PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Invisible War.

ShadowTiger
09-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Deus Ex: Invisible War

While I'm still on my Gamers High from conquering this magnifacent game series, or what currently exists of it at that, (As there may be yet another sequel, hopefully.) I should write this to show my maximum enthusiasm for DEIW that it truly deserves.

For those of you who enjoy either reading a good book or playing a good game with an amazing plot, the Deus Ex series will do more for you than your most enjoyed book or game you've ever read or played. The plot on either game is so involving, so dramatic, and so mysterious that you will not want to stop playing. It's taking the term "addiction" to a whole new level here, people. From the moment you enter the game to the time you can finally sit back in your chair and exhale for the first time in hours, if not days, you'll be glued to your chair, trying to see what happens next in the plot. And for those of you who haven't played the first game, it just makes things more interesting, as you can find out for yourself what had happened, and won't be influenced by the first game's politics. That's right folks, it's an invisible sequel. You won't know it until it happens. ;) And if you have played the first game, the feelings of nastalgia are overwhelming, particularly in the final area of the game. I'm not saying anything more than that, lest I spoil something quite dramatic.

The plot is arranged in a series of "trusts," where you can join up with one of two or three organizations with completely different goals. (This is about 2/5 through the game, and later, 4/5ths.) Each has different missions you can do, which are usually tied in to the same person, object, or location. For example, one faction may require you to interview someone, while another may ask you to kill the person. Sounds simple, right? But the paths are alarmingly unique through out the game.

Much like the prequel to DEIW, there are four major ways of getting around in the world. 1) Stealth. Stealth is a very important part of the game. You would be surprised how much combat you can bypass merely by being stealthy. Such stealthy operation includes searching over and under things for "softkeys," the basic keyring you have, looking for codes for doors in datacubes, and last but certainly not least, running through ventilation shafts. You will find many ventilation shafts in DEIW, and all of them have their uses. Sometimes it may not be obvious to you at the beginning, but as you explore further, their uses will become apparent to you, and you will be very glad that they exist. 2) If you cannot perform as stealthily as you may wish, you may use multitools (Nanobot charged lockpicks) to open virtually anything for you, assuming you have enough of them to do it. You will very rarely need a multitool in the game, (Except for unlocking boxes or lockers.) as there will very likely be a stealthy workaround. 3) Open faced combat. There are many ways of destruction you can cause, including both killing, and simply rendering people unconscious or stunned. Instead of disabling turrets with a multitool, or logging on to a security console to disable them, you can take them out from afar with a concussion grenade, an EMP grenade, or even a rocket launcher. There are hundreds of possibilities. 4) Bribery. You can bribe some people for access codes to places, which make things a bit easier. Unlike in the first game, credits are much easier to come by. They may seem scarce to you at times, but I managed to purchase many things, and still end up with roughly 7,500 credits remaining. (Just don't bother with Sid Black, the Harrier Jet pilot. He charges 500+ for his services, but takes you right into the action. The other pilot in the WTO Air Terminal is always free, but more boring.)

As you can see, there are a veritable myriad of ways to play. You can take whatever approach you see as being the most enjoyable. Just know that whatever choice you take in the game, it will have its advantages and disadvantages.

I really can't force you to buy DEIW, nor can I give you free copies of it to enjoy yourselves. All I can do is assure you that DEIW and its prequel are two of the finest games to have ever been produced. You may be skeptical, but that will only be limiting your enjoyment of the series considerably. The game is only about $20 in most locations, and I have seen its prequel for $7 at the same places. Personally, the game should be worth $60 in my book for the value you get. If I had known how good it would have been at that price, I would have purchased it, with it being the only game with a $60 price tag that I would even consider buying. Go. Go now! Get Deus Ex Invisible War! (And its prequel if you don't already have it.) Each copy you buy is a vote to make more of the same games! Tell the world that you enjoyed it!

Make Deus Ex LIVE ONCE MORE!

DarkDragoonX
09-06-2004, 04:42 PM
DX:IW Sucks dick. It is but a pitiful shadow of the orgasmic goodness of the original. The skill point system is what made the first game truly shine, and so naturally they took it out of the sequel.

Not only that, but the guns are horribly unbalanced. The shotgun is the best weapon in the game, hands down. Pick up three, maybe four shotguns, and you can mod each one differently and be set for the rest of the game.

The graphics blow, too. The original Deus Ex had a beautiful dark look, reflecting the coruption of the world. EVERYTHING that wasn't a high-tech company or a secret lair seemed dirty in the original, whereas in DX2, you feel like you're in a mad Mitsubishi commercial.

This game could be considered good by itself, but it fails on so many levels as a sequel that it isn't even funny.

ShadowTiger
09-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Hm. I really hate to hear you complain so much about a game that I found absolutely brilliant, but everyone has their own tastes.

As for the skill system, I heard that they've incorporated the entire skill system into the biomod system. You really don't need the skills anymore because of how they divide the game into four generally possible playpoints, listed above, where I did the 1) 2) 3) 4) thing. You can do anything any of those ways you'd like. I didn't find DE1 as potentially sound as DE:IW. Maybe it was just me. I played them both, but I found DE:IW a bit more "planned out" to accept any of the possibilities, save for bribery on occasion, to be more than possible in almost any situation. (Notice how many vents there were? .. Exactly.)

Perhaps you're right about the weapons thing. However, I would believe that would only be appropriate in the generic first person shooter sense. This seems to be more of a tactical game than a shooter to me. So did the original, but on a lesser scale. For stealth situations, the boltcaster was a godsend. Shoot them twice, retreat back into the shadows, and wait for that quiet *thump* as they hit the ground and dropped their weapons. Then you would have to get to the body to drag it out of view. (Yes, they FINALLY got around to noticing bodies lying around. :p :laughing: ) And if you went the combat path, you could try for headshots, or flame everybody. I never touched the shotgun once. Never. I never picked one up. I stuck to either the regular old pistol, the sniper rifle for picking off the Templars in their power armor when they turned their backs, and my sniper rifle with an EMP and silencer upgrade for cameras, if necessary, (such as when the security console was directly in view of the camera. That was just dumb. :sweat: ) and later my Mag Rail for the same purpose. EMP grenades were always very useful too. I didn't use any other kind. Just EMP grenades.

The graphics, however, ... perhaps. DE:IW chugged on my AMD 1700 512 MB RAM. When I turn, (like.. move the mouse horizontally.) there would occasionally be a green or red flash for about one frame. And some of the graphics seemed a bit blurry to me up close. Maybe that was what you were talking about. .. But yes, the game did seem a bit more close up and squished than the original. Other than that, I have no complaints against the game's graphics. I thought they were pretty good. Or maybe I just didn't get all caught up in them to let them get to me.

Truth be told, I highly doubt it would have been a disappointment to many. I hope to high hell that you are one of the only people that didn't like it, DDX. I hope..