PDA

View Full Version : AGN Burger Contest

AtmaWeapon
08-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Lately I've been making burgers for myself because they are pretty cheap and easy to make. The problem is, I don't know much about making them taste good, so my few experiments with making them usually end up pretty bland.

I could just search the internet for recipes, but where's the fun in that? I decided I'd do a contest.

Here's the official rules:

Entry
To enter, post a recipe for making hamburgers in this thread. Any recipes posted in other threads will be ignored. If your recipe is some kind of secret and you don't want to post it, PM it and make a post that says you sent an entry. I will not disclose any secrets. Multiple entries are allowed. The judging begins when two members have posted recipes. Entries will be accepted until judging ends. Judging will end and no further entries will be accepted one week after all posted recipes have been judged.

Judging
The official judge of the contest is AtmaWeapon. After there are two competing members, judging will begin. If googling for "hamburger recipe" and various other phrases (but not googling for the recipe itself) reveals the recipe has been copied, this will lower the decision of your entry. If it is determined the recipe is a veiled attempt to make me eat something unhealthy or horrible, the entry, and possibly all entried by the member, will be disqualified. If ingredients for the recipe prove difficult to find, the entry may not be judged. I shall prepare the burger according to the recipe and eat it. A small review of the burger will be posted. When all entries have been tasted, I will determine the recipe that tastes the best. This may require an extra round of judging. After judging completes, prizes will be distributed.

Prizes
The member who submits the winning entry will receive a prize of approximately $20 in value, along with some form of certificate acknowledging the accomplishment. In the event of a tie, two prizes will be distributed. I originally thought of just giving money via PayPal, but I realize this is not ideal for many people. The prize and its method of delivery will be negotiated with the winner. Discussion of the prize within this thread is welcome. If members agree on a prize before the contest is terminated, that prize will become the official prize of the contest. Keep in mind the person purchasing the prize is under 21 and cannot purchase some things. There may or may not be a secondary prize. This prize and the conditions for receiving it will be determined by me. Bribes are appreciated and welcome, but will not affect the judgement of the entry.

Entry Information
I buy ground sirloin in 1 lb. units. If your recipe requires special meat or a different amount, please indicate so. If some ingredients are difficult to find, suggest places to find them. All entries will be cooked on a George Foreman's (lots of words) grill, as it is the only cooking instrument I have for making burgers. If your recipe relies on the taste of some specialized method of cooking, this will be considered while judging. Turkey meat is available and entries that use turkey instead of beef will be accepted.

The rules are subject to change at my discretion, as the internet is very good at fouling good ideas up. :p

GET POSTING!

Glitch
08-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Before I submit one.....I have one question. You like your burger's spicy at all? And can we submit for than one?

AtmaWeapon
08-28-2004, 10:21 PM
I am originally from South Louisiana and food I consider just right brings tears to my Mississippi friends' eyes, so spicy food is no problem. I think the best way to describe my taste for spicy food is good spicy food isn't spicy the instant it hits your tongue. At first, the taste is excellent, and then the pain comes as if it were punishment for enjoying the first taste.

And I think I put in the official rules that multiple entries would be accepted. :)

*edit* PotatOWNED made me LOL

Glitch
08-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Recipe Similar to my Mom's.

1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
1/2 cup cooked and minced bacon
1/2 cup bar-b-que sauce (your favorite flavor)
1 small minced onion or 2 tablespoons of dried minced onion

Any of your favorite toppings for hamburger

Mix ingredients together. Shape into patties and grill over prepared grill until done. Top with steak sauce such as A1 or Heinz or just plain ketchup and mustard will do.

__________________________________________________ _____

Very Tasty....tried myself

3 pounds hamburger
2 medium white onions
grated cheddar cheese
worcestershire sauce
salt
pepper
garlic
bacon strips

Divide hamburger in half. Make thin pattie's about the size of a cup saucer. In the middle of each pattie pile onion's and grated cheese. Put about two glop's of worcestershire sauce, light sprinkle of garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Hope you like em :) Nothing special in either one....just good ol' burgers.

Aranda
08-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Here yeah go.
Super Smoker Burgers
1&1/2 pound ground serloin
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano

Try topping it with.
Spicy Jack chees, Salsa, Alvacado, chopped peppers, sliced olives, and/or sour cream.

