PDA

View Full Version : James Quest 1: Is it possible?

Nightmare
09-11-2004, 09:50 AM
I have made it through the tough beginning to Lv. 5 with 0 games. I am attempting to make a run to 0-game the quest and would only be the second person next to TSA to do it.

I'll keep 'ya posted.

-James

Cepat
09-11-2004, 12:09 PM
If you're playing in cheat mode, you can have 0 deaths :D

Nightmare
09-12-2004, 12:55 AM
The point is, I'm not.

-James

Cepat
09-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Which is certainly hard to believe, since there's no evidence to physically explain how you manage to clear levels one to five without dying :D
Even if a player plays carefully, there is bound to be deaths from any transitionary point between one level to the next :)
So I just can't fathom how on earth you manage to achieve that, considering the extreme difficulty of the quest :laughing:
Just want to clarify that I'm only criticising the quest playability that's all ;)

Nightmare
09-13-2004, 01:58 AM
Cepat: It's friggin' hard, I should know, I created the quest.

The best hope I can say:
1. Stay patient.
2. Be ready to hit the Retry Button
3. Keep 2 potions at all times
4. Know how to kill every enemy inside and out.
5. Beat the quest once to know the layout of every dungeon.
6. Don't try to beat the dungeons in one try. Easy way to die out.

Still, it's long and hard. I'm at like 5 hours of registered gameplay and 10 thrown out just because "it wasn't good enough"

-James

Cepat
09-13-2004, 02:21 AM
Well anyone can design insanely hard quests & add whatever they like, but the point is there's no appeal to the quest. Just telling us how you're able to beat the quest without any deaths from Lvl 1 to 5 is really no big deal :)
If you come up with a quest that you have invested a lot of time in the design aspect, where people will say "WOW", that will be very impressive :D
You'll get tons of raving reviews I can bet ;)

Nightmare
09-13-2004, 04:19 AM
Cepat, I'm going to strike at your n00bishness a little bit here....

News flash: James Quest 1 has been around for at least 2 years. It's a hard quest, but a good one as well.

-James

Cepat
09-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Nightmare, I'm not a n00bie & I've been here around the same time.

At that time, your quest was good then but now it's just plain boring.

Maybe it's time you do some research before you call me a n00bie.

torquate
09-13-2004, 11:34 AM
It's a great quest.

David
09-13-2004, 01:07 PM
I am doing the same thing as Nightmare, except I try that with every quest I play. If I do die I just hit F7 to reset and try again.

Nightmare
09-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Nightmare, I'm not a n00bie & I've been here around the same time.

At that time, your quest was good then but now it's just plain boring.

Maybe it's time you do some research before you call me a n00bie.

Your join Date: Feb. 2004.
My join date: March 2000.

You joined over two years after the release of James Quest 1, so you really wouldn't realize it at the time.

6 months is still relatively new, and it seems you don't post much either.

You're not a first post n00b, but a n00b nonetheless. You're still not privy to the history and quests of Zelda Classic. I've been there beta-testing with PM since the beginning (before these forums even existed).

Just thought I'd point that out.

-James

Cepat
09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
So what's the deal about looking at my join date? You didn't even do your research well at all & it kinda sux to have to remind you last time of our feud at ZCN over your quest.

I also dislike reminding you I'm the one who gave you the poor rating for your two quests at PureZC (with good justification why they deserve those ratings) & this makes me a n00b?

Give me a break please, you should be focusing on your quest & see how you can make it more playable, instead of just calling me a n00b. Just telling us how you were the earliest beta tester isn't that all impressive & shows how boastful you are.

Even if you really are a good quest maker, there are tons of excellent quest makers who don't boast their works & at least their quests are within the framework of reasonable playability.

Anyway, I'll stop arguging with you since you're likely to rebutt every point I made & this could result in a flame war. It's also pointless & waste of time talking to someone who doesn't even appreciate criticism.

I rest my case.

Freedom
09-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Nightmare,

A persons join date isn't a very reliable way to judge the length of time a person has been around.
Remember when AGN went down for that extended period back in.... what? 99 or 2000?
I was here before that, look at my join date.
The first program I grabbed was the 1.84, there were no betas back then, when I got it, it was fresh.

