PDA

View Full Version : My newest hobby

AtmaWeapon
08-31-2004, 11:33 PM
Anyone ever fooled around with Hama/Pereler beads? It's this thing for kids where you stick beads on a pegboard, then you iron them and they fuse together.

Pro tip: Pretend beads are pixels.

http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/AGN/ness.jpg

The beads are super cheap and found at Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, and other places like that. I'd stay away from the 15,000 jar, though, it's color selection is limited to 8 colors. If you buy the 6,000 count jars and smaller, you tend to get better colors. I learned this the hard way. Ness took up all my pink flesh colors and all I have left is darker tan :/

I did a hasty job with the ironing and it shows. I was hoping to make a magnet out of him and stick him to my desk at work but the edges are already falling off. It took me an hour and a half to separate the few flesh colors and the right blue from the 6,000 beads in one bag. Ah well.

I'm going take a shot at a Koopa Troopa. :thumbsup:

AsMadAsAHatter
08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
Yeah actually i have made those before. i had no idea they were called Hama/Pereler beads but i have definately made them before, probably 6 or 7 years ago. My sister and i made them for my dad.

VEL
08-31-2004, 11:50 PM
I used to make things with those many years ago at my Grandparent's house. I think I made some Mario ones, and some others, I can't remember for sure. I probably still have them in the house somewhere.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-01-2004, 12:15 AM
I used to make a lot of those when I was younger, at my grandparents as well, just like VEL. I never made any sprites though.

On a slightly related note, there's a guy on the Minibosses (www.minibosses.com) forums who for a while made a lot of sprites out of legos. In fact, I know for a fact that another guy actually has Shadow Man (from Mega Man 3) made out of tiles on his bathroom floor. It's pretty awesome.

AtmaWeapon
09-01-2004, 01:09 AM
There's a neat thing called Pixel Blocks (so I'm too lazy to link; sue me) at ThinkGeek that supposedly works really well, but it's not uber cheap like these things. I saw it on another forum, there's people that have made entire games worth of sprites.

I want to see if maybe I can recreate an Earthbound scene :cool:

I need more flesh-colored beads, though.

Glitch
09-01-2004, 01:12 AM
I remember doing that as a kid. I made a big one of Snoopy I think...

vegeta1215
09-01-2004, 01:39 AM
I saw a website not too long ago where someone people made Mega Man boss characters and Metroids out of those (or something similar). I have to try and find that site again...

zfreak2004
09-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Ooooh... I used to do those things for crafts in Children's Church. Very fun stuff... although they never trusted us with an iron... wonder why? :sb: Also, I looked up those pixel blocks. They really look like something you could make a cool 3D mario or something out of.

ZTC
09-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Heh, I did something like that with graph paper and markers to make tiles from LoZ :)

*My 250th post! Hurrah! :) :D :cool: *

J.J. Maxx
09-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Cool! Make us a koopa and post it!

BLONDINE
09-01-2004, 07:44 PM
HaHaHaHa..I really do remember doing those things liek forever ago...but mine were suposed to be like little dogs or cats something like that and lets just say I wan't born with natural artistic ability....

Archibaldo
09-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I've used thoses before but not as how you've used them. I made strange little charm-like things using fishing line. They look pretty cool though.

ZTC
09-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Cool! Make us a koopa and post it!

Heh, I'll try, but it's not definite, because (a) I don't have a digital camera or scanner, and (b) it would take time to locate a koopa(er, which SMB game did you want it from?)

But it would be fun drawin on the graph paper again... :cool:

moocow
09-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Those things are so fun. When I helped with my sister's girl scout troop a while ago... (damn, that's been years!), we made those. So then, my mom went out and bought this huge set that came with the peg board, and all different colors of beads (already seperated). We made some cool stuff. I might have to invest in a new set... probably after we move. Hmm...

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Ah, yes, I found it. Courtesy of IkariWarrior4 from the Minibosses (www.minibosses.com) forums (http://theshizz.org/forum/index.php?act=SF&f=8).

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v36/IkariWarrior4/megamantile.jpg

JayeM
09-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I've never ironed them, but I've woven mats out of them. This wouldn't work for sprites though because they're longer than they are wide. Also the way I weave them they're stacked like bricks instead of one on top of another. But I've been thinking of doing a mosaic on top of an old coffee table, and you've given me some ideas for that...Thanx.

MANDRAG GANON
09-02-2004, 11:07 PM
I've been wanting to do this for along time acctually, I had the idea to do this like a year ago but never got around to buying beads.

Feasul
09-03-2004, 06:45 PM
I know I posted in this thread. Oh well, guess I'll repeat myself.:shrug:
That's actually MetalMan, not Shadowman. MetalMan has that thing on his forehead, that's what gives it away. Pause to admire my MegaMan knowledge. It's cool nonetheless.

EDIT: Damn, I hate when I prove myself wrong. A simple google search showed that that is indeed ShadowMan. My apologies.

ShadowTiger
09-03-2004, 06:47 PM
I once made a steamshovel out of those things. Whenever I see these, or am reminded of them for whatever reason, that steamshovel pops into my mind. ... I miss that steamshovel. :shakeno: I was only about 8 at the time.

Atma, awesome Ness. :thumbsup: Absolutely awesome.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Ha, serves you right for trying to prove me wrong, Feasul. :cool:

Seeing this sort of thing really makes me want to go buy a couple thousand lego bricks and build some sprites. Yet another thing I shouldn't be spending money on....

EDIT: Ah, here (http://photobucket.com/albums/v191/kareshi/) it is, the whole spread of lego sprites, courtesy of Kareshi, also from the Minibosses forums.