PDA

View Full Version : I think we should make a front page again...

Toolie
09-04-2004, 05:18 PM
I think it's a great idea. It's not going to do any harm, it only adds to the things to look at on here, and the only reason against it is apathy. And I can help with that because I'll volunteer to make it or help. We should put full informational pages up for each project, project downloads, informational pages for upcoming projects, contact information to increase traffic, an AGN store, and fresh witty shit on there from great people like JJMaxx, Master Ghaleon, Warlord himself, etc. Like daily/weekly articles from totally random crap like stories about shit on the forums or stuff we find online to useful project announcements about game releases and updated engines.

Seriously, I think we need some more fun and content on here other than a board, if not a little professionality to attract volunteers to help with projects. Plus I don't visit this place anymore, but I don't really feel like quitting yet, so give me something to do that's useful ;) I have a bunch of time.

I might bounce, but give me a call or get at me somehow if you really think it's a good idea, because I damn well do.

Rainman
09-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Good idea. Definitely no game reviewing crap like we used to have, but we could always try to be funny. Something like Something Awful (http://www.somethingawful.com) where they let forum goers participate. Random articles and rants will spice up the front page. A few things that we'd need to set out from the start:

- Overall theme and mood - You have to set up an overall theme that will tie the whole front page together. Not so much what your going to write, but how your going to write it.
- The range of topics - gives the writers an idea of what to well... write and directly tragets a specific audience.
- Update Schedule - One of the problem with the old front page. It was left to the writer when to update and we (yes, I was on the staff) all got lazy.
- Editor in Chief - Not Warlord because he has enough to do and a life to live. Someone who doesn't have to deal with the forums.
- Get the forum members involved - Makes them feel special and ties the front page to the forums.
And so on...

J.J. Maxx
09-05-2004, 05:13 PM
This has always been a good idea. The only problem, as Tollie said, is participant apathy. Let's admit it, all of us have our high's and low's when it comes to whether you're 'into' something or not on a day-to-day basis which is why we need alot of contributors to post things. So people who slack off for a week won't leave the main page stagnant.

The main problem, besides getting it all up and running is making sure that the stories aren't all some over-zealous freak posting a bunch of un-funny crap every 10 minutes.

goKi
09-05-2004, 07:41 PM
It sounds like a good idea, although a lot of work would have to be put into it. We would need to put together a reasonably large team just to make sure it doesnt go without an update for several days at a time, though. I'd be willing to help.

deathbyhokie
09-05-2004, 07:52 PM
The main problem, besides getting it all up and running is making sure that the stories aren't all some over-zealous freak posting a bunch of un-funny crap every 10 minutes.

you could probably set up main page moderators who select which stories get sent to the main page, and which ones are too crappy for that

Master Ghaleon
09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
I think it would be nice to have a front page again. It would bring more traffic through here since it is something else that can would gain peoples attention. Something else to have out to gain hits on to gain more members.

Mercy
09-05-2004, 09:21 PM
E/N humour sites are a dime a dozen these days. I would suggest trying to avoid being like other sites and just trying to reflect the interests of the forums. Choose a couple/few catagories such as current events, and arts & entertainment with their own assigned contributers and editors. Keep the game reviews but do not expect them to comprise the bulk of the front page. Require contibuters to turn in copy on a regular basis to maintain their positions. We are all guilty at some point of waiting until the last minute to do some assignment and without any sort of deadline at all procrastination would reign. A small staff of half a dozen could keep the front page active if everyone produced something once a week but more writers would always be better.

m.

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-05-2004, 09:55 PM
You mean this like a main page that says "AGN" and tells about what's going on and stuff, right? If so (I think I'm right), you need to make sure the Forum is the biggest link so it will not be ignored like on some sites. MAke sure people who come don't get too hooked on the front page and never leave it for the forum.
But its still got to be cool
Like weekly awards. For Example: Dumbass of the week(mayb not this one), Best Poster, Smartest Poster(like in Think Talk), Funniest Post(just a quote from something really funny that could catch attention), Biggest Flamer (mayb not this one), New Bans(heh, mayb not this one either), and something like Most popular thread, or Most read thread.
I'm just naming stuff that would make me say "Kick ass, this site is cool."
Yeah, I'm still considered a "newb" but hey, even newbs can be smart, just less people listen.

ZTC
09-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Heh, it would be interesting to see a front page ^ has some interesting ideas(people listen to n00bs, but some just don't care) Adding to what mercy said, the front page could also have member-submitted articles, kind-of like a 'letters to the editor', or something like that.

*b*
09-06-2004, 01:55 AM
I think a(another) main page would be a great idea. just as long as it dosen't eat up too much bandwidth

Drunken Tiger
09-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Im all for it.. I would try to help out if i could, so feel free to assign me to something.. As long as it doesnt take up too much time.. My internet time is somewhat limited these days.. Stupid school... -_-;;

DT

Toolie
09-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Like I said, I'd volunteer to help staff this. I don't think it should be up to anyone to post on there, I just think a small group of maybe half a dozen people to put up information and write some forum-oriented and interesting articles would suit it quite nice.

Masamune
09-06-2004, 01:05 PM
I'd love to write articles if there's a spot open. I've always wanted to do something to contribute to AGN. So I'd love to be one of the mainstream writers.

Glitch
09-06-2004, 02:56 PM
I love the idea. I was always a fan of the front page. The weekly polls were cool. I'd also love to help out in any way i could. :D

Rainman
09-06-2004, 02:58 PM
I love wrting and if I didn't have an engineering curriculum to look forward to I'd even offer to help run it. I've been thinking of ideas for websites for a long time. This being mostly because I'd like a platform to put forth my idea. This looks to be a challenge because of the aforementioned engineering curriculum. I'd be wiling to write for AGN. However, as I said, we need a dedicated editor-in-cheif who will manage what get on the main page and when that should happen.

Mercy: I don't mean to imply that it has to be a humor site. It can be anything people want. The idea of a main page seems to be popular and a steady update schedule will keep it lively and fresh. Game reviews are a time consuming article genre. You have to play the game enough to get a feel for it. Then you have to break down the experience and try to write about it in a way that will give any person who reads it a clear picture of whether or not it is a game for them. It's not for the casual writer.

Since AGN already has an established purpose beyond the article than I think it's safe to pursue this venture without fear that failure will bring about the ruin of the site.

*b*
09-06-2004, 04:14 PM
I could do some icons, maybe? I'm not too good at posting news (as Breaker knows), but maybe I could help on the graphics end of things, unless there wouldn't be any need for that. keep me in mind, though, just in case. I'd be happy to help however I can