*b*
08-28-2004, 11:06 PM
meh, why not? I'm actually making this as I post

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup ripped bread (like unbaked crutons[sp?] or smaller)
1 egg
1 slice of cheddar cheese. put on while cooking
about a tablespoon of McCormick "Parsley Patch" Garlic & Herb Seed Free seasoning
salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
a quarter cup diced onions, if you want

it usually makes about four total patties, but you can make them bigger, I guess. they're pretty good, especially with some BBQ sauce or ketchup

[edit] fixed the recipe a little

AtmaWeapon
08-28-2004, 11:07 PM
OK that means the contest is officially underway! I cooked burgers today, so the next batch I make should be Monday or Tuesday.

One question, Aranda. You mention "enchilada sauce"... is this prepared or something I can find in the store? Any brand suggestions?

Aranda
08-28-2004, 11:10 PM
I recommend chunky enchilada sauce.

SixTen
08-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Beef
Goya Adobo
Worcestershire Sauce
Ceyenne Pepper

Thats a good burger.

AtmaWeapon
08-28-2004, 11:54 PM
I recommend chunky enchilada sauce.
So is it from the store? :confused:

Oh and SixTen is there any specific amount of Goya Adobo? Also, I'm going to have to figure out what that is LOL.

Master Ghaleon
08-29-2004, 12:52 AM
Heres something new that i tried once and was pretty good

Garlic powder
Jerk Seasoning
Beef

Pretty simple

Aranda
08-29-2004, 01:03 PM
So is it from the store? :confused:

Oh and SixTen is there any specific amount of Goya Adobo? Also, I'm going to have to figure out what that is LOL.

No, you can make your own, if it's too saucy it's more of a sloppy joe...

SixTen
08-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Adobo is a spice, it should be pretty easy to find with all the other spices...at least it is where I live. Just shake it once or twice over the patty before you cook it, do that on both sides, or you can mix it in with the meat as you are making the patty.

moocow
08-29-2004, 04:51 PM
* 1 pound ground beef chuck
* 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
* 6 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
* 2 tablespoons steak sauce
* 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

I saved this at a recipe website, and never got to actually make the burgers. They sound good, though. Lemme know if it's any good, if you try it...

ShadowTiger
08-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Er... Personally, I would think that an "efficient" hamburger would also be a prime candidate. Such "efficient" hamburgers include hamburgers which are packed down to eliminate most-to-all dribblings before they're in your hands hovering above your lap, eager to moisten your pants with its deliciousness, (http://www.purezc.com/forums/html/emoticons/icon_heh.gif) as well as packing all of the hamburger's contents into the hamburger, ensuring they cannot escape (easily) and also makes it a bit easier to both hold in your hands, and most importantly, fit in your mouth.

My hamburgers usually consist of relatively normal ingredients, but the packing is better. (This isn't as much a recipe with special ingredients, but a recipe in personal hamburger construction, in the most efficient fashion I can imagine at the moment.)

1) Take two buns. Moisten the bottom one with mayo & Garlic salad dressing. It gives it a sharp, yet delicious flavoring.
2) Place a modest amount of any sort of mustard on it. Then smoosh down the two buns on top of each other. Break them apart gently.
3) Place a thin layer of crunchy lettuce on the bottom bun, all contained as scattered as possible with as little overlap as possible, yet still not hanging out of the bun.
4) Place a layer of pickle slices on it. They can be freeform, as long as you get as much pickle as you can covering the lettuce.
5) Place the meat patty on. .. This is the easy part. :D :laughing:
6) Place one to five slices of tomato on top of it, arranged in a pyramid, or however you'd like. I personally don't like tomatos, and they also add a bit of juice which can drip down. But it's your choice.
7) Add a thin layer of ketchup on top of that. Place the top bun on top, and smoosh it down fairly hard.

You now have an efficient hamburger at your disposal to eat. Try to keep it upright. You never know how much dripping you will recieve. Remember, condiments are meant to add flavor, but not to drip. The (most) perfect combination that I've found, is similar to that of a bullseye formation, with relatively thin circles. Enjoy. :)