Joe
09-13-2004, 10:35 PM
I enjoyed this quest as well as Wizard and New Quest very much, thanks.

However...

2. Be ready to hit the Retry Button

-JamesWhile not exactly a cheat code; we are kind of splitting hairs here… aren't we?

Thanks - Joe

Nightmare
09-13-2004, 11:55 PM
I enjoyed this quest as well as Wizard and New Quest very much, thanks.

However...

While not exactly a cheat code; we are kind of splitting hairs here… aren't we?

Thanks - Joe

Yeah, but it technically is legal, so it can't be argued.

Thanks a lot dude.

(BTW Joe, if you have AIM get in touch. I've always wanted to speak to you. nWoWhammy94)

And Cepat: I can 0-game the First Quest. I can 0-game the Second Quest. I can 0-game New Quest WITH EASE. A person's level of playability depends on the person, not how the quest is designed. There are some broken quests, but if I put my mind to it, I can 0-game anything. It's not my fault if you can't defeat a Blue Darknut by now, and if you have been playing ZC since it came out and the original Zelda, that's honestly quite hard to believe. Ever since the Genesis people have been making games easier making players in general more lazy. I'm an old-school gamer, and there are more out there. Honestly, if I don't see bugs in most custom quests (especially PureZC-types), I'm through in 10 games. That's kind of sad. A quest should be made to take 100 games to beat, as that's what it took me to get through the Zelda's the first time. I don't want to get into a flamewar with you either, but you seem to be semi-ignorant to the fact that just because you can't play it other people cannot. The only true way to solve this is difficulty levels, which is impossible in Zelda Classic.

EDIT: Just for your information, the James Quests were indeed tested and played by myself and beta testers. They are confirmed playable. So don't blame me for the fact they're unplayable. I thought I told you this before, but if you didn't know, now you do.

I'll rest my case there.

-James

Foxx
09-14-2004, 01:49 PM
A quest should be made to take 100 games to beat, as that's what it took me to get through the Zelda's the first time.
Okay, I'm with the old-school way of thought, in that I don't think quests should be made so that you can blow through them without resistance, but I think this is a little bit much. A lot of the fun is in the challenge provided by the action, but getting tossed back to the beginning of a long level time and time again only makes me want to punch things in my room.

The ideal difficulty of a quest, in my opinion, should take between 25 and 65 games, depending. Also, the difficulty is very heavily influenced by how you play. If you come into dungeons with all the supplies you need, and play patiently, not intending to knock each level out in one punch, you can bring your game total for a quest from, say, 90 down to about 30. (On this principle, I have played through the original first and second quests on the NES with zero deaths. Once.)

As a more specific example, the first time I played through to the end of Phantom Menace's original demo quest, it took me 119 deaths. I decided to play it again recently (which was rather fortunate with Nightmare releasing his updated version), and going as far as the original demo quest went, took me only 46 games.

Nightmare
09-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Okay, I'm with the old-school way of thought, in that I don't think quests should be made so that you can blow through them without resistance, but I think this is a little bit much. A lot of the fun is in the challenge provided by the action, but getting tossed back to the beginning of a long level time and time again only makes me want to punch things in my room.

The ideal difficulty of a quest, in my opinion, should take between 25 and 65 games, depending. Also, the difficulty is very heavily influenced by how you play. If you come into dungeons with all the supplies you need, and play patiently, not intending to knock each level out in one punch, you can bring your game total for a quest from, say, 90 down to about 30. (On this principle, I have played through the original first and second quests on the NES with zero deaths. Once.)

As a more specific example, the first time I played through to the end of Phantom Menace's original demo quest, it took me 119 deaths. I decided to play it again recently (which was rather fortunate with Nightmare releasing his updated version), and going as far as the original demo quest went, took me only 46 games.

That's to be naturally expected Foxx. There are times where I too get angry, but when you finally beat it that it's worth it. You feel like you accomplished something.

-James