PDA

View Full Version : Natural Disasters

Fairy
09-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Is anyone from Florida? I was just wandering if anyone had any comments about all the hurricanes that have been hitting and what you think the probabilty of ivan hitting this weekend would be?

Does anyone have any storys about weather they would like to share? Or any extreme fears of any other kind of natural disasters?

I hate tornadoes they freak me out thats the only major thing we have around here.

Deviance
09-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Well I have a comment. The so called hurricane trackers can't predict the paths. And for whoever lives in Florida, Hope you are safe.

deathbyhokie
09-07-2004, 12:15 AM
eh, hurricanes effect far more than florida. like richmond, va, which had the remanants of gaston dump 14 inches of rain last sunday. flooded a good portion of the city

moocow
09-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah, the hurricanes effect pretty much most of, if not all of, the east coast. We're supposed to be getting rain from it too, and I'm in Ohio. 'Least that's what our weather man said, dunno how well you can trust someone that's overly obsessed with his dog...

Mercy
09-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Meh, there was a bit of wind. I live in the predicted paths of Charley and Frances and was not impressed by the local effects. But we were lucky and I do not mean to downplay the destruction both storms caused on each coast. Being originally from South Florida I did get some good entertainment out of watching Central Floridians running around like headless teletubbies during preparations and immediately after both storms. Frances was especially amusing since folks were still riled up from Charley. One thing I have learned after almost three decades in Florida is that hurricanes never stay on the paths predicted before the storms pass Cuba. Ever. Andrew was supposed to roll right through my town and missed. Both of these storms missed. If you want to survive a hurricane, go to where the meteorologists say it will go and you will be fine.

m.

Rainman
09-07-2004, 01:01 AM
*sigh* We'll probably get rain again. That's thankfully the most extreme effect from hurricanes we have.

Xyvol
09-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Well, I don't know anything about hurricanes, but my state has earthquakes and fires. Sometimes the latter is caused by the former, but most of the time the state just likes to burn down. Luckily I live in an area that has pretty solid ground, so earthquakes aren't a problem for me. But there are a lot of dry weeds in these foothills, so fires are a constant concern.

camstuf
09-07-2004, 02:07 AM
I think Frances' predictions were pretty on point.
Durring Hurricane (or TS?) Allison a few years back in Houston, tractor trailers were floating down the I-10;
once I was able to drive out of my neighborhood,
I had to take an alternate route to work for a week due to high water.

Quakes not so long...
I was in LA for the Northridge quake and excluding after shocks, its over in a few minutes.

Pangolin
09-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Here in dear old England the worst we get are 10ft walls of waterm and flooding in Kent. Thank god I dont live there. Anyway, We get the tail end of the hurricanes so rain and stuff. You Americans can keep them, I dont wanna share!!

hellebeest
09-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Just lots a rain and sometimes wind here just across England, the Netherlands.
I can recall a storm in 91 or 92, kids had to grab hold onto a bridge while their legs where pulled up into the air.
I remeber this clearly since I jumped about 4-5 metres, while I just wanted to jump over a puddle of water, and landed in the bushes.

AsMadAsAHatter
09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Well, I don't know anything about hurricanes, but my state has earthquakes and fires. Sometimes the latter is caused by the former, but most of the time the state just likes to burn down. Luckily I live in an area that has pretty solid ground, so earthquakes aren't a problem for me. But there are a lot of dry weeds in these foothills, so fires are a constant concern.

Yeah California has a lot of fires, mostly wild fires but sometimes stupid people start them. There was a really bad fire in Oakland in 91. My sister was just born premature at Children's Hospital in Oakland, she had a hole in her heart and she has only one kidney. And at the same time there was that horrible fire in Oakland, when you drive on the freeway it still doesn't look the same, there's still burnt down trees and the hill is very bare. Oh yes and don't worry my sister is fine now, if you weren't told about her story you would never think. She's as healthy as a horse. Earthquakes happen too, but i don't think a really bad one has happened since 89.

Xyvol
09-08-2004, 01:34 AM
There was that huge fire down in San Diego last year. A few of my friends live down there and had to deal with it. They didn't have to evacuate like some in the area, but the smoke from it was pretty bad. Luckily earthquakes don't happen very often. I've only been in two personaly, one in grade school and one in High School. The big bay area quake I didn't even feel here.

Saw a picture in the paper today a road in Florida after the hurricane. It was all cracked and torn to peices. That's pretty bad. I hope for the best for the people who live down there, especialy when there may be another storm on the way. The worst storms we get here have a little bit of wind that may knock an old tree over, a little bit of flooding if there was a lot of snow fall in the mountains, and blizzards in the Sierra's during the winter.

ZTC
09-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Huh, reminds me of something that happened here in Illinois(sp?) a number of months ago-
an earthquake; never been through one, so it was a 'new experience'.
Just layin in the bed at the middle of the night, everything starts shaking. After a few minutes, it stopped. I say the least, I was freaked out :scared: , then I went back to sleep :lol: