PDA

View Full Version : Legal issues

diddykongcarne
09-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Is Zelda Classic fully legal? has it been certified by Nintendo or is it only legal to play other people's quests not the one by Nintendo.

Because by law you aren't allowed download a rom which you don't own and have it for more than 24 hours. Clones are legal, but they can't have the same name of copyrighted material.

??? I'm confused

Kairyu
09-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Is Zelda Classic fully legal? has it been certified by Nintendo or is it only legal to play other people's quests not the one by Nintendo.

Because by law you aren't allowed download a rom which you don't own and have it for more than 24 hours. Clones are legal, but they can't have the same name of copyrighted material.

??? I'm confused

1: It's one of those grey-area things. It's probably NOT, but it's really not an issue yet, since Nintendo already knows of it and has yet to take any action against it.

You can't download ROMs. PERIOD. It doesn't matter jack shoot whether or not you own the game or how long you keep it on your hard drive. It's just as illegal. Even if you made your own ROM from your own game, it'd be considered an archive copy, which, if you bother to read manuals, you know is also illegal in this case.

Clones, I'm not as certain about, but I'm pretty sure that you'd need more than just a name change to get away with anything.

There's some more about this in the topic "Cease & Desist" found on this page. Check it.

Dart Zaidyer
09-06-2004, 08:38 PM
ZC is not a ROM. A ROM is a direct copy of a game cartridge, lock stock and barrel. ZC is created from the ground up out of scratch to resemble the original Legend of Zelda.

Nintendo's not going to sue you for having ZC. The worst they can do is say "stop using our trademarks in your game".