PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Purchase

Ich
09-03-2004, 11:47 PM
I recently met a younger kid in my Gym class. He asked me if I was interested in buying a cheap laptop. I asked him how much and how fast the processor was. He said 100 bucks, and 2 GHz. He continued on that it had 128 MB of RAM, a reasonable harddisk (16 GB), and that it was last year's model. He would sell me a wireless card as well for 20 bucks more. I was quite happy that I could get a decent laptop for pretty cheap. After certifying that it does indeed boot, I am now the proud owner of a 266 MHz Celeron Compaq with 96 MB of RAM, and a 4 GB harddrive, accompanied by a damaged 6 GB harddrive. It has an "AMD Athlon 64" sticker on it, and a "Windows XP" sticker attached to the bottom. It appears to be at least 5 years old, judging by the processor power and the appearance. It has a current install of Windows 98, although he told me it was running XP. A program called "WindowBlinds" is currently running, with an XP skin applied to it. I think that's an insult right there. He said he wants the case back as well.

Before anyone suggests violence, I would like to say that I do not have any desire at all to beat up this kid. I don't really know him, but he's several years younger and way weaker than me.

Am I wrong in wanting my money back?

EDIT: I have applied Hanlon's Razor, and it holds true here: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." He is a macintosh person, and was recently ripped off and sold this by some guy he knows. The issue is in the process of resolving itself.

In an effort to make this thread have some kind of actual topic of discussion now that this one's gone, what's the worst you've ever been ripped off?

Breaker
09-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Are you stupid in not wanting your money back?

phattonez
09-04-2004, 12:27 AM
You should have checked it out better. You made the mistake of only checking if it turned on. You should have made sure that everything he said was true.

Ganonator
09-04-2004, 12:29 AM
I would ask for your money back. He was obviously misrepresenting the product, and you should not pay for that shit.

goKi
09-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Get the money back, even if you want that laptop, just so he's not content with thinking he got away with screwing you over

Master Ghaleon
09-04-2004, 12:47 AM
I would just beat his ass, thats alot better then getting 20 dollars back.