the classes seem or how hard, stay in school and don't drop out. Treasure your years as a student and soak up as much information you can so you can get your degree and graduate. I'm kicking myself for dropping out and signing the dotted line. I'm proud, but I still regret what I've done to an extent.

Rijuhn
09-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Classes this semester for me are going smoothly, almost like butter. I have good teachers, which definately helps, and I've grown up a lot recently and I've been going to the same college for 2 years now, so I know my way around and stuff. I wish all semester were this productive.

Artex
09-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Bio - omg, I hate sciencez.....HATE (this is my second time around, and I soooo wish I woulda payed attention first time)
English - I'm stationed with a bunch of idiots, but I'm LOVING the class.
Gov/Law - ....BORING....way too much homework for such a simple subject too.
Math - Easy enough, boring, but easy.
Econ/Geography - Maps??? ....this is the only one that beats Bio in suckage.
Painting 1 - This is fun shit, lol.....but I swear to god the paints smell like ass.
.....eh, they're going. I do have to say that I am very happy with my teachers, the majority of them are nice, and the ones that aren't....well, they STILL give good lectures and such. Easy classes though I do have, I get alot of homework 'cause I slacked off alot last year.....Speaking of which, I should be doing my homework now.....but since AGN is so awesome, I'll stick around for awhile..... -_- (meh loves procrastination)

Ich
09-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Physics II AP is not that bad yet. It's been review so far, but I like physics because it all is perfectly logical and sensible.

German is only two periods per week this year, so I've only had three classes, since they're Monday/Friday. It's German, so it's always fun.

Sociology is also very good. I really like the teacher (I had him back in 9th grade, and have been looking ahead all of 10th and 11th grade to this class) and it's pretty easy and sensible.

Gym is not normally worth mention, but a scheduling problem put me in a class that is roughly 95% ninth graders. I love it, because there's a cute girl who is also a senior, so we often spend the whole class together, just because ninth graders aren't even wroth bothering talking to.

Open Campus is directly next to lunch, so I get a 90 minutes (double) lunch where I can go home and eat home food or that shit, and I love that as well, although I accomplish less work.

English isn't that bad. We're supposed to be getting hit pretty hard with research papers in the rest of the year, but it's currently pretty easy. I should probably be reading Beowulf though.

Government is awesome. The teacher is the complete opposite of Soc politically (a hardcore liberal, maybe a closet libertarian), plus everyone else in my class is asleep politically except for one kid who sits next to me.

[b]Calculus is going to be a bitch, but I'm not in the honors class so it should be easier to keep up my GPA to keep open campus. It's not been bad so far.

richie
09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
German, History : Boring teacher, mates are OK.
Music : The others can't sing! Annoying.
Maths : Only boy in class. Nice.
Geography : Teacher is a good friend of mine. Still don't know all pupils.
Chemistry : All my friends in one course. Great!
Physics : Stupid teacher. Tells wrong formulas. Don't know other pupils.
Biology : It's like an art course. Nice lessons for relaxing.
English : I don't know all of the others.
French : Bad teacher,stupid students.

I hope I didn't forget a course.
All in all, Mr. Linde (counsellor) put the right persons together.

moocow
09-15-2004, 03:36 PM
I really want to go back to school :( I'm trying to find someone who will apprentice me in Photography, but no such luck so far. So I'm going to eventually go back to school, and since the local campus doesn't have Photography, I'll probably take Journalism... I won't be able to go away for school for a year, now. *sigh*

BLONDINE
09-15-2004, 05:31 PM
In all of my classes I have at least one of my REALLY close friends so classes are always interesting...slightly challenging...but FUN!!!..10th grade will be fun!

