PDA

View Full Version : Marfan's Syndrome.

Rainman
09-09-2004, 01:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfan_syndrome

Just an interesting thing that's been going on lately. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago to get a physical for college. He decided, like a few doctors in the past, to check to see if I had Marfan's Syndrome (details above). I have a few features that indicate I might have it. I'm tall for one thing, but so are many people. I have wider-than-my-height wingspan. (6'4" wingspan, 6'2" height. My theory is that I'm probably still growing.) I have a "high cleft pallette" whiche is a fancy term for a high roof to my mouth. Oddly enough my mom says that my dad has the same thing though he clearly doesn't have Marfan's.

Anyways, these all are just signs that I might have it. The only way to find out for sure is to get an echocardiogram. This is where they put goo on my chest and do an ultrasound on my heart. I got this done and then had to wait a few couple weeks to find out the results. My mom called yesterday and told me that my heart was OK.

So, I don't have Marfan's syndrome apparently, but I do have a good number of the bizarre features that comes with it. I'm not sure whether to feel relieved or like a freak.

No real point other than to relay an interesting story.

Glitch
09-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Osama bin Laden is also rumored to have Marfan syndrome.

Congratz on not having it.

slothman
09-09-2004, 03:14 AM
How is it that that is a disease and not a trait. Is blue eyes now a disease? Or left-handedness, or intelligence?

Rainman
09-09-2004, 02:47 PM
I don't believe that the article calls it a disease if it does than it's probably incorrect. It refers to it as either a "disorder" or "syndrome" Both are trait based. In particular, Marfan's affects the connective tissue.

BTW, this syndrome is more than just superficial. It can cause premature death from an aortic aneurysm. If I had this, I wouldn't be able to participate in any contact sports for fear of causing this. I've seen via a search several people who died at a relatively young age from this. I had reason for concern.

moocow
09-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Don't you play soccer or something? I don't remember :P But, thankfully, you don't have it. That's always good to hear.

JayeM
09-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Um, wingspan? I didn't know you had wings...that is a fairly unusual trait.

Rainman
09-09-2004, 11:53 PM
What can I say? I'm a freak.

slef
09-10-2004, 06:50 PM
good thing you dont have it. yey for being able to play sports.

What can I say? I'm a freak.

as one of my friends says all the time, I'd rather be a freak than a woman :D