History : all my friends are in it...and the teacher is funny..so I like the class..go figure...most boring course is one of the best this year!
Hons Algebra 2: it is ok...the teacher is pretty dry but I get math really well so I will be ok...
Hons. Chemistry : I love this class...I never realized how much fun Chem is...plus I got a few friends in there and the teacher is really decent!!
Hons. Biology : This course has to be that hardest course I am going to take my entire high school career!!! My final is a 3/4 inch essay on WETLANDS!! who has that much time to think of a final that freakin big!!!But the teacher is really cool...like he is OVERLY sarcastic and makes fun of people(and me) in class..makes is fun to be in!
English : I don't do anything in that class...sit there and dick around with my friends pretending to listen...REALLY EASY!!!
French : I hate french!! it is easy when I study but I just don't like it!!!
Carpentry:...HaHaHa....I love this class...we actually go out and build a house that after 2 years we sell to a family...it is pretty fun..minus of course I am the only girl taking the carpentry unit and constantly being either hit on or laughed at because I am week...it is fun though!!!
Health: I right papers on sex and manners..then I run...not much to say...

Manny
09-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Well things are going...
Elements College Math
Your typical college math course. Cept the professor is a total nut. he expects all work done on calculators and he has a TI-83 and I havea TI-89. i don't understand most classes. yeah. i hate math.
Chemistry and the Enviornment
While appearing to be an interesting course, its not really. the material the professor covers is kinda cool, but its lecture fro 50 minutes straight. it's stilll an okay course though.
Economics
The professor is really good and she teaches the course really well. Unfortunatly i'm not too into economics and i find the material rather boring.
Philosophy
Why this? why that? why i am me? why is this that? why why? It's all rather monotonus and boring. and the professor gets wayyyy to into. I'm like calm down there lady, you're having a lil too much fun.
Critical Reading and Writing
My favorite course. simply cos I love creative writing and my professor is all about it. She totally encourages it and she is all about. definatly a really cool and young professor. lots of fun indeed.

I'm known as the campus bum cos i generally hang around campus. I have a long break between classes and I'll chill outside. I'll see friends come and go betwen classes and they'll be like "the hell dude? you're still here?" haha.
Defintaly a tough schedule with midnight-7am shifts thrown in at work.
god how i need to travel again...
-manny

Aranda
09-15-2004, 06:51 PM
I LOVE IT! I do. I do. I do. Pine Creek High School is so cool!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Geometry- 98.9... Seriously I didn't know drawing circles and squares was this easy.
+we got 11 kids in their" I'm the only male... I'm such a ladies man too... ;)

Astronomy- TO MUCH MATH... I'm surprised I manage to get an A!

Earth Science- Highest Grade "Entirely freshman course and I'm the only sophmore"
I've a got 110% "we can get up to 50pts extra on projects."

Teacher Aid- I get to leave 45 minutes early after I'm finished for the day doing classroom chores.

World Studies- "english and world history combined." I've got a C- sense the grades average.
English part...
I HATE ENGLISH! :mad: :angry: :banghead: :mad2: :bomb: :ootp: :sb: I've got 4% "And yes I've turned everything in!
World history part: B I'm a history and science nut OH BOY!

Enviromental Studies 1- Screw The Enviroment. F

Brasel
09-16-2004, 04:53 PM
I hate to be a dick, Aranda, but how the hell do you get a 4% in High School English? Have you payed any attention to any English class ever since you've been going to school?

Rainman
09-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I agree with anthony. I got good grades in english just by paying attention in class and doing all homework at the last possible minute.

-=NEWS FLASH=-
Paying attention in class leads to better grades!!!!
----------------------

Goat
09-16-2004, 08:51 PM
I started my new quarter on monday, im taking 13 credits this quarter, which is 4 classes, each class ive only had twice so far, so i dont really ahve a fully developed opinion of them yet, but...

English Comp III
My teacher seems really cool, i hated my comp II teacher, she was so boring, this teacher seems cool, she does a lot of fun shit liek with music and groups and is basically just making learning the shit fun

Math 113
*snore* I cant believe i have to pay $300 for a 2 hour fucking nap!

US History I
My major is history so i love anything and everything about history, not as big a big fan of us history as i am of qorld history, but ill enjoy this class

Western Civ II
Teacher seems kinda goofy but i think ill enjoy this class the most

Archibaldo
09-16-2004, 09:02 PM
My classes are pretty fun, some of them are quite boring though. (History, :sleep: )
My classes:
Physical Sience Advanced
Math
Language Arts Advanced
French (surprisingly fun)
Digital Media
Physical Education
History